Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493531 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2011, 04:33:02 pm »
"T40" is that Ottawa tax approved.....like a D.R.I P.... say.... :).

do you have Krown in a can fer $8.99 somewhere!!????...and a little raggamuffin from Dickens to apply it for gruel and a good whipping.... >:D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:35:18 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

kreyszig

« Reply #221 on: November 15, 2011, 10:53:18 pm »
Hi everyone! (new user)

so I have this Acura RSX (2006, 50 000 km, never used in winter before) that I bought a month ago and I am trying to find the best rust proofing solution for it. I am looking for an oil-based treatment like Krown or Metropolitain Advantage. I have a few questions:

1- From what I read Hondas (and Acuras) have rubbers that are very sensitive to oil. Is there a recommended Krown dealer in Ottawa, that will carefully spray all rubbers and plastic parts (e.g. door and hood seals, motor mounts, suspension bushings, etc) with silicon before the treatment?
2- Same questions as 1- and but for the Metropolitain in Ottawa?
3- On Krown's website it says their product is non-reactive and does not contain any solvent. So this does not imply that it is safe for rubbers?
4- Regarding 3-, does it apply for both T32 and T40?
5- Will the rubber parts will be fine on the long term if that silicon spray is used?
6- I have been told that the Metropolitain Advantage product is based 80% on mineral oil and 20% on vegetal oil. Is it similar for Krown?
7- Is Krown normally good at only spraying the parts that need treatment and avoiding the ones that don't? (such that they will avoid the engine, joint rubber boots, disk brakes, etc)
8- What type of silicon spray are they using exactly?
9- How hard is it to clean the silicon spray once it is no longer needed?

Please answer my questions while keeping in mind that Honda/Acura rubbers might be peculiar and react different to oil than parts from other car manufacturers. The door seals of my father's 12 years old Ford Explorer seam to be completely immune to rust proofing treatment while I had to change all the seals on my previous car (Nissan Sentra) after only 3 years...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:58:48 pm by kreyszig »

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2011, 12:02:39 pm »
From what I read Hondas (and Acuras) have rubbers that are very sensitive to oil.

Where did you read that? On a forum?

My Honda rubber seals...some have gone slightly wavy, but then I apply Krown myself and really coat the thing.

But at 12 full years old, its totally rust free. I can live with wavy looking seals. It beats having to buy a new car every 15 years.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

GapBoyPCS

« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:32 pm »
I had the new car done the other day. I always hate looking at the plugs (which means holes were drilled  :'(), and the initial few days of smell and oozing. I get home and see my other car with very few rust spots (it was late to the Krown party, but not bad after 513K on it). Thanks to the mild temps, I'm hoping the stuff oozes into all the crevices -- I have a feeling this winter is going to be a bad one. Too bad the weather isn't warmer because I'd make it up to both with another deep detailing.

As for the rubber seals, only after coming on here did I first hear of any issues.

kreyszig

« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2011, 07:39:35 pm »
From what I read Hondas (and Acuras) have rubbers that are very sensitive to oil.

Where did you read that? On a forum?

My Honda rubber seals...some have gone slightly wavy, but then I apply Krown myself and really coat the thing.

But at 12 full years old, its totally rust free. I can live with wavy looking seals. It beats having to buy a new car every 15 years.

I read it on different forums, but this was also confirmed to me by Metropolitain. Before I told them the car I have, I asked them if they have seen these problems with particular car manufacturers. They told me mainly Honda, but also Nissan and some Chevrolet. They told me Ford cars don't have this problem. On my former car (Nissan Spec V '04), I had to change both the door and hood seals after 3 years because they were so stretched out that they were hanging halfway out when the doors were closed... That car was treated 2 years at Rust Check and 1 year at Metropolitain. On forums the comments I saw were regarding Krown, so I guess that most common rustproofing products are problematic...

So this is why I am looking for a garage that is particularly good at avoiding to spray areas that don't need the treatment. It looks like some places are quite good regarding this. For example, see post #77 here:
forums.redflagdeals.com/rust-proofing-ziebart-krown-377035/6/

These guys wrapped the wiper blades in newspaper and apply a liberal coating of silicon on rubbers. So I am looking for a similar place in my area if possible. Otherwise I will prepare the car myself as much as I can and look for the place that seems to provide the best service. I have not tried to call Krown in Ottawa yet, but I had a good first impression when I called Metropolitain. At least the guy that answered the phone seemed to care about his job and did not try to give me BS. So if anyone here could give me some feedback about Ottawa rustproofing places it would be great!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:41:34 pm by kreyszig »

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »
I had a good first impression when I called Metropolitain.

