Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493466 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #340 on: February 02, 2015, 09:25:10 pm »
I might just give it a go in the Spring! If I do I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks, I love my Sonoma. It was the first vehicle that I kept as a daily vehicle for a long time, drove it through highschool, university, first date with my fiancee, proposed to my fiancee in it...It's just an old truck, but it's earned it's space in the garage.
It's a 4.3L, automatic, ZQ8, which is basically an Xtreme minus the bodykit, it has the lower suspension, close ratio steering, blah, blah..Mine also has a blazer leather interior and I bunch of other small tweaks. I used to be very active in the S-series community, back when it was active, lol. Organized a bunch of meets in Southern Ontario, and even traveled to a few in the U.S. I still frequent S10forum, but post a lot less.
I was also looking for a Blazer/Jimmy recently as a beater. You're right, it's very difficult to find something that's not rotten or even worth the effort of fixing up. Looking for a ZR-2 makes it that much harder. I ended up finding a deal on a really solid 85 Trans Am, so I am going to use that now instead.

The Colorado in the pic isn't mine, I moonlight as an automotive writer and I took these pics as a size comparison for my review a couple months ago.

Glad to have another S-series guy here..Not much love out there for these anymore, lol.

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
  • Cars: 2002 Chevrolet S-10 Xtreme
« Reply #341 on: February 03, 2015, 09:14:47 am »
I might just give it a go in the Spring! If I do I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks, I love my Sonoma. It was the first vehicle that I kept as a daily vehicle for a long time, drove it through highschool, university, first date with my fiancee, proposed to my fiancee in it...It's just an old truck, but it's earned it's space in the garage.
It's a 4.3L, automatic, ZQ8, which is basically an Xtreme minus the bodykit, it has the lower suspension, close ratio steering, blah, blah..Mine also has a blazer leather interior and I bunch of other small tweaks. I used to be very active in the S-series community, back when it was active, lol. Organized a bunch of meets in Southern Ontario, and even traveled to a few in the U.S. I still frequent S10forum, but post a lot less.
I was also looking for a Blazer/Jimmy recently as a beater. You're right, it's very difficult to find something that's not rotten or even worth the effort of fixing up. Looking for a ZR-2 makes it that much harder. I ended up finding a deal on a really solid 85 Trans Am, so I am going to use that now instead.

The Colorado in the pic isn't mine, I moonlight as an automotive writer and I took these pics as a size comparison for my review a couple months ago.

Glad to have another S-series guy here..Not much love out there for these anymore, lol.

I shared similar memories with my 94 s10. Thats the beauty of getting attached to any car. But these S series pickups are special. They just don't make a small packaged truck like this. I love the new Colorado/Canyon's but they are borderline full size pickups on the outside but the inside you can definitely tell its not a full size. They are beautiful, but test driving one, I was somewhat impressed. Its obviously smoother, much much quieter and more refined, but the engine's output seemed sluggish. If they offered a manual with the 3.6L I would consider it. Maybe they will offer it with the diesel, we shall see!

I'm part of the S10forum.com (not s10forums.com) community as well. Been there since 2007 but lurked around way back when it was much more active. Kind of like this forum I lurke around but never sign up until I have something to say. Since they got rid of the S series trucks things just died down. Its bound to happen. People move on, trade in their vehicles, lose their vehicles and they join other communities. In 09 i bought a Mazda 3 GT and I was part of torontomazda3.ca community and met a lot of people... once i sold the car i hardly been on there. Just the way it goes.

I was working for Bruce Power nuclear power plant during the summer and I met a guy who had an 2005 Blazer ZR2 with the manual transmission in black. Immaculate. Unbelievable. He wouldn't sell it to me. Guess he loves it just as much as I love mine. I haven't found anything remotely close.

Got pics of your trans am? I had an 86 Trans Am when I was really young. The first car I learned sitck on. I miss it.

Sorry for going off topic guys.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #342 on: February 03, 2015, 04:27:10 pm »
Late to the party here but thanks for the effort Phil! Great test.

