Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 494429 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2014, 09:56:49 pm »
Can it really be applied properly without holes?

Pretty well everywhere except the rockers.

As mentioned, it's not really a drill bit, but more akin to a punch.  Very clean cut.

Look at Tortise's Krowned F150  inherited from his dad.  Those era 150s were insane for rust.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #321 on: February 23, 2014, 06:47:06 am »

As mentioned, it's not really a drill bit, but more akin to a punch.  Very clean cut.

Look at Tortise's Krowned F150  inherited from his dad.  Those era 150s were insane for rust.
I do understand why every gets their underwear in a knot, the plugs are airtight at a couple inwgsp no way anything is getting in

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:44 am »

I do understand why every gets their underwear in a knot, the plugs are airtight at a couple inwgsp no way anything is getting in

Exactly ,a few holes covered with plugs are better than an untreated car full of rust. My white car has white plugs,hardly noticeable but a white vehicle untreated is very noticeable. A lot of anal people on here. ;)
Even if the water gets in,the Krown displaces the water so the vehicle won't rust in the rocker area.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:01:05 am by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 24, 2014, 08:54:02 pm »
The tool that make the holes might be very good, but it still depends on who is using it.   The hole cutter and plugs are not magical.

I believe that properly applied Krown will make you car last for a long time.  However, I did have a less than ideal experience on my last car.

I had:
- Holes that developed surface rust in under 3 years (even though never missed an application).  These holes were poorly placed and susceptible to road grime and salt.   These were fixed without question.   This means my car was welded and repainted.
- Plugs that were not re-installed by installer after a visit..
- Plugs that fell out at some point
- Plugs that didn't seem to ever sit flat and get a nice seal

Plugs that fell out were attributed to the sheet metal in that area being too thick.   I was under the impression Krown installers followed hole placement guides for each model,  and that these guidelines are updated every year.   That doesn't seem to jive with my experience.

Maybe in the long run this is still better than not doing it... but it certainly doesn't feel good.

So flame away at the truth!   

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #324 on: February 24, 2014, 09:25:00 pm »

Learn by my personal example, take responsibility for your insanity.   ;D

:ttiwwp:

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #325 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:43 pm »

Why treat one car differently from the other, the holes don't damage the car in any way.

When I took the M3 to Krown, I asked, "Would you need to drill holes?" They just answered yup and proceeded to point out several holes they'd make. Didn't really look at the car, the holes would be made very quickly and likely weren't even going to be symmetric from one side to the other.

I was told Krown makes as many holes as it needs to, to gain quick access, so that they don't waste any time. Makes sense.

So I took the car to the Robinson's and asked, "Would you need to drill holes?" The answer was, "Let's take a look at the car..." They lifted it, examined it. Said "This car doesn't require holes, it already has good built in access points" and proceeded to show me where they were and how they would access the parts of the car that should be sprayed. When I was there, they had a few other performance cars, and they showed me their work (upon request) after it was done.

So that's why I had the M done at Robinson's. 

My 10-year old miata? The more holes the merrier! The local Krown did a good job.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:29:56 pm by Julie »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #326 on: February 24, 2014, 10:58:45 pm »

Why treat one car differently from the other, the holes don't damage the car in any way.

I was told Krown makes as many holes as it needs to, to gain quick access, so that they don't waste any time. Makes sense.

So I took the car to the Robinson's and asked, "Would you need to drill holes?" The answer was, "Let's take a look at the car..." They lifted it, examined it. Said "This car doesn't require holes, it already has good built in access points" and proceeded to show me where they were and how they would access the parts of the car that should be sprayed. When I was there, they had a few other performance cars, and they showed me their work (upon request) after it was done.

Interesting.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #327 on: February 25, 2014, 07:29:09 pm »

Learn by my personal example, take responsibility for your insanity.   ;D

:ttiwwp:
Are you with me or against me? ...I forget

0rbis25

« Reply #328 on: March 02, 2014, 03:37:54 pm »

When I took the M3 to Krown, I asked, "Would you need to drill holes?" They just answered yup and proceeded to point out several holes they'd make. Didn't really look at the car, the holes would be made very quickly and likely weren't even going to be symmetric from one side to the other.

