Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493585 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »
Krown doesn't damage asphalt, but it stains it for a long time depending on how lite coloured the asphalt as become.  If it's a relatively new drive then it's not going to be noticeable, but if it's like an older paved street then it's really noticeable.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2008, 07:32:52 pm »
not great for grass

Offline krownguy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2008, 09:54:54 pm »
Krownguy, A question or two for you.
1. How does the Krown treatment stand-up to automatic car washes that use an underbody spray wash and so called "rustite" spray applications? Will continual use of the automatic washes 'wash' away the krown undercoating?
2. In the Krown brochures it states that it is not recommended to park a freshly sprayed car/truck on concrete (like in the garage) yet it is OK to park on asphalt. How long does it take for the drip residue to wash off the driveway then or will it ever? If not I would suggest that the brochure be edited to read park it other than an asphalt or concrete driveway.
Railton
1.What we recommend is that people avoid those car washes not because of the rustproofing but because of they are hard on your car finish. That hasn't stopped me from using one in a pinch when I'm away from the shop.
2. I don't have a brochure in front of me but I think what they mean is interlocking brick. It acts like a sponge drawing dirt down into the stone along with the oil making it hard to remove. With asphalt it really just fades with time.
The first 24 hours is the worst but if you can park in the garage, that is the easiest way to contain the dripping. put a little cardboard on the floor and after a few days just put in your recycling box

patterdo

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2009, 12:15:56 pm »
I live in the Burlington area. Can anyone recommend a reliable shop between Hamilton and the south part of Toronto. thx

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2009, 08:29:26 pm »
Don't think that Markham & Eglington location exists anymore based on the Krown web site.

Anyone know of a good Krown location they'd recommend in east GTA (Scarborough/Markham to Oshawa)?

Thanks!
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline silverpontiac

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2009, 08:41:24 pm »
sirAQUAMAN64 - Krown at 3590 St.Clair Ave. E. (St. Clair Ave. E. and Danforth Rd. which is east of Danforth Rd. on the north side of St. Clair is a good locaiton. I get mine done there each year with good results. Very good application. I'm satisfied with their service.

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2009, 10:15:36 pm »
Someone asked about Krown on another car board and the general consensus there was to not do it because it plugs up drain holes which will actually cause more rust than it will prevent, and also all newer cars are already well protected from salt from the factory. Is any of this true?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2009, 10:54:42 pm »
Krown is pretty light stuff, I can't see it plugging anything. New cars still rust, AFAIK, lots of mild steel underneath yet.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2009, 11:47:23 pm »
Someone asked about Krown on another car board and the general consensus there was to not do it because it plugs up drain holes which will actually cause more rust than it will prevent, and also all newer cars are already well protected from salt from the factory. Is any of this true?

Not a word.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2009, 06:31:46 am »
Don't think that Markham & Eglington location exists anymore based on the Krown web site.

Anyone know of a good Krown location they'd recommend in east GTA (Scarborough/Markham to Oshawa)?

Thanks!

There is one in Cobourg, easier to drive to Cobourg then Scarb

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2009, 09:08:57 am »

Thanks!

There is one in Cobourg, easier to drive to Cobourg then Scarb

Truck was bought from a Scarborough dealer, and often west but rarely east.

Thanks for the info guys.

Offline krownguy

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2009, 10:45:01 pm »

Sorry I've been away from the boards so long. I needed a little recovery time after the busy season.
Being a light oil based product, there is no way krown can plug any drain holes. Although some dealers use a wax based product which can cause problems.
Take a walk around any parking lot and see how that factory protection is working.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2009, 08:15:48 am »
 I'd watch around sunroof drain holes though. If Krown or any undercoating gets around where the water is supposed to exit[usually at bottoms  of rocker panels] dirt can accumulate there ,plugging up the holes. I had  a prelude with a factory sunroof . These holes were blocked at the bottom .Ended up with water in the back seat. :o
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2009, 05:19:10 pm »
Yurgus after "YOU "get crowned "U" may wanta live inna cardboard BOX fer 2 weeks...NOT ME!!!! :P ::) :rofl:

Exactly Safristi that's what i do for a few days after i get my car krowned.
I lay old sheets of panelling on my driveway,then drive car on to them keeping my driveway krown free. It's weird but it works.Think of it as a diaper for cars.

Andrew

I get mine Krowned in the summer.. I try to do it before a road trip and let the 401 and the hotel parking lots take the drips!  Even if just a weekend, the worst of it is prob the first few days.  Better yet, if flying out somewhere, let the  park & ride get dripped on for a good week or 2!   

Offline krownguy

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2009, 10:43:26 am »
I'd watch around sunroof drain holes though. If Krown or any undercoating gets around where the water is supposed to exit[usually at bottoms  of rocker panels] dirt can accumulate there ,plugging up the holes. I had  a prelude with a factory sunroof . These holes were blocked at the bottom .Ended up with water in the back seat. :o

Leaves do a good job plugging those holes. We see that in the lower part of the fenders all the time. Nice black compost comes out along with the rust caused by it sitting there.

zeeboy47

« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2009, 12:13:48 am »
Gee whiz folks, what is it with you debating whether cars rust better in Vancouver or Halifax. Everyone knows that Montreal is the king of the rust buckets. We do not unfortunately even consider a vehicle getting to 10 years. Between the salt (I think they used 100 tonnes of it last winter), and the potholes, the vehicle cycle here is: first 5 years they rust, second 5 years the rust falls off due to the bouncing around.

More importantly I have used the Krown for my Highlander, and am hoping to change the above cycle. 4 years in, and still silver.

Question is.....Does anyone know where I can get a gallon of the T-40 stuff in Montreal or Toronto since I want to apply it myself?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2009, 12:43:35 am »
Local dealer should be able to supply you.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2009, 01:32:28 pm »
I've used Krown for several years and will continue to do so.

However there have been a couple of issues:

1)  The stuff gets into the window slots on my doors, leaving nasty streaks which can take weeks or even months to dry.  I've spoken to the guys and will do so again this year.

2)  My radiator and condenser apparently got nicely gummed up with the stuff, causing problems.  It was suggested that I hose them down while washing my car.  Since I don't have a  place to do that I take it elsewhere.  I'll ask the garage where I get the Krown treatment if there is any better solution.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline krownguy

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2009, 08:52:17 pm »
I've used Krown for several years and will continue to do so.

However there have been a couple of issues:

1)  The stuff gets into the window slots on my doors, leaving nasty streaks which can take weeks or even months to dry.  I've spoken to the guys and will do so again this year.

2)  My radiator and condenser apparently got nicely gummed up with the stuff, causing problems.  It was suggested that I hose them down while washing my car.  Since I don't have a  place to do that I take it elsewhere.  I'll ask the garage where I get the Krown treatment if there is any better solution.
1. Tell them of your problems. There are ways of getting around it.

2. I try to avoid the fins and just spray the seams and brackets. Be careful not to use high pressure water too close to the fins or you could damage them.

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2009, 10:41:45 pm »
I have a 5 year old vehicle, so far no rust on it.

I plan to keep it for approximately 2 more years. I live in Ontario and it's my daily driver.

Should I rust proof it?