Author Topic: Drive according to conditions  (Read 7664 times)

avtoller

Re: Drive according to conditions
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 03:27:38 pm »
I feel for the families in theses situations but why must governments be held accountable for the poor judgement and lack of skill by the driving public.

:iagree: I think Snowy pretty much nailed it right from the beginning. Two things seem very much lacking in society, much to its detriment: the taking of personal responsibility for ones actions and the results thereof, and general respect/courtesy/decency toward others.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 03:39:50 pm »
Looking at the map, Holland St is a better and safe link between the two highways. Some suggestions included closing the access to Hwy 400 from Canal Rd.

You see there in lies the problem.  Because this mother was bombing along in a 4 Runner (short wheel base) and very much disconnected from the roadway and driving an SUV that is not AWD, only part time FWD, she lost the rear end and was not skilled enough to bring the Runner back into line (which is hard to do) and bingo she's in the canal.

Some suggestions included closing the access to Hwy 400 from Canal Rd.

I use that road frequently.  It's not any more dangerous than 99% of the roads in my area.  Why should her basic lack of skill and in attention prevent me from using that exit/entrance. :drive2:

If that mother had of being in a true AWD she probably would not have lost control.  Anybody that has driven a Cherokee in "part-time" at highway speed knows what I mean.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 03:43:28 pm »
I should have cited the source, I read in Toronto Star after the incident, these were local people's suggestions.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 04:24:09 pm »
I should have cited the source, I read in Toronto Star after the incident, these were local people's suggestions.  :)

I understood it wasn't your personal view.  A reporter will always find ONE person to say something stupid.  :P

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 06:31:05 pm »
I feel for the family, but to drive your child in a 4x4 down an icy road that is known to be extremely dangerous whilst talking on a mobile to your friend is just plain stupidity.   :(

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 09:02:57 pm »
Poor child.  As an adult, the woman driver is responsible for her own actions and decisions whether good or bad.   The proper solution should be zero tolerance of speeding on Canal Rd or allow vehicle assisted suicide. 

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 09:05:20 pm »
Like everyone else has said, I feel for the family, but lack of driving skill isn't the gov'ts fault.  I've driven on that road before and there are far worse roads to drive on like the old baseline road here in Oakville that is more narrow, has no shoulder, blind curves, blind hills, single cross bridges and a ravine that's much closer to the road than canel road.  Oh yeah, and no guard rail either.

I remember worse roads on the east coast when I was last there 7 years ago...
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

B2

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 09:37:42 pm »
I feel for the family, but I agree with everyone here.  It doesn't matter if the road is narrow and twisty.  If it's icy (even a straight road) control can be lost and a vehicle can end up in the ditch.

I've driven many secondary highways in British Columbia.  Because of the mountiains, they are VERY hilly, and twisty.  There's some turns that the max speed might only be 20 km/h -- I'm not joking.  Many of these roads are on cliff side WITHOUT barriers.  So one mistake with the steering wheel and you're dead.  Personally, I would never drive these roads in winter (icy) conditions even with the most capable vehicle.

This incident is similar to saying: "Some people died in a vehicle accident because of a wildlife collision.  Therefore, the government and highway are to blame because the road had no wildlife fences to prevent the animals from wandering onto the highway."

Any highway is impossible to make safe.  Everytime drive your car it's 'use at own risk'.  Maybe a warning label should be clearly printed on the instrument panel of every car, just like every coffee cup has a 'Careful, hot!' warning.

B2

dorin

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006, 10:51:39 pm »
I have little sympathy for the father here.  His daughter screwed up and screwing other people as a result isn't an intelligent way of dealing with it.  I'm willing to cut him some slack on account of his grief, but this towing stunt means he's this close to getting a "selfish stupid people :censor: me off" from me.

dorin

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 10:53:03 pm »
The proper solution should be zero tolerance of speeding on Canal Rd or allow vehicle assisted suicide. 

I heartily endorse the second solution.  Dumb drivers shouldn't make the rest of us pay for their lack of skill.

nefcanuck

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 02:50:03 pm »
Seeing this I'm reminded of a road I frequent when visiting friends in Scarborough, Rouge Valley Rd. that is used as a shortcut between East Scarborough & Pickering.

This road features steep elevation drops and rises, narrow one way bridges and two blind corners...