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
« Reply #343 on: February 04, 2015, 09:05:11 am »
Late to the party here but thanks for the effort Phil! Great test.

Thanks! :)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #344 on: February 04, 2015, 09:12:00 am »
Got pics of your trans am? I had an 86 Trans Am when I was really young. The first car I learned sitck on. I miss it.
Sorry for going off topic guys.

If you look in the Show & Shine forum here I've got a recent thread with some pics. I'll get some better ones once I get a chance to work on it.

I am reviewing another Colorado this week, a Z71 this time. The more time I spend with these the more I like them. The 3.6L is a little sluggish, but I think it's more a function of the transmission just being really slow to respond to anything. My Sonoma is the same way. It's been nice to have 4x4 and some ground clearance on such a messy week!

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
« Reply #345 on: February 08, 2015, 08:44:52 am »
Heads up - anyone want to stock up a few cans of Corrosion Free's Rust Cure Formula 3000, its on sale again at TSC for $4.24 (55% off the 9.99 price)

I never seen it that low!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2015, 08:36:01 am »
Go too know. I'll have to make a point of stopping by the TSC this week.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #347 on: February 09, 2015, 12:02:22 pm »
i always love going through their flyer... and i think i have been in a tsc store once in my life.

might be a good reason to check it out though. haven't used the rust cure... should i stock up on a few cans and spray the whole underside of my jeep when i get a chance, or is it a spot fix/touch-up?
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 09, 2015, 01:06:37 pm »
i always love going through their flyer... and i think i have been in a tsc store once in my life.

might be a good reason to check it out though. haven't used the rust cure... should i stock up on a few cans and spray the whole underside of my jeep when i get a chance, or is it a spot fix/touch-up?

It can be used for a complete spray or touch ups. The Aerosol cans are better for touch ups though, I feel like it would take a lot of cans to do a thorough complete spray. I looked at the DIY kit the Phil mentioned at TSC and it's pretty simple....spray gun (air line/compressor required) and a jug of the bulk fluid. That said, unless you've got somewhere to do it, you may be best getting the truck spray professionally and then using the aerosol cans for touch-up.

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2015, 06:24:51 am »
I'm agreeing with what Firm said. I wouldn't really use the cans to do a complete job. It's great for touch ups on doors, hinges, battery terminals, bolts and wherever metal is stamped together. I would try looking for a shop that you know and trust that carries it.

I stopped at TSC in Orangeville and picked up 10 cans. 42.10. Sure beats the price at CDN tire of 120.99 for 10 cans.

They also sell the huge 4L jugs and a smaller 800ML container. (Basically two cans but not aresol). Those regularly go on sale. I have a 4L jug which I got back in December for 39.99. I also noticed they had a  kit with the gun and an 800L bottle. I didn't see a price though. Incase you want to go down that route and DIY.

Offline trebororr

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Mazda 3, 2005 Mazda RX-8, 2000 Ford Taurus
« Reply #350 on: February 15, 2015, 08:53:05 pm »
I had Corrosion Free applied to one of my cars (a 2010 Mazda 3) at Robinson's Automotive in Mississauga, Ontario.  The application is rather expensive at $160 plus taxes.  Did not like the fact that the transaction only took 35 minutes (set off warning bells) in total.  When I looked beneath the car a few weeks later noticed that the fuel tank wasn't completely covered with rust-proofing.  Will have to return in spring to rectify problem as car is currently in storage.

Offline philip@freire.ca

• Learner's Permit
  • Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • FREIRE.ca
« Reply #351 on: February 15, 2015, 11:22:55 pm »
I had Corrosion Free applied to one of my cars (a 2010 Mazda 3) at Robinson's Automotive in Mississauga, Ontario.  The application is rather expensive at $160 plus taxes.  Did not like the fact that the transaction only took 35 minutes (set off warning bells) in total.  When I looked beneath the car a few weeks later noticed that the fuel tank wasn't completely covered with rust-proofing.  Will have to return in spring to rectify problem as car is currently in storage.

