Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser  (Read 20127 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
« on: March 30, 2006, 11:00:05 pm »
First Drive:
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Combining styling cues from the classic Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser with modern 4WD technology, comfort and roominess, the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser is a comfortable pavement rider and awesome off-road vehicle, reports Editor Greg Wilson. "Unlike many new SUVs, the FJ Cruiser is designed to be a genuine off-road machine," he says.      More...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 11:17:58 pm »
Me likie ...  ;D

Just saw a black one on the street here today, 40's something male driver, the vehicle looks good.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 11:23:02 pm »
I'm fairily sure I saw one of these on the road today, too...  didn't even know they were available for sale yet.  Good looking vehicle...  unfortunately, I get the feeling that like most SUVs we'll see more in school parking lots than in the bush...  :(

kelli

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 11:52:47 pm »
there's a red one on the toyota lot here.. it's interesting to look at.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 12:06:30 am »
In fact, according to Akio Nishimura, Chief Engineer for the FJ Cruiser, the FJ's styling came first and the engineering came second.
"We knew that almost everything about the FJ Cruiser would have to be engineered around the exterior design," he said. "This is a highly unusual approach to vehicle development," he admitted.

That is funny because that approach is used frequently by auto companies (other than Toyota apparently). When a concept vehicle proves to be popular at an auto show and gets the green light, most of the engineering is done around the exterior design. Some of these concepts use a completely different platform/chassis by the time it is put in production yet they have to stay true to their original design. Engineering faces tremendous challenges to package powertrain and functional systems within the exterior design.

I am not a big fan of traction system using the ABS brakes for serious off-roading because in the long run, the brakes overheat and the system effciiency is greatly reduced. Real limited slips will always perform better IMO. A reviewer doing a short off-road test may not experience that and couldn't report on it.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 01:13:31 am »
You don't want limit slip on 4L doing off-roading, you want locked axles and even torque distribution. The FJ offers a locking rear differential as an option (like the VW/Porsche duo, Range Rover). I would seriously consider a FJ  if I am in the market. 

avtoller

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 01:46:39 am »
As I said in another thread, I saw my first one a few days ago and was shock at how ugly it was in the "flesh". It reminded me of a concept car gone terribly wrong.  :P

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 02:13:56 am »

Ugliness do appeal to some people.  ;D Vehicles like the Land Cruiser and G-wagon are for a certain type of people. Beauty is only skin deep, ugliness is bone deep.

mdxtasy

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 02:50:40 am »
The G-wagon looks good to me.  The FJ doesn't.  Putting the G into the same thread as the FJ is an insult to the vault like bread box.  ;)

But initial_d has one thing right, the G-wagon is for a certain type of people...people with mooneh. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 04:16:17 am »
Before the G-wagon, before the Range Rover, there was the Land Cruiser, conquered every corner on earth, the vehicle of choice for exploration/expedition.

Like the G-wagon, the (earlier) Land Cruiser(s) were used as military vehicles, and the choice for offroad enthusiasts. Long long before leather seats and climate control and the name SUV become a fashion statement, and driving up a snow covered 0.001% incline driveway is an adventure.  :)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 06:18:51 am »
You don't want limit slip on 4L doing off-roading, you want locked axles and even torque distribution. The FJ offers a locking rear differential as an option (like the VW/Porsche duo, Range Rover). I would seriously consider a FJ  if I am in the market. 

I agree with you. My point was about Toyota's simulated limited slip system... Give me the real deal if your are going to take that approach. But lockers are better for serious off-roading.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 06:28:28 am »
IMHO the styling of the FJ exudes off-road vehicleness. I quite like it compared to the mundane generic styling of the competition.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 07:38:36 am »
The rear door, which has a full-size spare tire mounted on the outside, is hinged on the left which makes the cargo area easier to access from the curb but requires some effort when the vehicle is parked on a road that slopes towards the curb.

Reviewers are never happy, are they?!  ;D

Every reviewer always complains about right-hinged swing doors, and no a vehicle is left-hinged, and this reviewer complains that it requires some effort when parked on a road that is sloped toward the curb as the door will want to close by itself, which is true, but still.  :rofl:

EDIT: Just read after that there is a locking thingy to keep the door open, which is a good idea, but seems like an extra step when a left-hinged door would have been perfectly fine. But that's just me, and it has been debated in another thread already...  ;)

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 09:38:54 am »
The rear door, which has a full-size spare tire mounted on the outside, is hinged on the left which makes the cargo area easier to access from the curb but requires some effort when the vehicle is parked on a road that slopes towards the curb.

Reviewers are never happy, are they?!  ;D

Yup, it's really annoying when people nitpik at the smallest things and then never let it go, isn't it?

Put my vote down for the FJ being questionable in looks. That said I like the G wagon a lot.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 09:54:52 am »
IMHO the styling of the FJ exudes off-road vehicleness. I quite like it compared to the mundane generic styling of the competition.

Ditto. I saw my first one the other day -- it was yellow and looked great.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 09:59:20 am »
Before the G-wagon, before the Range Rover, there was the Land Cruiser, conquered every corner on earth, the vehicle of choice for exploration/expedition.

Like the G-wagon, the (earlier) Land Cruiser(s) were used as military vehicles, and the choice for offroad enthusiasts. Long long before leather seats and climate control and the name SUV become a fashion statement, and driving up a snow covered 0.001% incline driveway is an adventure.  :)

Let's be fair here...the Landcruiser was a copy of the LandRover which is truly the legend upon which the Toyota is based.

avtoller

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 10:22:40 am »
The LandCruiser and G-Wagon both are function driven (as was the old LandRover). I find them completely acceptable in a function over form kind of way. Not pretty, but extremely efficient use of space. The FJ, on the other hand is HIGHLY styled to the detriment of function, e.g. the terrible blind spots. A major mistake in my books.  :P

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 10:31:04 am »
I don't think blind spots are a major problem when you're off-roading...

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 10:32:53 am »
Almost no one will be going offroading in these things though, so it is a concern.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 10:41:18 am »
yeah I understand that, but Toyota clearly didn't design this to commute to work or take your kids to their school... it's for serious off-roading. And besides, blind spots are a huge problem with most big/tall vehicles... the GV I test drove a while ago had terrible blind spots with its huge pilars and head restraints blocking the view... the same is true for a lot of the SUVs or trucks I have driven.