Krown garages as a whole follow a standard drill pattern for most cars, (we try and make both sides symmetrical) some cars are different that is where our drill pattern sheets come into play. We are obligated to follow certain drill patterns in case there was ever a corrosion issue. These holes are for access to tight areas and speed. That being said each garage will drill holes perhaps slightly different from their Krown neighbor to the South...but overall they will be the same.

IE: Holes drilled improperly or in incorrect spots would make the shop libel and we would have to pay for repairs out of our own pockets!otherwise Krown Head Office pays for warranty work!

We are encouraged to use both manufacture holes and custom holes in order to get the product where it needs to get! When a customer asks us to do a vehicle without drilling we oblige...no problem, however we do inform the customer that said vehicle will not be covered by the Krown warranty and make note of that on the invoice.

The holes are drilled with a 3/8 step-bit drill, makes for a clean round hole, some holes can present a challenge because of a sub frame, thankfully we have small right angle applicators with a very narrow tip to fog between frame and skin.

The plugs themselves are not airtight or watertight but do provide a clean finish, some plugs can fall out esp if a driver was to accidentally hit plug with their foot entering or leaving a vehicle, also some drill bits as they heat up or get dull can create holes just a tad larger then the plugs, easily remedied if the sprayer or the person plugging vehicles takes note.

The holes from drilling can increase the chance of corrosion around the hole, esp the lower ones on the rockers or those that because of a poor design flaw allow all the salt and moisture to build up on rocker panel and dog legs. (IE Chev Impala)

We are supposed to use either grease or Vaseline (white or clear) around the holes.

Offline trebororr

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Mazda 3, 2005 Mazda RX-8, 2000 Ford Taurus
« Reply #329 on: October 10, 2014, 07:32:19 pm »
I have used Known and Rust Check in the past.  I also had from the dealer (Ford and Mazda) used a gel coating for rust proofing rather then the oil.  I like the gel as it doesn't drip as much.  Does anyone know what the product is and if other businesses other than the dealers are using this product currently.  Paid about $200 for the gel, many years ago.

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
« Reply #330 on: October 11, 2014, 06:12:53 pm »
I have used Known and Rust Check in the past.  I also had from the dealer (Ford and Mazda) used a gel coating for rust proofing rather then the oil.  I like the gel as it doesn't drip as much.  Does anyone know what the product is and if other businesses other than the dealers are using this product currently.  Paid about $200 for the gel, many years ago.

When I purchased my car I looked seriously at several rust proofing options in light of Mazda's reputation. The dealer offered the traditional undercoating as well as a wax like rustproofing spray applied once, called ProForm I believe, which was dripless but would still creep. Several local people who used it spoke highly but no one knew of the long-term results. What I researched was it would harden over time and pose some of the same problems as undercoating.

I was initially going to go the Krown route myself as my brother-in-law has been doing it to his vehicles in Alberta for years, but after discussing with him he dissuaded me for the reasons mentioned here, ie it is incredibly messy (he's on acreage so it doesn't matter to him), holes are drilled and more concerning to me was it does affect various rubbers adversely. He suggested another product called Fluid Film which I ended up using and have been quite happy with thus far re application and results.

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
  • Cars: 2002 Chevrolet S-10 Xtreme
« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2015, 04:40:57 pm »
Sorry I'm resurrecting an old topic, but I followed this thread a while back with intend to sometime in the future try all these rust preventative products.

I've been a Krown consumer for 11 years now. I've been pretty happy with the results. I sprayed a 2006 GMC Yukon XL with Krown since knew, and it's almost rust free since day one. It’s not perfect but its amazing how different the same model vehicles looked when you compare ones that have been rust proofed to ones that have not. It really takes away the appeal of a vehicle very quickly.

To those who believe that Rust Proofing is not worth the cost or not effective, I can agree and disagree with their statement. The only reason I can agree would be because they are leasing or only keeping the vehicle short term.  Otherwise, if your keeping it long term, I personally believe that Rust Proofing helps prevent rust as long as three simple rules are followed (importance in exact order):

1) the quality workmanship of the application
2) its maintenance is kept up (meaning annual applications)
3) the quality of the product itself

I’m glad many people here see the importance of the quality of the applicators here and endorse them. The only way to improve quality is to promote and reward those (with our business) that preform the best work. I’m also happy to see many people annually apply it. The quality of the product is also important but it’s a grey area in my eyes. It’s hard to tell how well a product really works because it relies heavily on the quality of the application and the annual keep up.

