Author Topic: 2006 Pontiac Pursuit GT  (Read 34962 times)

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
Re: 2006 Pontiac Pursuit GT
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 01:36:32 pm »
The base DX is about $800 more than the base Pursuit

Actually, the Civic DX is $1020 more than the base Pursuit, and freight+PDI on the Civic is another $180 more.  With tax in BC, the difference is $1368, and that's before negotiation.  The difference gets larger as you move up to the better equipped vehicles.  Financing is also cheaper on the Pursuit.  I could imagine someone saving $5000-6000 on a decent model of the Pursuit once you factor in deals and financing and opportunity costs.  That's a sizable chunk of change, but if you don't intend to keep it for a long time, resale hits you on the other end.  Leasing would be an excellent option for the Pursuit, however.

yeah, you're right, it would end up being a pretty big difference when all things considered, I was just talking MSRP.  my bad.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 01:39:10 pm »
Don't compare base cars without AC because nobody buys them.

The DXG kills a likewise equipped Pursuit and is twice the machine.

I'm going to sell my DXG is April so I'll let you know what I get for it.  If one buys a Pursuit they better plan on keeping it because they will get killed on resale.  The Pursuit will not be a quick turnover unit.

paulk

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 01:55:29 pm »
You're selling the DX-G already?  Why?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 02:09:50 pm »
'cause it's fallin' apart.   :run:

Steve's contracted Si fever.  It's not serious, but it can put a real dent in your wallet.   ;D

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 02:33:32 pm »
The Civic is more advanced, better built, longer lasting, and just as easy to maintain and operate as the Pursuit.  Plus it's also a better investment, money wise.  I still don't see any reason to buy a Pursuit over a Civic other than up front cost.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 11:28:52 pm »
You're selling the DX-G already?  Why?

I ended up with the DXG by default when my son did an emergency unload and trade of his 2002 SIR (registered to me) for the 06 DXG.  A month into the DXG he had a vision that the $400. a month payment would be better spent elsewhere.  ::)  So I took over the DXG and he took over my Saab, but just tonight he took back the DXG  so that is Ok with me because even though it is major solid driver it wasn't something I needed because I have 2 good summer cars.  The DXG  represents close to a 3K tax credit so I really was thinking of a 06 SI, but I really don't need that either and it's moot for now.  Life's brutal.  :)

robarakira

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 01:21:13 am »
I'll try not to compare it too much to the new Civic Si, but...  ;)
... ha!

Personally there is no way I would end up at a GM dealership over Honda's.  The Mustang / SRT-4, maybe though.   But I'm glad you've found an alternative!  As said, re-sale values for the Pontiac can plummit.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 05:52:43 am »
Pontiac Pursuit GT ... meh! :shake: ... Honda Civic DXG ... beuh  :shuffle:

Must something out there that's reasonnably reliable and looks good?
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 06:13:08 pm »
As said, re-sale values for the Pontiac can plummit.

Two years and a good car broker later...  ;)

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 09:07:49 pm »
As said, re-sale values for the Pontiac can plummit.

Two years and a good car broker later...  ;)

And 1 uninformed car buyer...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 01:29:02 am »
I'll thank you not to talk to me about "uninformed" car buying.  I know full well the difference in quality et al. between Honda and Pontiac.  But when the price disrepency is this big, the Pontiac becomes a very likeable alternative.

The Civic Si is $31 372 with delivery and tax.
The Pursuit GT is $26 943 with delivery and tax.

That's $4400 in savings right there - never mind the thousands that will be saved thanks to GM's low interest rates.  Honda is leasing at 8%, financing at 7%.  GM's website isn't very friendly, but IIRC they're leasing at 1.5%, financing at 5%.

Granted, the Honda will hold onto its value and is certainly worth the extra money.  But I'm talking about buying used.  In two years, chances are you'll see used Civics asking $22 000.  What will a used Pursuit GT be asking?  I'm guessing closer to $17 000, if that.

Yes, the Civic is a better car.  But for a lot of people, money is the bottom line, and the Pursuit offers a similar level of enjoyment for a lot less money.  IMO, blindly citing the Civic as the better vehicle is uninformed.  I've driven both, and for the money, the Pursuit GT is one helluva car.

robarakira

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 01:58:27 am »
American cars a often plagued by poor resale values, but that doesn't make them bad cars.

There is a huge difference between unknowingly paying full price on a new Cavalier, for example, then selling a few years later at a huge loss,

VS

smartly waiting to buy that Cavalier you've had your eye on at a huge discount!

