Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493540 times)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2011, 01:45:25 pm »
 :rofl:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2011, 08:29:56 pm »
I had both cars Krowned last year, should I do it again this year or just every 2?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »
I had both cars Krowned last year, should I do it again this year or just every 2?

Bob, I would Krown it at least a few times in a row till you build up a layer or Krown and dirt and then every other year as long as the layer is still damp or better yet, wet after a year.

Don't forget to ask for the T-40.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

richink

« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2011, 12:24:51 pm »
I'm not sure that I put stock in these rustproofing outfits anymore. Once upon a time it was essential, but now cars are different. My older cars used to melt after a few years if I didn't do it religiously.

My '95 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon barely had surface rust at the edge of the tailgate when traded in at 9 years of age and 398,000 km's. It's replacement 2004 S60 T5 is now close to 8 years of age and 235,000 km, ZERO rust anywhere.

Lady leadfoot's SiR is just starting at the nuts and bolts again with the same age and mileage. Nothing visible on or under. Her previous 2000 Accent went back at lease end in 2004 as spotless as the day we picked it up.

I think car manufacturers have pretty much licked this rust thing even without any extra protection like Krown. 8-10 years in salty Ontario is quite an acheivement without having to bust out the bondo!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2011, 12:38:28 pm »

8-10 years in salty Ontario is quite an acheivement

So why risk it?  'Cos once it starts it's very hard to get rid of.

richink

« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2011, 12:53:25 pm »

8-10 years in salty Ontario is quite an acheivement

So why risk it?  'Cos once it starts it's very hard to get rid of.

After 8 years in the same saddles we are thinking it's time to get new ones, at their age and mileage they are worthless to begin with regardless of their lack of rot. Question of economics too. I figure Krown is about $150 a shot? Times 8? Plus 2 vehicles? I like my $2400 so far in my pocket.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2011, 07:02:32 pm »
8-10 years in salty Ontario is quite an achievement without having to bust out the bondo!

Not really. They would remain rust-free 20 years ago, unless the rust formed in a problem area.

My present car just passed the 12 year rust-free mark and I expect to get another 6 years out of it...at least.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2011, 07:05:45 pm »
8-10 years in salty Ontario is quite an achievement without having to bust out the bondo!

Not really. They would remain rust-free 20 years ago, unless the rust formed in a problem area.

My present car just passed the 12 year rust-free mark and I expect to get another 6 years out of it...at least.

Ontario car?  Really?  They salt the roads in my area even before there is snow on the ground....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2011, 07:39:28 pm »
They salt the roads in my area even before there is snow on the ground....

They usually do that in areas with drivers not used to winter conditions.

Lots of salt here.  As for TO or SW Ontario...I don't call that winter.

Most owners don't hang on to a car that long, so they don't care about rust.

jamon1971

« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2011, 08:55:56 pm »
Krown Rustproof...

Big letdown. Poor customer service and their application damaged my car. Not sure if it was the product or the idiot that applied it. Plus the drip last a lot longer that the 1 or 2 days they say it does. I  often have to lay cardboard in my garage for 3 to 4 weeks. So, I am done with it. 

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »
I would say try another location.  If its applied correctly it shouldn't drip enough to justify covering your driveway with cardboard.

Krown Rustproof...

Big letdown. Poor customer service and their application damaged my car. Not sure if it was the product or the idiot that applied it. Plus the drip last a lot longer that the 1 or 2 days they say it does. I  often have to lay cardboard in my garage for 3 to 4 weeks. So, I am done with it. 

trafsta

« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2011, 10:00:36 am »
I have a '99 Grand Am GT and live in Barrie Ontario. It has been kept in a non-heated garage 90% of its life and it is starting to rust on the body near the gas tank and above the wheel wells. The underside of the car, unfortunately, is insanely rusted. I have replaced the fuel lines due to this, and I'm sure there will be more that needs to be replaced in the coming years. I have owned the car since '99 and never done any rust proofing other than I think the dealer did it prior to driving it off the lot. I plan on keeping it for another 4-5 years, so should I bother bringing it to Krown now or is it just too late? Not sure if it will slow the rusting on the body or if it would help much with the underside either.