I also hear a lot of talk about how some like the thin oil because it creeps, others like the thicker oil because it actually stays on, others don’t because it accumulates a lot of dirty and dust. It’s easy for many of us to judge a product because we can’t see it, therefore its not there and not doing its job.

The Products:

I decided to purchase all available store shelf rust proofing products and see for myself the viscosity and consistency. Since I’m not a chemist, I can not say much more than what I can see, touch, and smell. I wish we had someone who could test the ingredients and determine which product has more or the best rust inhibitor agents. Much like Used Oil Analysis you see done over at bobistheoilguy.com. It would be great to know which manufacture is using better protective agents and what goes into each manufactures products.

WD-40:

Even though it isn’t a rust proofing product, I decided to add it in. Its basically just a water displacement which is one aspect of rust prevention. So obviously, in terms of effectiveness we all know the WD-40 is the weakest product of all of these listed. It is also the thinnest, almost like water. It may leave a film, but its so thin that it wouldn’t hold up under our vehicles.

Rust Check (Red):

Rust Check’s original rust formula. It’s viscosity is very similar to the WD-40, maybe a tad thicker but I believe is too thin for automotive use. I almost feel like this is a great product for the household like the WD-40. It leaves a very thin film.

Rust Check (Coat & Protect):

Of the two Rust Check products, this is more of an automotive rust prevention product compared to the red can. I still dislike the consistency. It’s definitely thicker and should hold up much better than the Rust Check red can above but I feel like it’s light and the product gobs together. It has a greasy feel and leaves behind a thin film.

Krown’s T40:

I feel like they changed the viscosity of the formula a tad since they released their new product design. The product is a tad thicker and sprays foamier and whiter than what I use to remember a few years ago. I just don’t remember, so I won’t say with a definite. It’s a tad thinner than Rust Check’s Coat & Protect and without the gobbiness it produces. It spreads out more evenly, has a greasy feel and leaves a thin film behind.

Fluid Film:

This is the Fluid Film AS packaged for aerosol cans, not to be confused with the NAS product which is thicker. Since I have the thinner product of Fluid Film, I would put the thickness similar to Corrosion Free, almost like a pudding, no transparency, with a distinctive smell to it. It’s stickier than all the rest, has a greasy feel and leaves a thin film behind as well. I would like to get my hands on the NAS to see how much thicker it would be.

Corrosion Free’s Rust Cure Formula 3000 with CSC850:

Its a clear/greenish gel with bubbles that fizz a bit. To the touch, its a lot thicker, probably the thickest of all the products here and feels like a gel. It’s sticky, but not as sticky as Fluid Film and leaves a film as well. I also purchased the DIY 4L jug of this product and it’s viscosity is thicker.

Conclusion:
I put this together to show people who are new to rust proofing or are curious about the other products, what the viscosity of each product looks like. if you have any input into this, feel free to chime in.

I can’t say one product flows or creeps more than another. Remember, temperature changes viscosity. So in the summer, all oils will be thinner and thicker in the winter. I tested this in an indoor environment at room temperature. If you prefer a thicker product, go with Corrosion Free or Fluid Film. If you want an in-between you can use Krown or Rust Check’s Coat & Protect. If you prefer thin then Rust Check Red. If you definitely want it to rust, use WD-40.

In terms of them collecting dirty and debris, they are all petroleum based. They will all collect some amount of dirt and debris. The thinner product will collect a smaller amount and dry up faster than a thicker product. That also translates to less clean up and prep before your annual application. A thicker oil will cake on more dirt, which means you really should clean up the under body every year or few years at best. Best practice is to clean up the underbody every year and a good applicator will do so.

With my experience using Krown T40, my rubber door seals have sagged and are damaged. With my experience on my other vehicle and from what I heard around the forums, I would recommend people to spray their rubber sealants with a protectant before applying any rust proofing and clean up after a rust proofing application. As good as the applicator may be, he can not always control overspray, especially with thinner products where there is a mist in the air. Some applicators will do this for you. That’s the only downside I see with Rust Proofing.

One final note, I think its great we have this many products to choose from. Competition is great for the consumer. Lower costs and better quality. And any of these applications listed above (except WD-40) will always be better than applying nothing. You just need to find out what works best for you in terms of cost, location and quality of the application.

Coming Up:
Not sure if you guys are interested, but I’m just doing a little test for myself with each product to see how well bare metal coated with each product holds up to the rusting process.

I am testing how well double headed spikes (no galvanized) hold up to a coating of each product. They will be simulating a weathered environment exposed to the main elements that cause them to rust: water, salt, air. I am going to accelerate the result process by spraying each coated spike with hydrogen peroxide and sprinkled with salt. I’ll store them in a container out in the open.

I’ll take pictures of the process and can keep you guys up to date with what I see and how well each product protects the metal. I'm just curious how well all these products preform in creating a barrier with metal and the environment around them.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:24:09 am by philipfreire »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #332 on: February 01, 2015, 09:24:17 pm »
Good post.
I've been getting all my cars Krown'd once per year. Then I've been buying the Corrosion Free cans and spraying the wheel wells and other known trouble areas (car specific) on a monthly (ish) basis...I do like the thickness of it, and it seems to remain on the car longer. Despite the fact that my vehicles are all older, everything is rust free. Like you said though, it's only worth the effort if you plan on keeping a car long term.

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2015, 06:28:18 pm »
Short Term Test
Exposing metal that has been treated with store bought rust proofing to an environment that accelerates rust for a period of 5 days.

What I Used:

1x Hydrogen Peroxide
1x Table Salt
1x Spray Bottle
6x Double-headed Spikes (non-galvanized)
1x Single-headed Spike (non-galvanized)

The Procedure:
The environment was indoor at room temperature. I only had six double-headed spikes and I needed seven, so I just used one single-headed spike. The single-headed spike was unprotected and exposed to the mixture of hydrogen peroxide and salt. The other six were coated. Each double-headed spike were coated with a generous amount of product and labelled individually. I let it sit for an hour to allow time for penetration and excess to runoff. Then I used a spray bottle and generously sprayed hydrogen peroxide on each spike. The final step, I generously sprinkled salt onto the spikes.

Results:
Within minutes the rust began to form on the unprotected spike. Shortly after the other spikes began to discoloured. This could just be the reaction of the oil and the mixture of hydrogen peroxide and salt. I waited 5 days, then clean off each spike and see how well or poorly they protected the metal.

Unprotected:

Above is the results after 5 days. Rust has formed instantly. This has not been touched.
Below, I cleaned the spike with a simple paper towel to remove any loose contamination. Rust has definitely formed. The results are expected when you don’t coat or protect any metal from the environment.

WD-40:

Above is the results after 5 days. It looks almost as bad as the unprotected spike. This has not been touched.
Below, I cleaned the spike with a simple paper towel to remove the product and any loose contamination. Rust has definitely formed. As you can see, the WD-40 did offer a bit of protection, but there’s been some early signs of rust beginning to form.

Rust Check (Red):

Above is the results after 5 days. Looks much better than the WD-40. But it looks like a bit of rust has formed as well. This has not been touched.
Below, I cleaned the spike with a simple paper towel to remove the product and any loose contamination. Rust has definitely formed, in some areas they are worse. The results are pretty disappointing to say the least. It looks on par or slightly worse than WD-40.

Rust Check (Coat & Protect):

Above is the results after 5 days. Looks a tad worse than the Rust Check original formula. This has not been touched.
Below, I cleaned the spike with a simple paper towel to remove the product and any loose contamination. There is visible signs of discolouration beginning to form in a certain area. The rest of the metal seams to be holding up pretty well. Results are much better than the Rust Check original formula (red can) and the WD-40.

Krown’s T40:

Above is the results after 5 days. Looks worse than both the Rust Check products. This has not been touched.
Below, I cleaned the spike with a simple paper towel to remove the product and any loose contamination. There is visible signs of discolouration beginning to form throughout the metal. It is more spread out than the Rust Check Coat and Protect.

Fluid Film (AS):

Above is the results after 5 days. Looks even worse than the Krown, almost like the WD-40. This has not been touched.
Below, I cleaned the spike with a simple paper towel to remove the product and any loose contamination. There is visible signs of discolouration. Looks very similar to Krown’s T40 results but slightly worse.

Corrosion Free’s Rust Cure Formula 3000 with CSC850:

Above is the results after 5 days. This is obviously the cleanest looking out of the bunch. It looks like hardly any rust has formed at all. Just a bit of colouring on the head and the bottom of the spike. This has not been touched.
Below, I cleaned the spike with a simple paper towel to remove the product and any loose contamination. One tiny visible sign of rust formation. The rest of the metal shows no signs of discolouration and formation of rust. The most effective product of the group.

Conclusion:
I’m really surprised at the results. Corrosion Free’s Rust Cure Formula 3000 with CSC850 came out on top. It surpassed the competition by far more than I thought one product would. Maybe those Canadian Army reports are really accurate. What made me the happiest was that the product is also the cheapest (if you look hard enough and don’t look at buying at Canadian Tire). My negatives about this product comes to who they affiliate with to do the rust proofing. Canadian Tire shop’s is not known for quality work. And its a shame there isn’t many more Corrosion Free Zones with reputable shops. Also I think they have the worst product packaging, corporate branding and product advertising. This is because I studied in design, so I may be a tad too critical. I know the product is really what matters, but in todays world, product design and advertising is also as important.

Rust Check’s Coat & Protect surprised me. It actually held up pretty well! I have established this negative view on the company because of everything you read in the media. But that’s my fault for believing what your hear. Maybe part of it is true because the Rust Check’s original, thinner formula (red can) was extremely disappointing. Honestly it looks no better than WD-40, which you can purchase for far cheaper. They are both thin oils. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Krown’s T40 formula preformed alright. I been using this product for years with good results, although not completely perfect results. The thing is Krown is so big, they are everywhere and even Americans recognize it. You can thank corporate image, product design and advertising. They have established such a big foot print in Canada and their product does hold up alright. Maybe not the best. At least they keep the cost to consumers relatively competitive.

Fluid Film AS really disappointed me in this result. It performed alright, but after all the great things you read on the internet about a product, I was expecting more. The cost of importing this product into this country is already ridiculous and even if you get it at a discount, its not really that much better. It may be the most unique formula compared to the others, but it let me down in expectations. Maybe the NAS formula, being thicker would hold up better.

WD-40 is no surprise. I just threw it into the mix because it is a household name now a days. It’s a very light viscosity oil that’s a great multi purpose product around the house. I just find it funny it produced similar results to Rust Check’s red can.

Disclaimer:
Take this with a grain of salt if you like (pun intended). ;)  I am not affiliated with any of these product brands, endorsed or receiving any kind of compensation from them. I am a car enthusiast and a regular blue collar worker who values his money just like anyone else. I just wanted to find out what product works best with the resources I have. With that being said, this is not a scientific test. I am not a chemist. I am also aware this does not fully represent real world testing when the product can be exposed to extreme heat, cold, water, rocks, and other chemicals like salt. This is solely done for my personal amusement with my opinions and I thought I would share it with other car enthusiast.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:08:48 pm by Phil86 »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2015, 06:36:54 pm »
I appreciate the effort put in, but I wouldn't say that was a controlled test.

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2015, 06:40:00 pm »
Thanks. What would you say would be a controlled test? I would love to see someone on the boards come up with one so maybe we can get more accurate results?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #336 on: February 02, 2015, 07:00:46 pm »
For the purposes of what this is trying to accomplish, I'd say that's a pretty thorough and well-planned out test. Honestly, we're not talking about saving lives here, just some rust, so it's good enough for me.

I guess I'll keep buying the Rust Cure 3000. It does suck that they don't have many reputable outlets spraying it. I had one shop spray RC 3000 once and they put it on thin, I complained and they made an effort to correct, but I wasn't impressed overall. I have a feel that RC3000 doesn't discount their bulk product as heavily as Krown does to their dealers, so the random shops that use RC3000 tend to be a little cheap with it.

Nice Xtreme BTW!

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
« Reply #337 on: February 02, 2015, 07:23:16 pm »
For the purposes of what this is trying to accomplish, I'd say that's a pretty thorough and well-planned out test. Honestly, we're not talking about saving lives here, just some rust, so it's good enough for me.

