Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493492 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2012, 08:16:10 am »
In an age where most people keep their cars 4-5-6 years at the most, is rust-proofing really all that necessary? And when looking at used cars, will you want to pay a premium because it has been rust-proofed? Meh. In my opinion, cars are constructed well-enough these days that rust-proofing is throwing money in the garbage. Our Sportage is almost 6 years old now, and no signs of rust anywhere on the body. Sure, there might be some rust underneath somewhere, but it's still not going to affect anything in the next 4-5 years of ownership, afterwhich we'll be more than ready to replace it with something else. Over ten years, that's over $1000 I can keep in my pocket. It's a no-brainer, IMO.

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2012, 08:34:51 am »
I've always posted various car related pix on the numerous forums I'm an active member of, and even tho they're unrelated, they just ad some interesting content, IMO. I've never heard anyone complain, or express anxiety, but I see your point. Maybe I'll start a post with a poll asking that specific question. Admittedly, the other forums I post at are more "car crazy", this would seem to be more conservative forum.

As I offered, feel free to remove the product placement pix. The others? They are like ice breakers. I post them to show that I'm really a car guy, and to show my interests.

Sorry about the "promotional" pix, I get the message. I offer my apologies, and assure all I am no spammer! I guess you've had your share of them. I wouldn't have any patience either  :(

Because, as you've demonstrated yet again, you keep attaching pictures that are irrelevant to the post and the topic.  That's what spammers do, especially when they first register on a forum.  That's why I deleted your post.  Are you new to forum etiquette?     

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #262 on: January 05, 2012, 08:40:29 am »
I just yesterday heard an American radio station mention that the average car (ownership) is 11 years old. If I didn't have to got to work rite now, I'd find that statistic

But If the vehicle is to be kept less that 10 years, I would agree with the poster

This's the 1st link I found, it has ads, but has the fact I mentioned

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1025087_average-age-of-cars-in-u-s-increases

I just glanced at this...Canadian stats...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/wfpfeatured/average-age-of-vehicles-on-canadian-roads-increasing--desrosiers-133699828.html

In an age where most people keep their cars 4-5-6 years at the most, is rust-proofing really all that necessary? And when looking at used cars, will you want to pay a premium because it has been rust-proofed? Meh. In my opinion, cars are constructed well-enough these days that rust-proofing is throwing money in the garbage. Our Sportage is almost 6 years old now, and no signs of rust anywhere on the body. Sure, there might be some rust underneath somewhere, but it's still not going to affect anything in the next 4-5 years of ownership, afterwhich we'll be more than ready to replace it with something else. Over ten years, that's over $1000 I can keep in my pocket. It's a no-brainer, IMO.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2012, 08:47:49 am »
I've always posted various car related pix on the numerous forums I'm an active member of, and even tho they're unrelated, they just ad some interesting content, IMO. I've never heard anyone complain, or express anxiety, but I see your point. Maybe I'll start a post with a poll asking that specific question. Admittedly, the other forums I post at are more "car crazy", this would seem to be more conservative forum.

As I offered, feel free to remove the product placement pix. The others? They are like ice breakers. I post them to show that I'm really a car guy, and to show my interests.

Sorry about the "promotional" pix, I get the message. I offer my apologies, and assure all I am no spammer! I guess you've had your share of them. I wouldn't have any patience either  :(

Appreciate your understanding.  If you want to show off your vehicles, go to the Show and Shine section, and start your own thread there with as many pictures as you want.  Anywhere else, it is unnecessary (not to mention annoying to the reader) to be constantly attaching a multitude of personal photos that are not relevant to the topic.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2012, 08:53:22 am »
Appreciate your understanding.  If you want to show off your vehicles, go to the Show and Shine section, and start your own thread there with as many pictures as you want.  Anywhere else, it is unnecessary (not to mention annoying to the reader) to be constantly attaching a multitude of personal photos that are not relevant to the topic.

Oh shi...

:rofl:

Don't be put off, SUBURBAN.  It takes some new members some time to get the hang of things around here.  ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2012, 09:06:53 am »
Mr T ..i bet that wagon is rusted through and through.......and how are yer JOINTS doing !!???? :stick: :shuffle: :fall:.........were U the inspiration for Boss Hog's shew..... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2012, 09:25:47 am »
Shall do! Getting back to the rustproofing, I'm still waiting for the FF gel compound, cause as I mentioned earlier, the auto product they sell washed off in the wheel wells pretty quickly. What I brought this to the companies attention, the gentleman I spoke to said "that wasn't what he wanted to hear". What I find surprising is that after selling the product for a zillion years, I was the 1st to notice this shortcoming, or bring it to their attention?

This situation reminds me of the ball joint and tie rod grease boots. The OE ones have a balloon boot that unless broken by overfilling, can retain grease for years, and 100% exclude water. The A/C Delco ones I installed on my Suburbans have umbrella boots, that don't hold in any grease, just semi-protect the joint.

Now I wish I could find a pix of that boot. My HD is LOADED!!!

