Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493563 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2009, 08:21:47 am »
Hi All - new here - first off - thanks in advance - always appreciate folks taking the time to help out.

I just got my new truck sprayed by the local Krown shop - when I got the truck the dealer installed GM flaps for me - I like the extra protection from the flaps but they did have to drill (rear) to screw them on.  Couple holes in brand new metal always hurts (for a while...:-)

Since there are a few Krown proponents here (ArcticSteve, KrownGuy, Cliff) - hope I can take advantage of your expertise

Question - Will the Krown treatment itself (assuming I do annual) keep these spots from rotting out, or to I need to do something additional (I was told to put a blob of heavy auto grease on each  screw where it pokes thru the metal - I also read that some folks use silicone on the screws (implying I need to back them all out and apply the silicone) -  some spray with rust paint, etc - I even read somewhere that silicone / RTV actually causes rust (some types of RTV, anyway...?). 

Maybe just a can of the Krown spray and blasting those spots a few times over the season is good enough?

Any thoughts appreciated - new trucks are few and very far between....

Thanks
-randy

Stop being so anal, ;D it will take forever before it will rust out, you probably get a new truck before it rust out
This is no longer the 70's or early  80's. I have had a couple of GMCs, both over six years and no rust.
These truck get washed when it rains, and they drive on construction sites
Take a look at most work truck over 10 years old, they usually have very little rust on them

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2009, 06:49:37 am »
Krown and Toyota's hydrids
A letter from Toyota
Please be sure that while talking with our technical services regarding application of an after market rust protection product on a Prius, we were advised that such a product is not recommended by Toyota Canada Inc. Application of rust protection could camouflage the high voltage orange cables, which would result in the electrocution of emergency personnel, the dealer or an independent repair shop if they unconsciously touch orange cables.

It remains your decision to add or not this type of product. Still, with the Prius, the company applying the protection should take more care as to not hide high voltage cables.

Also, damage or breakdown resulting from the application of such product would not be covered by the Toyota new car warranty.

Thank you for your time, etc

rt

« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2009, 01:04:23 pm »
Stop being so anal, ;D

$30K (debt) can do that to you   :D.  I admit, 1 week before buying new I would have said the same thing if someone else asked me the same question. 

My former truck is a also a (93) GMC - actually considering what I put it thru it's not in terrible shape (fenders, cab corners rusting over last couple years).  I know they can last - but now that I'm making payments once again, I'm extra paranoid about the scratches and dents - and the rust. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2009, 01:40:52 pm »
Saw some damage on my truck and Bimmer, but maybe I getting older , not life or death
so it like who cares ;D

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2009, 06:31:31 pm »
Only thing I don't like about the whole process is they change the position of my seat in all 3 areas. The back rest, they move the seat backwards and they lowered the seat as well. It normally takes a me a week to feel like I'm driving my own car again.

KBA

« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2009, 09:08:57 am »
I am so torn about getting Krown done.  ??? ??? ???

A part of me wants to, but the other part of me is sorta freaked out because I was doing some research and I could have swore I read somewhere that their petroleum based spray is not good for any rubber strippings and parts underneath and around the car.
Some people suggest that you're supposed to get some silicon lube and protect the parts?
So how's a girl to do all that work under the car by herself?  :(

I thought after finding this thread this morning and reading it all through it would help me, but I'm still confused if I should get my new Honda Civic sprayed.  :(

Belinda

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2009, 12:45:32 pm »
KBA "Belinda" it's $100 bucks or so..............................don't sweat the small stuff...........tho' it does sweat on yer DRIVE_AWAY...........so wear a MITCHUM MANS  DEODERANT...NO sweat.............. ;D.........................just NIKE IT............do it do it do it till ya cry RUST O LEUM............ :o
Time is to stop everything happening at once

KBA

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2009, 03:52:41 pm »
The dripping part isn't cool because i'll be parking my car for half a day on my brother's driveway. :(
Does it stain permanently or will rain and snowfall wash it out???

Offline mmorriso

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2009, 04:10:13 pm »
http://www.krown.com/#faqs/

park in a nearby parking lot just to be sure. 

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2009, 05:00:26 pm »
Krown's website says it will wear off asphalt after 1-2 weeks. If you have concrete or interlock brick they have a cleaning product that will remove the stain.
Also if you get it done in a colder time of the year (I.E. Now) it won't drip as much.

The first time I had it done it poured off the car (on my parents driveway). The last 2 times it has barely dripped at all. Maybe it was the dealer, not really sure why.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:04:37 pm by RunsinLight »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2009, 05:21:20 pm »
I've been wondering about this statement "will wash off the driveway after a few weeks" ever since I got my 8 Krowned last year. My concern here is that if Krown washes of the driveway in a couple fo weeks then how long will it last on the car if it goes through car washes once a week (or more often as in some of our situations)?
I'm thinking that maybe I will try an alternate product that won't be effected by rain/car washes. ???
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2009, 05:39:25 pm »
I've been wondering about this statement "will wash off the driveway after a few weeks" ever since I got my 8 Krowned last year. My concern here is that if Krown washes of the driveway in a couple fo weeks then how long will it last on the car if it goes through car washes once a week (or more often as in some of our situations)?
I'm thinking that maybe I will try an alternate product that won't be effected by rain/car washes. ???
Railton

I wondered that too...but it's sprayed in nooks and crannies and in other areas they put plugs where's they've drilled holes.  These area aren't subject to direct blasts of water like your driveway would be...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2009, 05:52:44 pm »
Good question But, when you see vehicles that have been Krown'd for the last 18 years and they look bloody amazing considering their age that puts all my concerns to rest.

Railton

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2009, 06:08:10 pm »
Railton

I wondered that too...but it's sprayed in nooks and crannies and in other areas they put plugs where's they've drilled holes.  These area aren't subject to direct blasts of water like your driveway would be...

Agreed, this is a good question. I had my old Integra Krowned every year for the 8 years I had it. It was regularly washed, usually once a week in the winter. I would always notice that in the fall prior to the next Krown application that I could still see some of the Krown fluid oozing at the bottom of the doors and body panels. Somehow, this stuff manages to stay down inside the body panels but will wash off the driveway.  ???

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2009, 06:51:29 pm »
Good question But, when you see vehicles that have been Krown'd for the last 18 years and they look bloody amazing considering their age that puts all my concerns to rest.

Railton
I suggest any reputable rustproofing applied for 18 years on the same vehicle would render similar results.
Bottom line is that I believe that Krown changed the chemical make up of their formula last year (?) and the direct result is that it washes off the driveway now and for me, I would prefer to use a product that won't wash off as I wash the car almost every day. I actually asked the Krown guy last year the same question. His response "Don't wash the car through the Winter". Hardley the answer I was expecting. ::)
When I lived in Ottawa I used a rustproof company called "Metropolitan". I think I will look them up here in the TO area for this year.
Railton

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2009, 08:13:49 pm »
OK, that figures; they're not in Toronto.
http://www.antirouille.com/en/certifications/
Railton

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2009, 09:59:28 pm »
Even though they do wash it after spraying it the original dealer I went to told me not to wash it for 2 weeks. Then give it a really good wash.  If not washing it all winter was important then they'd probably tell you to park your car for good. 

:rofl:

0rbis25

« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2009, 11:22:54 pm »
Hi guys!

Wow lots of questions and thoughts! lemme try and answer as best as I can...

will wash off the driveway after a few weeks" ever since I got my 8 Krowned last year. My concern here is that if Krown washes of the driveway in a couple fo weeks then how long will it last on the car if it goes through car washes once a week (or more often as in some of our situations)?
I'm thinking that maybe I will try an alternate product that won't be effected by rain/car washes.

The problem with car washes is the soap as well as the fact that many car washes use high pressure to wash the underside...soap and high pressure water will break down an oil product (Krown included)...all oil products. Washing a car is very important esp in the winter...but caution must be exercised...sometimes car washes (with high pressure and or recycled water) end up putting water in places that would never get wet in a million years...Rust needs moisture to work...in the winter a lot of the moisture is frozen, car washes and heated garages can sometimes accelerate rust.

as far as the Krown being affected by rain...it is not...however that being said our cars do sit with painted side up!...exposing very little of the underside to rain...not too many chemicals will last when exposed to outside weather without shelter.

I believe that Krown changed the chemical make up of their formula last year
Nope

Does it stain permanently or will rain and snowfall wash it out???
..nope will not permanently stain asphalt...Interlock bricks can be a problem, because the bricks are highly porous 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:26:30 pm by 0rbis25 »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2009, 11:32:56 pm »

The problem with car washes is the soap as well as the fact that many car washes use high pressure to wash the underside...soap and high pressure water will break down an oil product (Krown included)...all oil products. Washing a car is very important esp in the winter...but caution must be exercised...sometimes car washes (with high pressure and or recycled water) end up putting water in places that would never get wet in a million years...Rust needs moisture to work...in the winter a lot of the moisture is frozen, car washes and heated garages can sometimes accelerate rust.

So Krown does not recommend washing the car with soap and hi-pressure washes as it will remove the product correct?
As far as a change to the formula, there was a big sign a meter high at the Krown dealer I went to last year that was advertising a change. If not last year then when was the formula changed?
Railton

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2009, 11:38:07 pm »
I thought the point of Krown was to get into all the panel gaps, including those inside the doors etc.  This isn't somewhere water would normally get so it should still be worth it no?

Also, should you wash the car before getting it treated or does that just coat everything in water?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...