And for me, the lone, new Civic, sans trade or extras was $30 grand even, outright. :)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2006, 02:29:17 am »
There is a huge difference between unknowingly paying full price on a new Cavalier, for example, then selling a few years later at a huge loss,

VS

smartly waiting to buy that Cavalier you've had your eye on at a huge discount!

Precisely.  If I could get a two-three year old Pursuit GT in good shape for $16 000, I would seriously consider it.  Likewise, if I could get an 02 SiR hatch for $15 000, I would seriously consider it.

Thing is, the Honda aint gonna happen.  Two-three years from now...  that Pursuit is a very possible scenario.  Sure, I'd rather have the Si, but beggers can't be chosers, can we?

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2006, 09:41:39 am »
IMO, blindly citing the Civic as the better vehicle is uninformed.  I've driven both, and for the money, the Pursuit GT is one helluva car.

You've driven both?  I've OWNED both Civics and Sunfires, I can 100% say that Honda builds better cars than Pontiac, but hey, it's your money...  Pay now or pay later...  You get what you pay for.  If you have to justify to all of us that a Pursuit is a better deal than the Civic, then that alone tells me the Civic is a no brainer...

Blindy citing the Civic as better??  Stevie Wonder could tell you the Civic is better...

And like I've said earlier, I still see no reason buying a Pursuit over a Civic other than cheaper price...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 09:50:20 am by footlong58 »

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 09:53:50 am »
IMO, blindly citing the Civic as the better vehicle is uninformed.  I've driven both, and for the money, the Pursuit GT is one helluva car.

You've driven both?  I've OWNED both Civics and Sunfires, I can 100% say that Honda builds better cars than Pontiac, but hey, it's your money...  Pay now or pay later...  You get what you pay for.  If you have to justify to all of us that a Pursuit is a better deal than the Civic, then that alone tells me the Civic is a no brainer...

Blindy citing the Civic as better??  Stevie Wonder could tell you the Civic is better...

And like I've said earlier, I still see no reason buying a Pursuit over a Civic other than cheaper price...

The Pursuit is lightyears ahead of the Sunfire and is a completely different car so you can't really apply the ownership experience of the Sunfire to the Pursuit.

Panzer

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 10:07:15 am »
 :iagree:

On a different note, if $24K is the Pursuit GT's price, check out the base Impreza:  you get as much stuff if not more, for $500 less.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2006, 10:10:36 am »

On a different note, if $24K is the Pursuit GT's price, check out the base Impreza:  you get as much stuff if not more, for $500 less.

And AWD!!!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2006, 02:03:17 pm »
You've driven both?  I've OWNED both Civics and Sunfires, I can 100% say that Honda builds better cars than Pontiac, but hey, it's your money...

You've owned a Sunfire.  Good for you.  The Sunfire was and is a piece of crap.  The Pursuit is miles ahead of the Sunfire in every category - there's no comparison.  The Pursuit is a good car in its own right.

If you have to justify to all of us that a Pursuit is a better deal than the Civic, then that alone tells me the Civic is a no brainer...

That's faulty logic...  because the Civic is more expensive its a better car?  The Civic is more expensive because it offers more: higher horsepower, 6 speeds, LSD, sunroof...  for what you pay, the Pursuit delivers admirably.  Yes, I've no doubt that the Civic is more reliable et al., but that does not make the Pursuit a bad car.  And it's less expensive.

No reason to buy a Pursuit over a Civic save price?  If price isn't a factor, why are we even talking about Civics and Pursuits?  If price isn't a factor, I'll take the Mercedes.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2006, 05:32:21 pm »

Comparing to Cobalt/Pursuit to the Cavalier/Sunfire is really unfair. The older Cavalier/Sunfire were essentially 20 year old platforms with a lot of bandaids over the years. The Cobalt/Pursuit however are new designs with a lot of care put into them. I am actually recomending them to be test driven and considered by friends and family members when looking for compact cars. I never did that with the old Cavalier/Sunbird/Sunfire cars.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2006, 08:09:37 pm »
Sorry guys, the Cobalt/Pursuit isn't the Miracle car to put GM on the small car map...  Yes, it's better than the Sunfire/Cavalier of days past, BUT it's still a far far far far ways from besting the Civic in anything really, other than price.  So yeah, it is cheaper than a Civic...  If it was an equal car AND cheaper, then I'd say GM was on to something...  But it's a lesser car for cheaper, and really, that's just common sense...