I can't comment on their product since we did not test it. We tested Krown in our labs back in the 90s along with a few others and it came out on top. I've been using it since 1990, so I wasn't surprised.

There is very little need to drill holes if you are willing to do some homework and take the time to find all the rubber plugs in the body panels that can be removed instead. I have no holes drilled in my car, but I do remove my door trim panels.

kreyszig

« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2011, 12:22:43 am »
I had a good first impression when I called Metropolitain.

I can't comment on their product since we did not test it. We tested Krown in our labs back in the 90s along with a few others and it came out on top. I've been using it since 1990, so I wasn't surprised.

There is very little need to drill holes if you are willing to do some homework and take the time to find all the rubber plugs in the body panels that can be removed instead. I have no holes drilled in my car, but I do remove my door trim panels.

The original Metropolitain product was developed by the CRIQ (Quebec Industrial Research Centre) and their original product is very fluid similarly to Krown's. It uses a base of mineral oil and it has a bunch of rustproofing additives added to it. They modified their product this year though (the new one is called "Advantage"). It now uses 20% of vegetal oil, which allows the product to drip less, so it is more environment friendly. They claim the new product is as effective as the old one. I am not sure what to think of the new product (it might not get into cracks as well as the original one, but stays longer at the surface?). I guess that Krown will also be forced to switch to a less drippy product as well, unless this is only a provincial regulation...

About the holes, I normally remove the door sills, but maybe I should start removing the door and hatch trim panels as well. It would have the added advantage of giving a clear indication of whether or not it gets properly sprayed. The person working on the car might also appreciate to see what he his doing...

Thanks!

Slagood

« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2011, 02:07:45 pm »
My mechanic is recommending a two stage application for a brand new vehicle: a thicker oil skin (as he called it) followed by a light weight liquid product, both manufactured by Rust Check:

rustcheck dot com/rustcheck.asp

The ‘oil skin’ is only applied to the vehicle one time when new, then the light weight oil is applied annually ever year to keep up protection.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2011, 10:20:42 pm »
YA

:spam:

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2011, 09:20:29 am »
The wife took her rust bucket 2004 Grand Caravan to be Krowned Wednesday.  $125 all in.  Slowing the inevitable decay.  :rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »
The wife took her rust bucket 2004 Grand Caravan to be Krowned Wednesday.  $125 all in.  Slowing the inevitable decay.  :rofl2:

i'd say she's past her due date.....both of 'em.... :stick: ;) ;D >:D.....did they Krown her queen of the MiniWans............

tbarth

« Reply #231 on: December 19, 2011, 11:55:56 pm »
My girlfriend just bought a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback and wants me to look into rustproofing.  She's seen the explanatory videos about the Krown treatment and seems fine with all of that. 

However, I'm still the one making the final call which means that if it goes FUBAR, it's my butt in a sling with her.

So I would like feedback on having this car done, how messy it's going to be afterwards and for how long (smoke, dripping, overspray, etc), and if anyone can recommend a specific location in the GTA.  (We're in North York)

It all seems ok with me, but she's going to be unhappy if it turns out to be a big mess!

We want to have it done this Wednesday, so feedback is badly needed!

Also, what options are there?  T40?  Heavy oil and then light oil?  Just things I've seen while skimming this thread.

Thanks, all.

-Travis
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:57:43 pm by tbarth »

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 20, 2011, 07:43:57 am »
My girlfriend just bought a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback and wants me to look into rustproofing.  She's seen the explanatory videos about the Krown treatment and seems fine with all of that. 

However, I'm still the one making the final call which means that if it goes FUBAR, it's my butt in a sling with her.

So I would like feedback on having this car done, how messy it's going to be afterwards and for how long (smoke, dripping, overspray, etc), and if anyone can recommend a specific location in the GTA.  (We're in North York)

It all seems ok with me, but she's going to be unhappy if it turns out to be a big mess!

We want to have it done this Wednesday, so feedback is badly needed!

Also, what options are there?  T40?  Heavy oil and then light oil?  Just things I've seen while skimming this thread.

