Author Topic: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience  (Read 493545 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2009, 11:59:26 pm »
I thought the point of Krown was to get into all the panel gaps, including those inside the doors etc.  This isn't somewhere water would normally get so it should still be worth it no?

Also, should you wash the car before getting it treated or does that just coat everything in water?

Do you not use water to wash your cars??   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2009, 01:30:29 am »
Krown has 2 sprays:  T40 and T32.  One is thicker than the other.  Some dealers use only one, some both.

Take the car in dry, but clean.  Personally, I don't take it in when it's raining or if rain is forecast.  If it does rain soon after I drive another vehicle.  It's not critical though.  The point of Krown is for it to penetrate hidden seams and thus prevents rust from forming from the inside to the outside skin.  IMO, it does wash off most of the underside of the vehicle.  However, the underside is not the problem.  I try and wait a week before washing with soap and my power sprayer.

The major spots on a car are the trunk lid, rear quarter wheel wells that are reached from the trunk, front wheel wells, bottom of doors and engine compartment.  Underside: brake lines, fuel lines, electrical connectors, etc.  All these area can be done DIY at home.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:33:24 am by articsteve »

0rbis25

« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2009, 07:12:55 am »
I thought the point of Krown was to get into all the panel gaps, including those inside the doors etc.  This isn't somewhere water would normally get so it should still be worth it no?

Also, should you wash the car before getting it treated or does that just coat everything in water?

the doors fill up with water every time it rains or when there is heavy frost or condensation...hence the drain holes. as far as washing it...(and washing I guess you mean the outside?) that is your call, as a dealer my biggest concern is the amount of mud under a car/truck (seeing how we live in the boonies) for most city cars/trucks that is not a problem, if there is too  much mud we will wash the underside then Krown it

Krown has 2 sprays:  T40 and T32.  One is thicker than the other.  Some dealers use only one, some both.

right, although T-40 is the common product these days (last few years, in fact I don't think we can even spray it anymore on vehicles) as it is better in every way, Krown has been trying to phase it out, but the demand for T-32 keeps us making the stuff!...There is a difference between the 2 products, T32 is being marketed as more of a penetrant, from the Krown website:

Our most versatile product, T-32 combines some penetrating ability with an excellent lubricant / rust inhibitor.  This multi-purpose lubricant and penetrant is perfect for those who only want one product on their shelf.

An Extreme duty lubricant / rust inhibitor, T-40 provides incomparable performance over similar products.  It is safe for use on electrical connections and is used to combat corrosion on almost anything metal.  T-40 is extremely effective on everything from automotive to farm equipment to transport equipment right down to lawn mowers, snowblowers, barbecues and even hand tools.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:24:51 am by 0rbis25 »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2009, 08:35:33 am »
Which Krown product (T32 or T40) washes off the driveway easier or in other words "is easier to wash off"?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

0rbis25

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2009, 12:24:18 pm »
Which Krown product (T32 or T40) washes off the driveway easier or in other words "is easier to wash off"?
Railton

Hmm I would say about the same.:)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2009, 02:07:39 pm »

Which means you can't wash it off?  Cause I've tried.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2009, 02:22:43 pm »
Railton

Your response is similar to the other krown dealer. Related?
Railton

0rbis25

« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2009, 05:37:58 pm »

What did you try with?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2009, 06:01:41 pm »

My Krown application came off the driveway with a power sprayer. You're welcome to borrow it anytime Top Gun.
Railton

KBA

« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2009, 06:33:39 pm »
Hi guys!

as far as the Krown being affected by rain...it is not...however that being said our cars do sit with painted side up!...exposing very little of the underside to rain...not too many chemicals will last when exposed to outside weather without shelter.

So what you're saying is, don't drive when the roads are wet and the bottom of our cars will be fine?
So no driving when it's raining and especially more so when there's snow and then eventually slush?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2009, 06:49:55 pm »
I read an article that said Rust Check has never had a warranty claim in millions of applications..  Not sure if it's true (sounds impossible)...but their warranty is a lifetime warranty.  Maybe check into them a bit more? 

http://www.rustcheck.com/

Maybe this is what Railton is looking for, specifically the undercarriage??

Rust Check Coat & Protect provides the required protection for exposed areas of your vehicle's undercarriage. Coat & Protect is formulated as a premium undercarriage treatment that forms adherent and wash resistant, but non-drying and self-healing protective films that will not crack or peel. Coat & Protect also provides excellent undercarriage appearance, and lubricates as it protects
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:55:34 pm by rrocket »

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2009, 08:15:49 pm »
I used to use Krown rustproofing when I owned vehicles vulnerable to rust (1979 Chev full size station wagon, 1991 Pathfinder).  I had them done every two years.  Basically I found this did not halt rust completely, but was 80-90% effective.

I found that if you drive on dusty roads much, as we did, the dust cakes into the Krown layer, which then separates from the metal as a separate layer, allowing moisture and then rust underneath.  I had gas tanks and even gas lines rust out despite the treatments.  The Pathfinder still suffered from the typical rust areas they have - just not as badly.