It'll be a cold day in HELL before I would take a road like that in the conditions that were present the day of that woman's accident.  I'm sorry but no shortcut is worth risking your life no matter how much time you might save...

NefCanuck

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 03:06:18 pm »
The real problem is a lack of proactive thinking.  No one seems to have much of it.  Where 184 Street southbound meets the Yellowhead Trail, in Edmonton, there is a new overpass, and it's a MORONIC design that has everyone turning left across traffic, even for right turns.  To make matters worse, you turn left at on a crest, meaning it's difficult to see oncoming traffic.  THEN, when it's icy, being stopped on that uphill slope means much longer times to get across to safety.  People mat it and polish that turn lane to marble-ice.

So, here I am toodling down 184 in a near-blizzard with super-icy roads.  Yup, I'm doing about 55 in the 70 zone and I don't even plan on trying that stupid turn.  I already have a plan to go through the intersection and double back, dramatically reducing my risk and stress level.  Sure, it might even mean an extra five minutes, but what the hell is five minutes?  Cripes, people live to be 90 all the time, we can't spare five stupid minutes to decrease our stress and increase our safety?

If I drove that Canal road on a regular basis, I'd think, "hhhmm, icy conditions would be bad here.  If I have to drive here in poor conditions I'll really get my speed down and pay close attention."  So what if some bonehead in his Ram gives you the bird 'cause you're doing 40 in the 60?  I'd rather have some hat-head arse mad at me than be dead in the water, literally.

I do wish that engineers would pay close attention to road design and safety, and I think they do for the most part, but there is a point where you say "so what if it's a bad design, I want to LIVE."

Gabbing on the phone and trusting her SUV to save her on the ice were the main contributing factors here.  Sad, but true.  Stack her bad judgement on top of a poor design and you've got a horrific event.

mar1990

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 11:19:14 pm »
The title of this thread reminds me of the white knuckled drive from Ottawa to Toronto along the 401 back in February.  It was a Thursday night and freezing rain / snowing.  Our van has new snow tires, but still handles like a cow (as a previous poster had said).  I rarely got over 70km/h.  I was being passed by beaters to Mercedes to SUV's and everything in between.  The worst were 18 wheelers, passing literally within inches.  Both edges of the road were covered in snow/ice, with just the center clear, so they were reluctant to stay left.  The only vehicle I passed was a 'cross country' type Volvo.  It had silver rims, rather than the telltale black rims, so I have no idea if it had snow tires.

Just unbelievable... :shake:

barrie1

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 11:43:24 pm »
I feel sorry for the family of the lady as well but I do believe they are not the 1st people to be killed on this stretch of road at all. There has been a No. of others killed here as well along this stretch of road. Here in london we planned on a New overpass on Hale St. which is only a block from another one at Highbury Ave. This is in the East end of town and the folks in the old North end have raised such a sqwauk about it being so close to the other one that it is on hold now. The money was all in place but they want it in their area. They don't seem to care or know that since around 1950 over 50 have died at this railroad crossing. They only worry about theirs and the less then 5 that have passed on there. Almost 3 years wasted over this BS.  :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2006, 07:08:41 am »
They don't seem to care or know that since around 1950 over 50 have died at this railroad crossing. They only worry about theirs and the less then 5 that have passed on there. Almost 3 years wasted over this BS. :)

Barrie - that is a crossing that has gates and lights so the people that get killed there just don't respect the signals (ie: trying to beat the lights).  Again another story of a city throwing money to build things for stupid people.

Offline times

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: lots
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 05:18:49 pm »
Well as we all know that Bradford Canal has took a lot of lives over the years they said gaurd rails couldnt be put up but that was all wrong Bradford has lots of experiance in law suits they seem to find the right lier i mean lawyer to represent them more so when the lier i mean lawyer you have to represent you is an idiot . That road is a killer it takes peoples lives to make it safe for a while then it starts all over again more people will perish on that road its just a matter of time .

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 05:24:52 pm »
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 05:46:06 pm »
^^^^No kidding Fo!

And WTF is a "lier?"

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 05:53:31 pm »
^^^^No kidding Fo!

And WTF is a "lier?"

A liar...en francais??  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »
1. One who lies down; one who rests or remains, as in concealment.

That would make one more prone to being in a traffic accident, were one to lie in the road. ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken