Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493486 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #300 on: January 02, 2014, 09:47:11 pm »
How much labour required for the average car, 2 hours?

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #301 on: January 02, 2014, 10:03:00 pm »

Krown? 45 minutes.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 02, 2014, 10:08:39 pm »
That's why I drive 45 minutes to the Bolton location every time I need it done rather than the location 10 minutes from me...The owner in Bolton is a real stickler for perfection, and even lets me come into the back and watch if I please.

We watch our neighbourhood Krown folks apply it as well. (All their customers can watch.)

It will vary within the same shop as well. One of the guys was meticulous; the other was less OCD. It was still satisfactory though. (I realize I am pretty OCD and cannot expect others to be the same.  :P)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2014, 10:15:32 pm »

Krown? 45 minutes.

It would take me an hour just to clean the surfaces to prepare for the spray.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 02, 2014, 10:27:59 pm »

Krown? 45 minutes.

Oh, you meant doing it yourself. Sorry, read too fast.

Are you considering doing it for your TT-RS? When I drove my M3 in the winter, I took it to a different place. It's an hour away and it cost more. But they do some pretty nice cars and have a good reputation. Also, no holes. (So far, I'm not convinced I need to drill through FGC steel...)  They use Corrosion Free (as opposed to Krown). I don't think it really makes a difference, I also think the quality of the application is most important.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 02, 2014, 10:43:12 pm »

Krown? 45 minutes.

Oh, you meant doing it yourself. Sorry, read too fast.

Are you considering doing it for your TT-RS? When I drove my M3 in the winter, I took it to a different place. It's an hour away and it cost more. But they do some pretty nice cars and have a good reputation. Also, no holes. (So far, I'm not convinced I need to drill through FGC steel...)  They use Corrosion Free (as opposed to Krown). I don't think it really makes a difference, I also think the quality of the application is most important.

Agreed, I don't mind paying for good quality work. pm me the dealer info or post it here.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #306 on: January 03, 2014, 09:22:58 am »
The "Shortsighted Cheap and Lazy" respond... ::) fools and their money are soon parted

...attributed to a Car Stealership "somewhere" :stick: :hello: .......My 1997 Ranger
 laughs in yer...FACE.................we call her RUSTY...'cos she shows up every day ..and STARTS..
 so far no leg HUMPING from (Zeibart :-* ;) ) and KROWN'ed Queens for a Day "associates"..

move to San Diego if ya don't want rust on yer KAR after 5 plus years..No Habla Inglese???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #307 on: January 03, 2014, 10:13:03 am »
On my new car I'm putting my faith in modern galvanization and car washes!

Good luck!

As for a car being worthless after 10 years, dollar-wise in a trade-in, yeah pretty much. I divide my new-car purchase price by 10 and then 15. I like the divide-by-15 number much better and after that many years, I still gave my rust-free car away for $3K to a good acquaintance.

Then you have corroded fasteners to deal with during repair jobs. If you DIY, you end up cursing; if the shop does the work, you end up paying.

Your car, your choice and your money.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #308 on: January 03, 2014, 10:32:58 am »
They use Corrosion Free (as opposed to Krown). I don't think it really makes a difference.

The Department of National Defence tested some rustproofing products. We tested a few products in our DND labs that included Krown back in the mid 90s and another branch of DND (DRDC) tested products in 2006 that included Corrosion Free. You can Google and find those test reports.

There was a magazine article I once came across discussing Corrosion Free where this shop owner in Mississauga claims that Corrosion Free is the choice of the Canadian Military. Well maybe some DND field units, but not as far as I know, based on our testing, they chose to use Krown.

I also think the quality of the application is most important.

I've been using Krown since 1990 and have been applying it myself since 1999 to make sure it was done right. Although, the product creeps so well, even if they miss a spot, it'll get coated in a short time. I never had holes drilled. Both the 1990 Toyota and 1999 Honda were sold rust-free at 16 and 15 years respectively.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 03, 2014, 11:01:03 am »
Time for a few good chuckles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkTpGrTrftw

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 03, 2014, 07:47:55 pm »

Agreed, I don't mind paying for good quality work. pm me the dealer info or post it here.

The shop I go to is Robinson's Automotive. Here's their website: http://www.robinsonautomotive.com/rustproofing.php

I've had my M3 done twice. After the application, upon request, they show me what they've done.

That video further cements the point that the quality of the application is likely the most important factor...

We use a local shop to Krown the miatas.... rather than our local Canadian Tire which uses Corrosion Free. I don't care about the drip, I think the guys in the Krown shop are better. Given that they are Mazdas, we are also a-ok with holes being drilled so that the product can be applied eeeeverywhere....

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 03, 2014, 11:06:56 pm »
The shop I go to is Robinson's Automotive.

Yeah, that is the guy who made some claims on his web site.

The Canadian Military also recognizes the quality of Corrosion Free's Formula 3000 Rustproofing as it has become their choice rustproofing for protecting their military vehicles.

It has? Not according to my coworkers who performed some testing at the DND labs I worked at.

As far as that video went...of course it doesn't drip. How can it drip if there is hardly any rustproofing product on the car.  :rofl:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 03, 2014, 11:15:28 pm »

The shop I go to is Robinson's Automotive. Here's their website: http://www.robinsonautomotive.com/rustproofing.php

I've had my M3 done twice. After the application, upon request, they show me what they've done.

That video further cements the point that the quality of the application is likely the most important factor...

We use a local shop to Krown the miatas.... rather than our local Canadian Tire which uses Corrosion Free. I don't care about the drip, I think the guys in the Krown shop are better. Given that they are Mazdas, we are also a-ok with holes being drilled so that the product can be applied eeeeverywhere....
Thanks Julie  :thumbup:

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #313 on: February 16, 2014, 07:40:48 pm »
Couple things I learned during my last Krown spraying. Yes they put holes around the inside door but they don't actually drill them in the standard fashion. They use a special tool that doesn't create friction (or as much). Before capping the hole they treat it with a  product (forget what is now)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:44:28 pm by RunsinLight »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #314 on: February 17, 2014, 07:07:54 am »
Saw a known  truck heading into Joyce view Pen the other day
I guess the Pens must get Caravans done

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #315 on: February 17, 2014, 06:29:13 pm »
Couple things I learned during my last Krown spraying. Yes they put holes around the inside door but they don't actually drill them in the standard fashion. They use a special tool that doesn't create friction (or as much). Before capping the hole they treat it with a  product (forget what is now)

Our local Krown just soaks the black plugs in Krown before insertion.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #316 on: February 17, 2014, 06:33:26 pm »
Saw a known  truck heading into Joyce view Pen the other day
I guess the Pens must get Caravans done

The Meaford army base drive their Chevy crewcabs and those ancient transport 6 wheelers to the OS location and they do them outside.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 17, 2014, 06:38:53 pm »

Our local Krown just soaks the black plugs in Krown before insertion.

My local krown shop soaks them before forgetting to install them... or maybe the stuff lets them slip out..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:47:08 pm by kardood69 »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 17, 2014, 06:57:04 pm »
My local krown shop soaks them before forgetting to install them... or maybe the stuff lets them slip out..

Well when you finally get your first car you'll find out first hand.  :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #319 on: February 22, 2014, 09:01:40 pm »

Can it really be applied properly without holes?

Why treat one car differently from the other, the holes don't damage the car in any way.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...