We also purchased a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan in June and I would like to get it done, but I'm scared to get holes drilled in it lol... the Grand Am might be a good test subject. The new Caravan it is now staying in the garage and the 'ol Grand Am got kicked out to the driveway so it'll be out in the snow all winter long for the rest of its life...

Any advice/reassurance would be apprecaited ;)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2011, 12:57:54 pm »
so should I bother bringing it to Krown now or is it just too late?

too late

but I'm scared to get holes drilled in it lol

let it rust then  :)

trafsta

« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2011, 02:02:10 pm »
so should I bother bringing it to Krown now or is it just too late?

too late

but I'm scared to get holes drilled in it lol

let it rust then  :)

lol... I'll get the Caravan done for sure. But yeah, too late for the Grand Am eh? It won't slow the progression of the rust? It's a black "GT" model so most of the lower sides and of course both bumpers of the vehicle are not metal, its plastic or whatever, so it's not possible for it to rust (pretty sure SE models are not like this). It's just the areas above that that black plastic that are slowly starting to rust.

I have appointments booked for both with Krown... 17th for Grand Am, 19th for Caravan... I may cancel the Grand Am... just gonna wait for some more input from all of you :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:03:59 pm by trafsta »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »
the lower sides

metal underneath.

Only nice thing about that body cladding is that it hides the rust from sight.  Your GA has had it.  Save your cash and drive it till it blows up which of course could be tomorrow.  At least you have one brand new vehicle.

The only benefit of parking the vehicle in the garage is that in the morning it will be clear of snow and ice.  Unless you constructed the garage yourself, 99.9% of garages have no vapour barrier between the earth/gravel/sand and the concrete pad.  Consequently, the amount of moisture that passes up thru the floor is high.  Moreover, most garages are poorly vented.  Add all the slush that collects on the floor and you don't have a good environment.

trafsta

« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:09 pm »
Thanks for the info/advice articsteve.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2011, 09:20:19 am »
Krown Rustproof...

Big letdown. Poor customer service and their application damaged my car.

I highly doubt that.

Not sure if it was the product or the idiot that applied it. Plus the drip last a lot longer that the 1 or 2 days they say it does. I  often have to lay cardboard in my garage for 3 to 4 weeks. So, I am done with it.

Be happy that it is dripping. That means they didn't cheap out applying the product.

I guess you don't intend to keep your car more then 10 years; most people don't. If so, I wouldn't bother applying it. I do because my car is only in its 13th year (and rust free  ;D) and it has another 5 years to go at least.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2011, 10:21:27 am »
I don't know how long they say it will drip for but yes it will drip FAR longer then 2 days. More like 2-3 weeks. I do think some Krown locations have a high rate of staff turn over. If you go during a certain time of the year they are just training new staff. So your complaints might be valid.

Damaged? I doubt it. Poorly applying the product, certainly possible.

Krown Rustproof...

Big letdown. Poor customer service and their application damaged my car.

I highly doubt that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:24:06 am by RunsinLight »

trafsta

« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2011, 10:23:45 am »
Makes me wonder what the best time of year or even time of week would be. I'd assume they may not have the veterans working on a Saturday, so maybe I should cancel my Saturday appointment next week and go on Thursday with my van  ???

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2011, 11:28:39 am »
I don't know how long they say it will drip for but yes it will drip FAR longer then 2 days. More like 2-3 weeks.

In fact, I will get a few drips during the summer, and that is 8 months after I applied Krown. Thats good!

Furthermore, it does no damage to pavement and given time, you won't even see any hint of the product. The front of my street where I spray Krown on my own vehicles looks like a war zone prior to the snow flying. The following spring...hardly a trace.

Damaged? I doubt it. Poorly applying the product, certainly possible.

The good thing is it hardly matters as the product creeps so well. Another product that does not drip, now missing areas of application would matter...a lot.

I do my own Krown application. No holes, very thorough, but I know thats not a job most would undertake.