The stuff dripped off for days, so I'd park on the street instead of the driveway or in the garage.  Making the problem a public one, not mine:-)  But replacing rusty cars has environmental costs also.

Overspray on window guides was always a problem.  It made the engine compartments such a mess that mechanics hated to work on them.  Rubber components would swell, but did not seem to suffer early failure due to the treatments.  The rustproofing did work as sort of an anti-noise treatment.

All in all, the treatments were vastly cheaper than the rust repairs that would have been needed otherwise.  I'm just very glad that I now own cars that are almost invulnerable to rust.  One of them is a 1990 Dodge Spirit, on which I just replaced the original muffler, and still has the original pipes.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2009, 09:22:03 pm »
Hi guys!

as far as the Krown being affected by rain...it is not...however that being said our cars do sit with painted side up!...exposing very little of the underside to rain...not too many chemicals will last when exposed to outside weather without shelter.

So what you're saying is, don't drive when the roads are wet and the bottom of our cars will be fine?
So no driving when it's raining and especially more so when there's snow and then eventually slush?

I ran over a puddle once and it instantly stripped every ounce of Krown and from the underside of the car....

Seriously, it's not a permenant coating, so it will wear/wash off eventually.  That's why you re-do it each year.   Car wax doesn't last forever either, neither does armor-all, sun-screen, aftershave, or deodorant.

Power washing can strip paint, so it will certainly remove Krown...   If you sandblast your underside with water once a week, sure it will remove the stuff quicker.  In my experience, rust does not start in the wide-open areas, but in the nooks and crannies that catch dirt and moisture.   Filling those nooks and crannies with Krown should reduce/eliminate the amount of dirt and water that gets in there.  

0rbis25

« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2009, 09:56:30 pm »
I ran over a puddle once and it instantly stripped every ounce of Krown and from the underside of the car..../quote]

ha

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2009, 10:08:54 pm »
My concern here is that if Krown washes of the driveway in a couple fo weeks then how long will it last on the car if it goes through car washes once a week (or more often as in some of our situations)?

Care to check out my 10 year old Honda CR-V and try to find any rust on the body?

Don't go to a car wash that sprays the underside of your car. Furthermore, washing a car only accelerates the rusting process if there is salt anywhere.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2009, 10:18:32 pm »
My concern here is that if Krown washes of the driveway in a couple fo weeks then how long will it last on the car if it goes through car washes once a week (or more often as in some of our situations)?

Care to check out my 10 year old Honda CR-V and try to find any rust on the body?

Don't go to a car wash that sprays the underside of your car. Furthermore, washing a car only accelerates the rusting process if there is salt anywhere.

So it you're car is coated top to bottom with salt..and you wash it off, you're accelerating the process??   ???

KBA

« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2009, 02:15:27 am »
Hi guys!

I ran over a puddle once and it instantly stripped every ounce of Krown and from the underside of the car....

Seriously, it's not a permenant coating, so it will wear/wash off eventually.  That's why you re-do it each year.   Car wax doesn't last forever either, neither does armor-all, sun-screen, aftershave, or deodorant.

Power washing can strip paint, so it will certainly remove Krown...   If you sandblast your underside with water once a week, sure it will remove the stuff quicker.  In my experience, rust does not start in the wide-open areas, but in the nooks and crannies that catch dirt and moisture.   Filling those nooks and crannies with Krown should reduce/eliminate the amount of dirt and water that gets in there.  

No need to be a smartass about it, Orbis made it seem as though it was almost impossible for rain (aka - water) to get at their spray -> "exposing very little of the underside to rain"
When really, it's exposed to water either through snow (when it melts) or water on the ground after it rains.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2009, 08:39:46 am »

You're kidding right? :rofl2:

As the car wash I use has a underbody wash as well as a "rustite application" (whatever that is) I'll look to see if I can "de-select" the underbody wash portion with the next use. Regardless of the rust proofing company used I'm sure that the this underbody spray contributes to stripping away the rust proofing little by little.
Railton

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2009, 10:43:59 am »
I found that if you drive on dusty roads much, as we did, the dust cakes into the Krown layer, which then separates from the metal as a separate layer, allowing moisture and then rust underneath. 

A cousin of my inlaws is manager of a body repair shop.  As a side business, he applies rust protection for friends and family members.  He actually suggests driving down a dusty road soon after application of rust protectant.  Hmmm...

KBA

« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:52 pm »
I found that if you drive on dusty roads much, as we did, the dust cakes into the Krown layer, which then separates from the metal as a separate layer, allowing moisture and then rust underneath. 

A cousin of my inlaws is manager of a body repair shop.  As a side business, he applies rust protection for friends and family members.  He actually suggests driving down a dusty road soon after application of rust protectant.  Hmmm...

Sounds logical, allow the dirt to build to get stuck to the oil and create a layer.