I guess I'll keep buying the Rust Cure 3000. It does suck that they don't have many reputable outlets spraying it. I had one shop spray RC 3000 once and they put it on thin, I complained and they made an effort to correct, but I wasn't impressed overall. I have a feel that RC3000 doesn't discount their bulk product as heavily as Krown does to their dealers, so the random shops that use RC3000 tend to be a little cheap with it.

Nice Xtreme BTW!

I read one too many similar stories like you just mentioned. I have never been to a Corrosion Free Zone dealer simply because. I'm glad they attempted to correct the issue but I know it sucks that you weren't completely satisfied especially since I hear their applications costs more than Krown. Only reason I have sticked with Krown is because they are everywhere and we kinda have a good idea which are the better places. I'm thinking your right that most shops buy into Krown because of the bulk pricing. Shop owners are not in it to loose money or hardy make any. One time at Torbram Krown the owner told me he spent 1600 for every barrel of Krowns oil. I laughed at him and said your getting ripped off because a barrel of oil was under 70 dollars at the time. That's some serious mark up for some additives. I'm thinking that's more of what a consumer would pay if they wanted a barrel. I would almost think they pay maybe half of that. Who knows.

Not sure if your a DIY kinda guy. If you want you can get a rust proofing gun for 25 dollars and if you look at TSC stores across Ontario. They usually have discounts on RC3000. I picked up a 4L jug for 39.99 in December instead of the regular 59.99. I think it's on sale now for 49.99. Just keep an eye out. If your not a DIYer you can buy some cans and touch them up. Canadian tires sells it for a ridiculous amount at 12.99. TSC has it for 9.99 and last week they were 40% off at 4.99. Great time to pick it up. You can even get Canadian tire to price match and they will beat it by 10% in Canadian tire money which they did for me last week.

Thanks for the comment on the Xtreme :) She's been babied. Has never seen winter and gets rust proofed twice a year.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 02, 2015, 07:50:41 pm »
Good to know TSC carries it, I've been buying the $12.99 cans at CT and using them sparingly. I also didn't think about getting a gun and my own jugs, not a bad idea. I have a lift in the garage so it would be easy to do, might make a heck of a mess in my garage though.

Nice job keeping the S10 rust free...They tend to have rust issues. I've babied my Sonoma as well, I drove it through 6 winters and at that time I was getting it Krown'd twice a year and touching up with Rust Cure on a weekly basis....Kinda OCD I guess. 230,000kms on it now, but it's more of a summer toy/backup vehicle now and rarely sees bad weather anymore.

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
« Reply #339 on: February 02, 2015, 08:40:18 pm »
Good to know TSC carries it, I've been buying the $12.99 cans at CT and using them sparingly. I also didn't think about getting a gun and my own jugs, not a bad idea. I have a lift in the garage so it would be easy to do, might make a heck of a mess in my garage though.

Nice job keeping the S10 rust free...They tend to have rust issues. I've babied my Sonoma as well, I drove it through 6 winters and at that time I was getting it Krown'd twice a year and touching up with Rust Cure on a weekly basis....Kinda OCD I guess. 230,000kms on it now, but it's more of a summer toy/backup vehicle now and rarely sees bad weather anymore.

You have a lift!? Your golden! Just buy huge tarps at princess auto or if you have some laying around but I don't think you will need it because this stuff sprays pretty nicely. There's no mist like with thinner products. Just play with the PSI between 90-100 to find what you like best. You sound as much OCD as I am when it comes to vehicles. More reason for you to do it yourself. No one will put it on better than an OCD person lol

BTW your Sonoma is beautiful! :o :inlove: :inlove:  :o. I assume she has the 4.3L? Is it manual? 4x4?
I'm in the market for a Blazer zr2 Black. But do you have any idea how hard it is to find one as clean as I want it? Lol my Xtreme has the 4.3l with 5 speed. She only has 120,000. Glad there's other s series trucks kept in good condition. I love these trucks. Always have since I was younger. This is my third. Had a 1994 s10 in bahama blue but she was all rusted. That's what started my rust proofing OCDness. Then got a Jimmy but drove her to the end of her life.

You also got a canyon? Love them. I think they are a worthy replacement to the s series. Unlike the last generation Colorados/Canyons. I was looking into one but financially I can't right now.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:42:19 pm by Phil86 »