Thanks, all.

-Travis

Hmm, works great, big mess (especially if your parking space is on concrete). So, as your question is more about "a man and a woman" and the quandary you are in, I really would suggest also writing here  :rofl: :rofl2:

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/dearabby_form.html

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2011, 09:47:29 am »
I just read ALL 12 pages. Luckily I'm on vacation... So I can post my own babble now!!!

If I may wade into the discussion...

I've had a few cars and lite trucks sprayed with a variety of products over the years. Some already were rusty, and now I bring my vehicles in from the west coast, so rust is ZERO, like they are new, even tho they're 15-20 years old.

I had my '80 Caprice wagon sprayed by Metropolitan in Montreal, prolly 10-12 years ago , and I paid the tech(?) an extra $20, and my wagon was on the lift for 3 times as long as the other cars! It dripped for weeks, but looking WAY back, I think they were spraying the cheapest product available, and it didn't stick or resist wash off from road spray.

In 2007 I brought back a 1984 Chevy Suburban from San Francisco. I had minimal rust on a few parts of the frame and body. I made a video of our arrival at the sellers house. So the rust can be clearly seen in the videos. Obviously I didn't want the road salt and damp air to turn my long dreamed about rig into a pile of orange dust, so I considered Metrolpolitain... I knew it was a poor choice, but...

Luckily, I stumbled across a fellow on the south Shore of Montreal that sprayed a thick, but creepy grease. I dropped off the Truck, and when I returned that evening, it was obvious he had missed a variety of easily seen areas, mostly in the back/underbody area.

I brought these to his attention, and he lit up another cigarette, and used a touch up brush to slop on a bit of product/grease on the receiver trailer hitch, etc... Hardly what I had in mind. I had watched him start the job earlier in the day, and he used a Graco airless sprayer, and a 55 gallon drum of some rust-preventative goop. He had drilled a variety of holes in the rockers as I watched.

Anyways, long story shorter,  :P I watched the rear axle, driveshaft, leaf springs turn orange with rust over the winter. I returned to him next fall, and he didn't even spray those rusty areas, and told me thye were thick steel, so didn't need treatment! What a JERK! I also had him do my just imported '93 Hyundai Excel. He did a much more complete job on this car, but didn't spray the engine and tranny, as I asked him to do on the Sub. He said it would smoke. I said SPRAY IT!!!.

So now the Sub engine is coated, and nothing is rusty, but the Hyundai has corrosion on the aluminum tranny and variety of coolant pipes, alternator etc...

But this is just the beginning of my story!

I imported a 1984 K5 Blazer from Oregon. This had some rust on the rockers, but otherwise, black paint on the frame. I decided to try another rust-proofer. I looked up Krown, and brought the Blazer into the Verdun location. This time I planned to hang around with the tech, and since it was after 6, I was the only one around, and the tech allowed my to point out areas I thought he should spray.

He just kept on spraying as long as I pointed... Top of fuel tank, inside rockers, (they were rusted thru on top, from rain getting caught under rubber moldings). inside roof pillars after drilling holes, everything under the hood, and on and on!!!

Bottom line w Krown? It's totally useless on wash areas. A few days later, the front and rear inner fenders were DRY!!! I called Krown in TO, and they said  they had success in zillions of cars, years of successs, etc... That it was invisible protection. I'm not blind, this was not invisible, it was gone >ZERO< evaporated!!!

So..... I washed the truck after EVERY salt storm, and eventually started spraying White Lithium Grease on the springs, wheel wells and wherever else the Krown disappeared from! What a disappointment!

So summer 2011 is here, and I'm poking around looking for a way to this MYSELF! I was a licensed mechanic, so very familiar with all things cars and trucks. I bought an airless paint sprayer at the big box store, heavily discounted, and all I needed was a solvent free product to spray. I called a place in Blainville Quebec, and the clerk faxed me some info, but even tho he claimed solvent free, I never made it up to their showroom.

I then received a recommendation to use a product (shameless plug coming) called Fluid Film. I bought a rattle can at the local John Deere dealer, and liked the consistency. I read the blurb on their web site, and ordered a 5 gallon/20 litre pail, which for $200 US included an aluminum spray applicator, (compressor requ'd), 1 spray bomb, and two 1 litre bottles for the stuff in the pail.