Offline grumble812

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Saturn, Dodge
« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2013, 10:27:16 am »
Just an fyi to anyone whose car is mostly plastic. Mostly newer models. Make sure you know who is spraying your vehicle.
Krown messed my Saturn up and has cost me over 2500 dollars in repairs because of their lack of knowledge with plastics and their spray.
They sprayed all in the inside of my exterior door panels. (Oil adhesive or oil especially a lot will dry out plastic) This indeed happened and the plastic clips dried, cracked and shattered. I also had the rubber seal which attaches the gas line to gas filter expand and allow my gas filter to rust out (2 months after application). When I brought the vehicle back the gentleman told me he had never heard that oil is bad for plastic or rubber.

0rbis25

« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2013, 03:00:07 pm »
what year is your vehicle, and how many times have you had it sprayed?

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2013, 03:40:23 pm »
I'm debating getting the bottom of our '06 Grand Vitara done.  I hesitate because when we had a '91 Pathfinder, the spraying had an interesting problem.

We drive on a lot of gravel roads in summer and wet salted roads in winter.  In summer the oil spray absorbs dust and eventually forms a crust that remains in place but separates from the metal.  It seems the dust is more attractive to the oily spray than the metal.  Moisture, in the form of salt spray from winter driving, accumulates between this crust and the metal, providing a perfect place for corrosion to proceed.  We had to replace all the gas lines on the PF because they rusted out underneath the spray/crust.  Some sheet metal underneath also suffered from this circumstance.  And although it slowed the rust, the spray did not halt the classic rusting issues of that generation PF.  Which was mainly under the back seat, the rear bottom corners of the rear door openings, and the gas tank. I kept the frame from rusting by flushing it out.

This may be solved by getting the spray done every year, while I was only having it done every two years.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:42:00 pm by X-Traction »
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline m323

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: many
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2013, 10:08:09 am »
just had my cherokee repainted. the body shop receomended I get it rust proofed at either Krown or one other.

I went to Krown in Oshawa. 130.00 for the "rustproofing" plus i had them shampoo the motor.

AFTER it was done, they said, "Oh, by the way... it will smoke and drip a bit for a couple of days"

So I left... at every stop sign fumes of smoke engulfed the car.

so I got home parked it on the driveway. Immediately saw it "dripping" as they call it. after 20 min, my driveway was well spotted with oil marks. So I moved it out onto the road. its been parked there for 2 days now and STILL "DRIPPING" the road is covered in oil. I Imagine my neighbours are gong to complain.

Had I know this is what was going to happen, I would not have done it!

also, the stay at the Krown Rust shop was short about 30 min and I DID NOT hear a drill running during that time. I have NOT inspected the vehicle yet because I don't want to go under it like it is like the :censor: Exon Valdez seems pretty doubtful that they drilled any holes

and 3rd, I watched the guy make up my bill on the monitor and he clicked "NO WARRANTY"

is there any other kind of undercoating that does not leak all over the driveway?

0rbis25

« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2013, 05:20:48 pm »
just had my cherokee repainted. the body shop receomended I get it rust proofed at either Krown or one other.

I went to Krown in Oshawa. 130.00 for the "rustproofing" plus i had them shampoo the motor.

AFTER it was done, they said, "Oh, by the way... it will smoke and drip a bit for a couple of days"

so I got home parked it on the driveway. Immediately saw it "dripping" as they call it. after 20 min, my driveway was well spotted with oil marks. So I moved it out onto the road. its been parked there for 2 days now and STILL "DRIPPING" the road is covered in oil. I Imagine my neighbours are gong to complain.

also, the stay at the Krown Rust shop was short about 30 min and I DID NOT hear a drill running during that time. I have NOT inspected the vehicle yet because I don't want to go under it like it is like the :censor: Exon Valdez seems pretty doubtful that they drilled any holes

and 3rd, I watched the guy make up my bill on the monitor and he clicked "NO WARRANTY"

is there any other kind of undercoating that does not leak all over the driveway?

Hi m323

Hi yep...there are lots of other products out there that don't drip...but unfortunately they don't have the ability to creep or penetrate and because of that do not have the ability to displace moisture thereby preventing or slowing rust  :( 

The dripping does sound a bit excessive but don't worry there will be no permanent damage to driveway or road and will eventually wash away.

As far as your other points with regards to drilling you should check before implying that holes were not drilled, all you have to do is look at your doors and rocker panels to see the holes, they are typically covered with a 3/8 inch plug, many dealers will also try and take advantage of any preexisting holes already there. 

Warranties are limited to the age of the vehicle click here for further info   http://www.krown.com/warranty/

and if you still had questions this is a nice FAQ section: http://www.krown.com/faqs.php

And if you still have some questions, post here, ill do my best to answer them!!

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2013, 05:42:48 pm »

You were advised it would smoke and drip after application. Then you complain because it smoked and dripped.  :banghead: I would doubt the neighbours will complain about drips on public street.

