Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493511 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2011, 02:23:11 pm »
Agreed, Krown will wash off surfaces.

I figure having KROWN applied every other year might just be good enough.

Ya, the main focus is inside the body panels (rockers, door bottoms, trunk lids, strut towers, etc.) which are the traditional rust spots on Ontario cars.  The "floor" panels aren't so much of an issue.

One can always take a can of Krown and run it up and down the fuel and brake lines when it's the non treatment year.  After all that is the main purpose of spaying the open underside.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2011, 03:13:41 pm »
Ask for the Royale Supreme package.

:rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2011, 05:41:49 pm »
 the SUPREME with Cheese...............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2011, 11:36:29 pm »
MINT tailgate which usually is the first to go on Subs.

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2011, 12:02:45 am »
Tailgate is attached to the 95 Sub I just drove back from Phoenix, and I intend for it to stay that way.

In the interest of full disclosure, Fluid Film sent me a complimentary case of spray cans last week, in thanks for promoting their product. I rant about it because I'm happy with it.

If I find a deficiency, I'll let it be known. The only downside up till now is that they're back ordered, and I used up my 5 gallon pail on my 2 Subs. I also noticed tonite that the FF evaporated from the thermostat outlet after 500 miles/800km's. I'll try applying Amsoil Metal Protector, which I found drys to a waxy film. FF also sells a thicker product intended for the Marine Industry. I'll see if I can get some for the hi-wash areas.

A few more of the Subs I've driven and shipped back from the desert. The white one and the black one have been sold. I have two of the the Bronze/Biege ones. All 4x4 diesels except the black one, gas 4x4
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:55:00 am by Brigitte »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2011, 12:44:42 am »
I had a 1983 3/4  4x4  high out out 6.2  Silverado.  Front buckets, rear bench for the dog, electric window in tail gate, factory black glass, 410 limited slip.

The monster problem were the glow plugs.  Eventually, I learned from the near by Defense Base that all their GM diesels were converted to 11 volt.  Champion glow plugs made in Belgium.  Essentially you hook them up to a relay and operate them manually from inside the cab.  No matter how long you'd leave them on they would never burn up or split inside the head.  :o   Those with a lower hose heater along with the factory block heater and it was all smiles.

The only other thing was that the injector pump would only last about 120K km and a rebuilt installed was 1K.

Enjoyed it at the time.  Diesel being 30 cents a litre helped.  It held 120 litres.

Very few of you Sub and Blazer guys left.   :) 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2011, 01:03:47 am »
That Amsoil product reminds of the Dupont Multi Use.  I use it for everything.  Good stuff!!  You can also buy it in gallon pails and brush it on.

http://www2.dupont.com/Products_and_Services/en_AU/assets/downloads/dcse%20msds/teflon%20lubes/Data%20Sheet%20Multi-Use%20-%20DuPont%20%28Aust%29.pdf

We also use these at work on multi-million dollar tooling.  5 year rust protection indoors, `1 year outdoors. 

http://slideproducts.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?skucat=402

Their line of protectants and lubricants is pretty popular in my industry.  http://www.slideproducts.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?cat=rust+preventives
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:06:54 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 23, 2011, 01:08:43 pm »
I got my 2006 GMC pickup Krowned yesterday for the first time.
The application wasn't very thorough and I could see all kinds of places under the truck which were dry, so I went back and they sprayed some more. I checked again and there are still some places they missed, like the inside of the rear bumper and the rear bumper mounting brackets. I have not crawled under the truck to see if they coated the top of the gas tank and the brake lines etc. I will buy a can of T40 and spray the places they missed.

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #248 on: December 24, 2011, 01:13:37 am »
I've told a few car friends that it takes me 10 or so hours to spray a Suburban COMPLETEY. I know they think I fell asleep underneath, but that's cause I don't miss ANY spots! If I was to charge folks to do their vehicle, it sure wouldn't be $150. Just the Fluid Film costs $50 a gallon, and I use at least a 1 1/2 gallons doing it the way I think it should be done

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 02, 2012, 09:28:20 am »
I looked into buying some Krown T40 from my local Krown dealer and they wanted $300 for a 20 litre pail(and I supply the pail). Seems very expensive. Has anybody been able to buy Krown cheaper?

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #250 on: January 02, 2012, 09:51:02 am »
I tried the Krown, it's too thin to do much. I've used Fluid Film, it's $230 US for a 20 litre pail, but in the States. The Canadian importer gets $500, quite the premium! The $230 US gets you the "kit", which includes an air powered sprayer and a spray bomb with small 4-way dispersing nozzle. FF is MUCH thicker, and is not Petroleum based, so it has no solvents to affect rubber mouldings.

I've applied FF to 2 of my Suburbans, and it doesn't drip at all, has minimal odor, and creeps very well. The only downside is it washes off inside wheel wells. I'm waiting for a pail of GEL to brush coat the inner fenders for winter road-splash protection. Kellsport sells the FF in the US, but I don't think they'll ship to Canada. You may need to get a PO box stateside to save $300!

I will also try a WAX based products for the inner fenders I saw elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:55:38 am by Brigitte »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #251 on: January 02, 2012, 12:54:10 pm »
I tried the Krown, it's too thin to do much. I've used Fluid Film,.......

You've already posted at least 4 times in this thread trying to sell Fluid Film, complete with the same photos. 
You've officially become a spammer.
Mr Pickypants

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2012, 02:23:00 pm »

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2012, 10:55:01 pm »
So take my post down  :popo:, but the other products are pretty bad, and I have videos of what I used, and I feel good about the FF, but you're rite, I'm overdoing it, sorry. I DID have the Krown applied, and I have a video of that too, so I speak from experience. I also have swollen mouldings , from another product to look at everyday. I hope the FF doesn't do that to my newer job
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:57:00 pm by SUBURBAN! »

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »
I just went back and looked, I didn't post the same pix, they're all different. maybe in a different thread? Or did I miss something?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #255 on: January 04, 2012, 11:35:57 am »
I just went back and looked, I didn't post the same pix, they're all different. maybe in a different thread? Or did I miss something?

yeah a wee bit on the front AXLE and the rear brake lines........... ::) :P

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2012, 12:09:36 am »
 ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2012, 06:59:41 am »
So take my post down  :popo:, but the other products are pretty bad, and I have videos of what I used, and I feel good about the FF, but you're rite, I'm overdoing it, sorry.

Yes, you are.  I have modded your posts.  Please stop attaching pictures and blatantly promoting the product in a repetitive manner.  Once was more than enough, on the basis of offering advice.

Thank you. 

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2012, 07:53:14 am »
Agreed, as mentioned.

Can I ask why you took down my (1st) Quebec (car) inspection post? I also emailed you asking why and didn't get a response.

On a lighter note, pix of me from the early 80's, and me and my Dad's '65 Parisienne in late 60's.

Interestingly, all the junk Corvairs and Olds Vista Cruiser are still around, rotting in the woods. The Rambler and '67 2+2 were sold, and presumably restored.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:58:01 am by SUBURBAN! »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #259 on: January 05, 2012, 08:02:33 am »
Because, as you've demonstrated yet again, you keep attaching pictures that are irrelevant to the post and the topic.  That's what spammers do, especially when they first register on a forum.  That's why I deleted your post.  Are you new to forum etiquette?