By this time, it's October, and I'm on my way home with a 1995 Suburban I bought in Phoenix. This would be my wife's winter daily driver, so rust protection was mandatory!

Moving back to my daily driver a bit... I put the '84 Suburban (from SF) up on tall jack stands, and sandblasted all the rust off the driveshaft, diffy, rear frame, etc... Alot of work, but I didn't believe ANY rust preventive would protect already rusty areas. I used 8 bags (22k's each) of fine grit Black Diamond grit, and painted the now bare areas with dark grey primer and satin black paint from spray cans. The rust was really surface rust, as various imprinted numbers (on the diffy, backing plates) appeared after blasting.

Now it was time for the Fluid Film! I sprayed about 4 litres of the stuff all over the now dried black paint, and it took me about 5 hours to get into all the areas. And this was already a greased up truck, except as mentioned earlier, in the rear!

Why so long??? I'm THOROUGH!!! I removed the taillights, grille, and sprayed till my hearts delight! I then moved onto the Hyundai. I lightly wire brushed the rear fender wells, to remove the sand/mud theat the grease rust proofing attracted, and was pleasntly impressed to find shiny black paint. Unfortunately, the smoker fellows product has caused the door mouldings to swell. The solvent at work... Shame! I then re-sprayed in Fluid Film, including the brake drums, inside the alloy wheels, and all over the now slightly corroding transmission and engine. Remember, when I brought this car from Phoenix, it looked BRAND NEW under the hood. ZERO corrosion, gold chromate plating EVERYWHERE!!! Just like it was NEW!!!

I then moved onto the Arizona Sub. It actually had some very lite surface rust on the frame. It must've been driven in a bit of salt somewhere in it life. Oh well, I bought the only rusty truck in Arizona!

So I spent at least 10 hours over a few days spraying this truck. Removed tailights, parking lamps, sprayed into rocker weep/drain holes, etc etc... And I didn't even do inside the doors! For those who think it takes an hour or two, I invite them to watch my videos. Spraying a large truck THOROUGHLY and completely is VERY time consuming, especially when one doesn't have a hoist. (It's on my bucket list).

Bottom line, so far, I'm VERY impressed with the Fluid Film. It has a desirable viscosity, and seems to be resistant to wash off in the wheel wells. It barely drips, I'd call it less than 1%, and I sprayed it heavy! Contains no solvents, so no rubber swelling.

Concerning wash off, I sprayed the leading edge of the leaf springs on my '84 Suburban with "Fluid Film" on one, and "Amsoil Metal Protector" on the other. After a few hundred miles in fall/warm weather, the FF was still clinging quite visibly to the spring. The Amsoil MP had dried to a waxy residue. I would say they're both quality/effective products, though I didn't inquire to buying Amsoil in bulk. I don't know if it has solvent. maybe it would be better on areas that one may brush against, and get the FF on their clothes.

Fluid Film Is sold in the USA by Kellsport.com for $220 US for the "kit", but for more than double in Canada. Maybe a trip to a US PO Box would save a few bucks??? I won't post any links to products, even tho I really liked the Fluid Film. It's easy enuff to look up using any search engine.

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2011, 09:52:21 am »
The pix show my trip from Flagstaff Az and the Corvair Rampside I bought there, my two-tone Indian Bronze and Biege SF Sub, the rust at the bottom of the windshield, the applied Fluid Film, the rust in the inner rear fender and a small hole I bondo'd up, and the sandblasted frame on the '84

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2011, 10:07:40 am »
Spray it, don't say it.  :rofl2: :rofl:

Thanks for the rust proofing run down.  I've been using Fluid Film for years as a general lubricant and rust inhibitor.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #236 on: December 20, 2011, 01:52:44 pm »
That's some post!  :cheers:

Agreed, Krown will wash off surfaces.

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Vibe; 15 TDI Golf Wagon
« Reply #237 on: December 20, 2011, 01:57:55 pm »
Agreed, Krown will wash off surfaces.

I figure having KROWN applied every other year might just be good enough.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:07:00 pm by 21Rouge »

tbarth

« Reply #238 on: December 20, 2011, 02:01:03 pm »
We have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at the Thornhill location in GTA. 

Brand new car: Any specific options we should ask for?

-t

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2011, 02:06:54 pm »
Suburban, meet Keh-vin.  Keh-vin, meet Suburban. 

Earplugs, anyone?   :rofl2: