Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493588 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2009, 01:43:41 am »
I would pass.

Offline krownguy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2009, 08:11:10 pm »
If you were going to keep it longer than two years I would say spray it, but to be honest save your money.

0rbis25

« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2009, 06:41:50 pm »
I have a 5 year old vehicle, so far no rust on it.

I plan to keep it for approximately 2 more years. I live in Ontario and it's my daily driver.

Should I rust proof it?

Well as someone who owns a Krown shop for the last 12 years, I always recommend to spray it...few reasons being,
-we end up keeping our cars longers then we planned...
-the same goes for people who lease their vehicles reason being: at the end of the lease you have the option of either handing it in or buying it out right, the choice is not always easy because perhaps there is a ton of KM's on vehicle or maybe the person is not in a finacial postion to buy it out right or maybe if they have been taking care of their vehicle such as having it treated with Krown, keeping it clean, oil changed etc and with all the paper work, they can very often sell it for more then what the buyout is...imagine selling a 5 year old car...with a rust proof Warranty back by a National company such as Krown? that would indeed be worth at the very very least an extra $500.00 dollars at the time of sale, if not more.

If anyone has any qustions about applications or of a technical nature... feel free to send me a tell, or post here I will do my best to answer as a consumer as well as a dealer!

Cliff

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2009, 07:22:19 pm »
..Welcome Cliff...............nice 1st past the POST......how much will ya  give me fer a 2000 Millenia that has been ZIEBFARTED..(once)............ ;) :shuffle:................but it is a good point i never "intended" to keep Millie fer 6 plus years.......(bought 2nd hand  Ooopps slightlydriven by a virgin!!!).................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

68Polara

« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2009, 10:40:09 am »
Based on recommendations on this site, I had my 1968 Dodge Polara 500 Krowned a couple of months ago.  I took it to the location in Ottawa (on Catherine St.).  I've only owned the car since last Nov. where it had spent its life in Calgary.  It's in excellent condition with only slight surface rust on the undercarriage.  I have and will continue to store it in a proper, slightly heated facility during the winter. 

My concern for rustproofing was because the car is 9" too long for my garage (can't close the door).  I live rurally and am forced to store the car outdoors on a dirt road and I was concerned that the humidity would quickly rust-out the car.  Next week, a small section of the driveway/road will be redone to lay down some thermofoil (a vapour barrier tyrp material for such applications) and cover it with aggregate.  I'll then buy a portable car shelter for that area. 

For me, it's obviously too soon to tell if the Krown process will protect an old car like the Polara, but based on my reading here, I have a good feeling that I'm doing all the right things to help ensure the car stays looking as great as it does for years to come.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2009, 12:33:35 pm »
I have a 5 year old vehicle, so far no rust on it.

I plan to keep it for approximately 2 more years. I live in Ontario and it's my daily driver.

Should I rust proof it?

I would.  Consider that the 2 x $125 bucks could very likely keep it in the same shape it is now.   I had a car that came from BC, and it quickly went down hill after a few eastern Ontario winters.

Not sure if they'll "guarantee" it though at 5 years old??  Maybe cliff knows.

0rbis25

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2009, 10:14:03 pm »
Not sure if they'll "guarantee" it though at 5 years old??  Maybe cliff knows.

The warranty applies to new vehicles purchased less than 6 months prior to application of KROWN, within 12 months of manufacturer’s production date, (found on the V.I.N)

Unfortunatetly even though a car can be in great shape or perhaps has been out of the salt or nasty weather...does not change the fact that the vehicle has still aged...most vehicles don't show rust till the 5th or 6th year, meaning that even a so called "new car" will still have rust but not visible...and the real kicker is that with a new car, you are still buying a car that is perhaps already 2 years old.

Ex: Buddy goes to (G)overment (M)otors to buy a car tomorrow...he may be looking at an 09, but in reality it was made in 08 with parts and steel that has been stored for the last 6-12 months so in reality...he is buying a car that is close to 2 years old.

Cliff

zeeboy47

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2009, 05:31:09 pm »
Krowned my 05 Highlander a couple of years back, and would like to do it again. I was not too happy with the dealer the second time he did it, since he seemed rushed.
Is there any where that the product can be bought, and I will get the old compressor going to do it myself.
Montreal would be nice, but going to Ottawa or Toronto is possible.

Any one know where? ???

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2009, 05:33:03 pm »
I think you can buy it from a Krown shop actually.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2009, 10:49:02 am »
Krowned my 05 Highlander a couple of years back, and would like to do it again. I was not too happy with the dealer the second time he did it, since he seemed rushed.
Is there any where that the product can be bought, and I will get the old compressor going to do it myself.

Any one know where? ???

