Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493515 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #280 on: October 16, 2013, 02:30:33 pm »
so i took some time to read this entire thread from start to finish   :o

As my next car is going to be a keeper I'm very much on the fence of doing something.
When I plan to keep my cars i'm very anal about making sure I keep it clean, always spray and wash out the wheel wells.  In the winter and after driving on dirty roads (even in the summer) I get on my hands and knees and spray under the car to make sure all the crap gets off.

My 1999 Forester was the car I held onto the longest.  It was 10 years old when I got rid of it.  It was a used purchase in which I did get the Krown the first year I bought it but didn't keep it up.   It had no rust and still looked great when it was traded in.

I can't honestly argue that Krown or any other application will for sure save your car.
I do think however that keeping it clean is most likely the most important aspect of maintenance and ensuring it stays looking new.   

I can say that I feel anything the dealer offers is a cash grab.   The Forester was traded in for a new RAV 4 which I originally intented to keep.   I opted for the dealer spray which cost $500 and came with a "lifetime warranty"    The warranty is what sold me.  However, what was NOT explained at the time is that the vehicle did require annual inspections.  While it was no charge, it was still a PITA.   The first two years I got a notice in the mail and what the dealer also didn't warn you about, if you miss one inspection the "lifetime warranty" becomes null and void.   In the third year I got no notice and forgot.   In the forth year I realized that the dealership was now using another company.  When I asked why and what happened to the other company, I was simply told that "they're not around anymore."

Did the application help?  I didn't have the car long enough to know.  But with the idea I was buying a product for a "lifetime waranty" I know that became null and void pretty quickly.   
I'm not sure how often a dealership changes the companies they work with, but I'm thinking at least Krown has been around for a very long time.

:fiver: Agree 100% I have never had a car rust with rusting issues and with a proper cleaning and DIY preventative measures there is no need for aftermarket rust protection especially with modern cars. I would never allow a guy making $12/hr drill holes into a car that was protected from the factory. If you are concerned with exposed brake lines, wiring, or suspension components then buy a can of spray-on form Canadian Tire and do it yourself.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2013, 04:18:02 pm »

As my next car is going to be a keeper I'm very much on the fence of doing something.
When I plan to keep my cars i'm very anal about making sure I keep it clean, always spray and wash out the wheel wells.  In the winter and after driving on dirty roads (even in the summer) I get on my hands and knees and spray under the car to make sure all the crap gets off.

My 1999 Forester was the car I held onto the longest.  It was 10 years old when I got rid of it.  It was a used purchase in which I did get the Krown the first year I bought it but didn't keep it up.   It had no rust and still looked great when it was traded in.

I can't honestly argue that Krown or any other application will for sure save your car.
I do think however that keeping it clean is most likely the most important aspect of maintenance and ensuring it stays looking new.   

I can say that I feel anything the dealer offers is a cash grab.   The Forester was traded in for a new RAV 4 which I originally intented to keep.   I opted for the dealer spray which cost $500 and came with a "lifetime warranty"    The warranty is what sold me.  However, what was NOT explained at the time is that the vehicle did require annual inspections.  While it was no charge, it was still a PITA.   The first two years I got a notice in the mail and what the dealer also didn't warn you about, if you miss one inspection the "lifetime warranty" becomes null and void.   In the third year I got no notice and forgot.   In the forth year I realized that the dealership was now using another company.  When I asked why and what happened to the other company, I was simply told that "they're not around anymore."

Did the application help?  I didn't have the car long enough to know.  But with the idea I was buying a product for a "lifetime waranty" I know that became null and void pretty quickly.   
I'm not sure how often a dealership changes the companies they work with, but I'm thinking at least Krown has been around for a very long time.

:fiver: Agree 100% I have never had a car rust with rusting issues and with a proper cleaning and DIY preventative measures there is no need for aftermarket rust protection especially with modern cars. I would never allow a guy making $12/hr drill holes into a car that was protected from the factory. If you are concerned with exposed brake lines, wiring, or suspension components then buy a can of spray-on form Canadian Tire and do it yourself.

That was essentially my conclusion with the VW, the build quality and warranty is good enough to not make me worry about it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2013, 04:20:10 pm »

That was essentially my conclusion with the VW, the build quality and warranty is good enough to not make me worry about it.