I agree the cost is extremely highly. I have no experience with Robinson's shop but have heard many good things about his work on the Internet. But a 35 minute job with missed areas, that 160 starts looking like a rip off.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:04:02 pm by Phil86 »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 16, 2015, 12:33:43 am »
That's where I had my single Corrosion Free application experience as well...same deal, found dry spots. Took it back and they touched up, but it still wasn't as thorough as the Krown I've been using (Bolton). I also used to use Robinson as my primary mechanic for stuff that i didn't want to/couldn't do in my driveway back in the day. In the beginning they were great, but service began to slide and price started to go up, after a handful of incidents I decided to take my business elsewhere.

On a related note: yesterday before the deep freeze rolled in i took the Firebird to the coin-op and gave the underbody a good rinse. Then today once everything had dried out in the crazy cold I slide underneath in the driveway with a can of Corrosion Free to touched up some areas. I also rubbed chassis grease on some of the floor pan seams that i know tend to rot on these cars.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:39:51 am by Firm »

Offline teared1232

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Camry
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2015, 02:09:55 pm »
I just had my car rust proofed by Rust Check. I'd highly recommend going to them.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 18, 2015, 07:36:07 pm »
I haven't heard anything about Orangeville, or Mississauga for that matter. I've been using the Bolton location because they sponsor the local F-body club and do excellent work.

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2015, 03:27:09 pm »
Interesting results, thanks for sharing. I recall another home study a few years ago, likely still on the interwebs, where the samples were left outdoors for a period. In that one, Krown came out the clear winner and WD-40 did quite well also.  :)

Fluid Film is lanolin based, not petroleum. I have used the Fluid Film NAS for the underbody and yes it is clearly different from the spray cans in coating. I can't speak to any difference in effectiveness though, just having used the spray can in the hard to reach places like the inside quarter panels etc. When I last checked this past fall, there was only minimal surface rust on the underside after 4 winters, some of that since delivery. It's cheap, probably get 3-4 applications per gallon on a small car depending how heavy it is applied. No complaints on my part.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2015, 03:37:48 pm »
I haven't heard anything about Orangeville, or Mississauga for that matter. I've been using the Bolton location because they sponsor the local F-body club and do excellent work.

I have used the Krown on 345 Watline in Mississauga for the last five years on both our cars.  Very good job, appointments kept on time.

I'd recommend them without reservation if it helps.
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #357 on: February 28, 2015, 10:26:21 pm »
KROWN in Vaughan is where I usually go. They have a chocolate Labrador retriever named Bear. Everybody is his best friend, and he melts my heart. That's why I always go there. I know, I'm a sucker.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2015, 02:07:51 pm »
Krown’s T40 formula preformed alright.

It performs more than just alright.

When we tested products in our DND labs, the Krown came out on top. These test were performed to standards such as SAE or ASTM. The tests included salt spray chambers, creep, etc.

And in the end, the proof is in the pudding or car. I bought my car new in 1999 and sold it to a friend 15 years later totally rust-free. And if he does not get bored of it, he'll easily get another 10 years out of it.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #359 on: April 28, 2015, 12:44:48 am »
Oct 26. 1998 Krown rustproofed my brand new 1999 silver Impreza. Repeated every year until my 84 year old mother pointed out the rust on the passenger sill.

So Sept 19, 2004, Krown paid to repaint my Impreza, which had rust streaming from every hole they drilled. The dull drills they used left ripped up metal and even the plastic plugs they shoved in them never fit flush with the body due to the curled up edges.

At least they honored their warranty without a fuss. And so I haven't used them since - who would after that? BTW, the repaint never re-rusted.

The formula they use may be wonderful, but their techniques are abysmal, because they just do not care. It's all rip and tear by untrained morons so far as I could see, and the body shop that repainted the car agreed.

Strictly luck of the draw.