I get it done at Nelson's Garage.  They do good work and if ever there is a problem in one year, just note it down for next year and tell them before you get it re-done.  They will take care to avoid whatever it was that was not right the first time around.

Their info can be found here.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2009, 01:02:24 am »
Just buy a car with a 12 year rust warranty and save $1200 for 12 years. ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2009, 04:15:25 pm »
 ::) sounds LIKE a "no claims BONUS"................. :P

0rbis25

« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2009, 10:05:47 pm »

Any one know where? ???

you could check out krown.com and look for a dealer in the montreal area...the retail is about $10 a litre

zeeboy47

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2009, 11:42:09 am »
Thanks Random, I got it done at Nelson's both times.

I'll see if they will sell me the stuff, and go it myself. :D

silvrback76

« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2009, 11:53:42 am »
From what i have heard, Peter at the streetsville shop has hired his old crew back that have damanged a couple of cars, sprayed oil on the inside seats and all around hack job. I know the queensway location has a new properly trained crew from the home office in schomburg. I would go see the Queensway crew and let them walk you through the process before getting your car sprayed. I also didn't like the fact that Peter would charge an extra $10 for drilling the holes when all Krowns have set price guides hanging in the shops. Queensway is the one to go to. The location is 1401 the queensway 416-503-0505 ask for James Smith. They also extend the hours for a couple of months in the winter. open 7 days a week just to help everyone

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2009, 03:15:16 pm »
I've been going to Krown since my car was bought new.

As to those corrosion warranties. You have to read the fine prints.  Many only cover if it's rusted through within certain years.  Surface rust is not covered I believe.

---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2009, 03:22:21 pm »
 ..MOST OF US   ..... :shuffle:...have difficulty seeing RUST until it comes to the SURFACE....... :bang: :think: :light:...c'mere Rusty lie down and play dead.........

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2009, 11:58:57 pm »
From what i have heard, Peter at the streetsville shop has hired his old crew back that have damanged a couple of cars, sprayed oil on the inside seats and all around hack job. I know the queensway location has a new properly trained crew from the home office in schomburg. I would go see the Queensway crew and let them walk you through the process before getting your car sprayed. I also didn't like the fact that Peter would charge an extra $10 for drilling the holes when all Krowns have set price guides hanging in the shops. Queensway is the one to go to. The location is 1401 the queensway 416-503-0505 ask for James Smith. They also extend the hours for a couple of months in the winter. open 7 days a week just to help everyone

Not sure that's a very fair first post, slagging off someone's business like that..?   ::) ::)  You friends with James Smith perchance?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

rt

« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »
Hi All - new here - first off - thanks in advance - always appreciate folks taking the time to help out.

I just got my new truck sprayed by the local Krown shop - when I got the truck the dealer installed GM flaps for me - I like the extra protection from the flaps but they did have to drill (rear) to screw them on.  Couple holes in brand new metal always hurts (for a while...:-)

Since there are a few Krown proponents here (ArcticSteve, KrownGuy, Cliff) - hope I can take advantage of your expertise

Question - Will the Krown treatment itself (assuming I do annual) keep these spots from rotting out, or to I need to do something additional (I was told to put a blob of heavy auto grease on each  screw where it pokes thru the metal - I also read that some folks use silicone on the screws (implying I need to back them all out and apply the silicone) -  some spray with rust paint, etc - I even read somewhere that silicone / RTV actually causes rust (some types of RTV, anyway...?). 

Maybe just a can of the Krown spray and blasting those spots a few times over the season is good enough?

Any thoughts appreciated - new trucks are few and very far between....

Thanks
-randy

0rbis25

« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:24 pm »

Question - Will the Krown treatment itself (assuming I do annual) keep these spots from rotting out, or to I need to do something additional (I was told to put a blob of heavy auto grease on each  screw where it pokes thru the metal - I also read that some folks use silicone on the screws (implying I need to back them all out and apply the silicone) -  some spray with rust paint, etc - I even read somewhere that silicone / RTV actually causes rust (some types of RTV, anyway...?). 

Maybe just a can of the Krown spray and blasting those spots a few times over the season is good enough?

Any thoughts appreciated - new trucks are few and very far between....

Thanks
-randy

Im not an expert on mud flap, however

first of all I would make sure that the screws are a good quality...often the screws start to rust before the painted surface.
Grease won't hurt that is for sure...the problem with mud flaps (depending on your type) is that because of the job they do (deflect mud) they can often collect mud in behind the flap esp in the front...and that holds the moisture.

If it was my truck I would check the screws
back off the screws a bit and spray with Krown...then retighten
Keep mud and crap from building up...in other words keep it clean.
and spray Krown every now and then.