The only thing I would do have a full frontal 3M mask put on it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2013, 05:24:18 pm »
Thats the thing I dont like about this whole Krown thing....the drilling of holes. Ive never had a vehicle, trucks I take on gravel roads they dont count, that has had a serious corrosion problem. All I do is wash them once a week, at least, to get the salt and crap off of them. Drilling into a panel is generally a bad idea, have you ever seen how much damage dealer installed crap like mudguards, spoilers and running boards do when they use self tapping screws for installation? Ive seen trucks literally fall apart from a few screw holes for mudguards, so drilling...no thank you.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #284 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55:49 pm »
Thats the thing I dont like about this whole Krown thing....the drilling of holes. Ive never had a vehicle, trucks I take on gravel roads they dont count, that has had a serious corrosion problem. All I do is wash them once a week, at least, to get the salt and crap off of them. Drilling into a panel is generally a bad idea, have you ever seen how much damage dealer installed crap like mudguards, spoilers and running boards do when they use self tapping screws for installation? Ive seen trucks literally fall apart from a few screw holes for mudguards, so drilling...no thank you.

That is exactly what happened to my old focus wagon.  I had the dealer throw in mud flaps when i first bought the car.  They didnt have the mounting holes like the new ones do, so they had to drill them.  The rust started there within a few years.

Offline StoneRaizer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
  • Versa Hatchling
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Nissan Versa S Hatchback
« Reply #285 on: October 17, 2013, 09:56:18 am »
Called the local Krown yesterday (October 16) and the earliest appointment I could get is October 25th. I don't know if the car has been rust proofed previously so I'm getting it done just in case.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2013, 06:30:16 pm »
I think the krown fluid works..  But drilling is a bad bad idea..

I've seen rust form around holes and I've experienced missing plugs.  In one case, the plug had fallen out and in another case the applicator forgot to install them.   Not good.   For the rust around the hole, I think the plug actually trapped dirt and salt, etc.  The plug looked like it was not laying perfectly flat so it was unable to seal properly.

It comes down to applicator skill, which at $12/ h like someone said , is a roll of the dice..

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2013, 08:42:30 pm »
In one case, the plug had fallen out.

Most likely because the hole got bigger due to them drilling out the plastic plugs during each annual visit. They don't take the time to pull them out by hand. Best that the owner does that ahead of time to avoid the situation.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2013, 09:31:45 pm »
I'm still skeptical.  My truck was 8 years old and no rust issues.  By the time rust starts the car will be over ten years old and be worthless anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:28 pm »
In one case, the plug had fallen out.

Most likely because the hole got bigger due to them drilling out the plastic plugs during each annual visit. They don't take the time to pull them out by hand. Best that the owner does that ahead of time to avoid the situation.

I don't recall that step in the brochure!

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2013, 10:28:54 pm »
I'm still skeptical.  My truck was 8 years old and no rust issues.  By the time rust starts the car will be over ten years old and be worthless anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well, it's worth something, at least to you, if it can still be driven and not falling apart due to rust!

No magic bullet.. On my new car I'm putting my faith in modern galvanization and car washes!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #291 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:23 pm »
My 1997 Ranger has never had any "proofing" other than the crap they put on it back then
....looks like  RUSTAPALOOZA underneath...had to replace 2 rear spring shackles and a coupla brake lines,and fuel tank holding bracket(made from Non Rustoleum ex Chinese cars bits IMHO!! :rofl: )
 it may not be pretty but it gets me out the City...anyone need IRON pills inna coupla years... ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #292 on: December 02, 2013, 07:24:55 pm »
I am a huge supporter of Krown. However, it really comes down to what you want out of the car....

If it's a new(ish) car that you're going to run for a few years and then dump or trade in, then yeah, forget about it because even without any rustproofing rust won't be visible anywhere when you get rid of the car anyway.

If it's a decent condition older car that you want to drive for a few years and dump, then I'd give it some consideration. The car is likely getting to the age where rust could become an issue, so for $100, why not get it sprayed....Peace of mind knowing that components like the brake/fuel lines and such are protected. Plus, when you go to resell a non-rusty car will return much better resale.

If your someone like me who's relationship with some cars spans decades, not years, then it's a no-brainer. Once a car has started to rust, it'll never be the same, so I do everything I can to keep it at bay....When I dailied my Sonoma I used to get 2 sprays annually (in the fall, and in the spring), plus I'd by the cans at CT and do touch-ups to the spray every couple weeks....Obsessive yes! Now I still get my dailies sprayed annually, and do monthly touch-ups with the cans....Currently daily is the 96 Firebird, it's seen a LOT of salt and I'd challenge anyone to try to find a spot of rust anywhere on it...Except for some surface rust on the two rear springs; I had installed them before last winter, after I had it Krown sprayed, so they went unprotected for a full year.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #293 on: December 02, 2013, 09:18:53 pm »
I am a huge supporter of Krown. However, it really comes down to what you want out of the car....