The smoking should have stopped by now. The dripping pretty much stops on day 3 or 4. It would be very advisable to give you SUV a thorough wash around day 4. Any drips down body panel tend to congeal and turn to a gum like substance. You want to wash that off the outside of your car.

The holes are not under the car but rather in doors, rocker panel, tailgate etc etc. You will see little black plastic plugs that plug 1/2 inch holes.

You did not say how old your SUV is. They are not going to warranty an old car that has already been exposed to years of use. If your SUV is being re-painted I suspect it is older and may have already had some rusting issues.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

0rbis25

« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2013, 05:52:58 pm »
Excellent points, just a side point

Any drips down body panel tend to congeal and turn to a gum like substance. You want to wash that off the outside of your car

Krown does not congeal as it is a petroleum product, what might happen is that dirt sticks to the oil and in some cases the Krown product will actually loosen old rustproofing products such as wax or tar based and then it drips from drain holes, we have seen that a few times esp if the temperature is really hot!

Offline m323

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: many
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2013, 03:40:16 pm »
slybry "You were advised it would smoke and drip after application. Then you complain because it smoked and dripped.   I would doubt the neighbours will complain about drips on public street. "

I was advised AFTER the job was done. I spent 2 hrs yesterday and two bottles of CLR (specialized for oil spills) I poured it on, left it for a while, scrubbed it with a hard bristled brush then high power washed it off the driveway AND the street and after it dried. Stains are still there. So then I put this stucco that is supposed to absorb oils and grease, a dry powder like product... left it for 4 hrs, swept it all up after - STILL There! believe me MY neighbors will complain. Today is 3 days later and its STILL leaking! I can't put the vehicle on the driveway yet leaving it on the street makes it difficult for the neighbor across the street to back out.

Offline Ed Rose

• Noob
    • View Profile
  • Cars: dodge grand caravan
« Reply #275 on: October 15, 2013, 09:43:55 pm »
Aside from taking only ten minutes to complete the job the Victoria street  location in Hamilton scratched my vehicle in two different spots. When I returned to complain, the owner was extremely rude and denied it. The head office was absolutely no help. I had to pay to have damaged areas repainted. I can tell you that I have never had such bad service form any other company. Steer clear of the Victoria street location and save yourself a lot of grief. Not only did they cause damage, they sprayed the oil on the inside doors and made over-spray stains on upholstery and inside windshield. They really are the worst in the business. If you try to leave negative comments on their website, the comments are never posted. They moderate the site and only allow what they want you to see. This location leaves a lot to be desired.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #276 on: October 15, 2013, 09:58:45 pm »
 :notroll:

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #277 on: October 15, 2013, 10:28:27 pm »
For me the smoking lasts ten minutes tops, it normally stops before I get home. The dripping I'll deal with considering how beneficial Krown it is to the car.  The holes they drill and then plug I don't care about either after seeing the effects of Krown after 20 some years.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2013, 01:54:41 pm »
For me the smoking lasts ten minutes tops, it normally stops before I get home. The dripping I'll deal with considering how beneficial Krown it is to the car.  The holes they drill and then plug I don't care about either after seeing the effects of Krown after 20 some years.

I once got a call from Security that the Genesis Coupe was smoking after I had it sprayed.  They thought it was going to burst into flames.  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #279 on: October 16, 2013, 02:13:26 pm »
so i took some time to read this entire thread from start to finish   :o

As my next car is going to be a keeper I'm very much on the fence of doing something.
When I plan to keep my cars i'm very anal about making sure I keep it clean, always spray and wash out the wheel wells.  In the winter and after driving on dirty roads (even in the summer) I get on my hands and knees and spray under the car to make sure all the crap gets off.

My 1999 Forester was the car I held onto the longest.  It was 10 years old when I got rid of it.  It was a used purchase in which I did get the Krown the first year I bought it but didn't keep it up.   It had no rust and still looked great when it was traded in.

I can't honestly argue that Krown or any other application will for sure save your car.
I do think however that keeping it clean is most likely the most important aspect of maintenance and ensuring it stays looking new.   

I can say that I feel anything the dealer offers is a cash grab.   The Forester was traded in for a new RAV 4 which I originally intented to keep.   I opted for the dealer spray which cost $500 and came with a "lifetime warranty"    The warranty is what sold me.  However, what was NOT explained at the time is that the vehicle did require annual inspections.  While it was no charge, it was still a PITA.   The first two years I got a notice in the mail and what the dealer also didn't warn you about, if you miss one inspection the "lifetime warranty" becomes null and void.   In the third year I got no notice and forgot.   In the forth year I realized that the dealership was now using another company.  When I asked why and what happened to the other company, I was simply told that "they're not around anymore."

Did the application help?  I didn't have the car long enough to know.  But with the idea I was buying a product for a "lifetime waranty" I know that became null and void pretty quickly.   
I'm not sure how often a dealership changes the companies they work with, but I'm thinking at least Krown has been around for a very long time.