If it's a new(ish) car that you're going to run for a few years and then dump or trade in, then yeah, forget about it because even without any rustproofing rust won't be visible anywhere when you get rid of the car anyway.

If it's a decent condition older car that you want to drive for a few years and dump, then I'd give it some consideration. The car is likely getting to the age where rust could become an issue, so for $100, why not get it sprayed....Peace of mind knowing that components like the brake/fuel lines and such are protected. Plus, when you go to resell a non-rusty car will return much better resale.

If your someone like me who's relationship with some cars spans decades, not years, then it's a no-brainer. Once a car has started to rust, it'll never be the same, so I do everything I can to keep it at bay....When I dailied my Sonoma I used to get 2 sprays annually (in the fall, and in the spring), plus I'd by the cans at CT and do touch-ups to the spray every couple weeks....Obsessive yes! Now I still get my dailies sprayed annually, and do monthly touch-ups with the cans....Currently daily is the 96 Firebird, it's seen a LOT of salt and I'd challenge anyone to try to find a spot of rust anywhere on it...Except for some surface rust on the two rear springs; I had installed them before last winter, after I had it Krown sprayed, so they went unprotected for a full year.

:fiver:

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2014, 02:28:49 am »
I've had my car done twice at my local Krown franchise and both times, the most rust vulnerable spot on a Honda product - the rear wheel arch lips - were not sprayed.  Last year I sprayed the lips myself with a Krown spray bomb.  Again, this year, I ran my fingertips around the lips, the same day the car was done and came up with nothing but dust.

So back I went and explained that two years in a row the same spot was missed.  I wonder how many other cars suffered the same fate?  I wonder how many others checked what I checked?  They took the car in and sprayed the arches.  There was no "sorry, we effed up".  There was no voucher for a goodwill freebie.

They won't get me again.  Next year I'll buy rust protection spray from Canadian Tire, get my car up on the ramps and do it myself.

Krown might be a respected product and recommended by the APA but it's only as good as the person doing the job and if they regularly miss a massive dirt-trap like rear wheel arch lips, what else do they miss?
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2014, 08:03:16 am »
I've had my car done twice at my local Krown franchise and both times, the most rust vulnerable spot on a Honda product - the rear wheel arch lips - were not sprayed.  Last year I sprayed the lips myself with a Krown spray bomb.  Again, this year, I ran my fingertips around the lips, the same day the car was done and came up with nothing but dust.

So back I went and explained that two years in a row the same spot was missed.  I wonder how many other cars suffered the same fate?  I wonder how many others checked what I checked?  They took the car in and sprayed the arches.  There was no "sorry, we effed up".  There was no voucher for a goodwill freebie.

They won't get me again.  Next year I'll buy rust protection spray from Canadian Tire, get my car up on the ramps and do it myself.

Krown might be a respected product and recommended by the APA but it's only as good as the person doing the job and if they regularly miss a massive dirt-trap like rear wheel arch lips, what else do they miss?

That the big issue I have with these outfits, trusting your car to a person that makes $12/hr and does not give a fack. I would pay double or more if I knew it was done professionally.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2014, 08:37:05 am »
That's why I drive 45 minutes to the Bolton location every time I need it done rather than the location 10 minutes from me...The owner in Bolton is a real stickler for perfection, and even lets me come into the back and watch if I please.

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2014, 08:56:45 am »
That the big issue I have with these outfits, trusting your car to a person that makes $12/hr and does not give a fack. I would pay double or more if I knew it was done professionally.

I'd rather pay the dude the $100 if he'd let me do it myself.  I'd give his man $5 to bugger off for an hour to Tim's too.  Then I know at least it's done to my standards - not to those of a person who, as you say, does not give a fack.

And I'm sure they realize that almost no customers are going to check under their cars.  And those that do, and become a real pain-in-the-arse because of what they find, they'd rather be without anyway.  I'm sure they hope they never come back.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:16 am »
Is Krown et al REALLY a necessity these days........................if y'all flip yer machinas under 5 years
 why bother.....and if U keep it beyong 5 years the things are darn near worthless anyways..... ??? :light: :banghead: :think: :shuffle: :bang: :thumbdown:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2014, 09:03:08 pm »
and if U keep it beyong 5 years the things are darn near worthless anyways

In a market sense perhaps.  To a long term owner wheel arch and trunk lid rust makes the car worthless.

Priced brake linings and high pressure fuel lines on current vehicles?  You don't wanna go there.  Fasteners actually come apart.

You can buy a gallon of Krown for 60 bucks and DIY.  It's not for the short sighted, cheap and lazy.  :)