Author Topic: 2006 Pontiac Pursuit GT  (Read 34958 times)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
2006 Pontiac Pursuit GT
« on: January 26, 2006, 09:43:24 pm »
To kill time today, I decided it would be a good idea to go down to the local Pontiac dealer and take a look at the Pursuit coupe...  woops.  I wasn't expecting a lot - I'm an avid hater of the Sunfire, and I had this conception of GM in general as a "meh" producer with nothing to interest me.

Well, the Pursuit GT interests me.  I'll try not to compare it too much to the new Civic Si, but...  ;)

Anyway, first off: looks are subjective, of course, but I really like the look of his car.  The Sunfire imo was ugly as sin, but the new car is a nice looking vehicle, if a little generic (especially compared to the Civic, ahem).  The spoiler on the GT is very tasteful and not over the top, and the wheels are okay.  As a note, the steel wheels and hubcaps on the lower trims levels are VERY tacky - when you can see most of the steel wheel, why bother with hubcaps at all?

The GT model lists at about $24 000, and for that you get a 2.4L Ecotec four banger rated at 170hp, and a decent equipment setup including sunroof, power everything, keyless entry, remote truck release, and a seven speaker Pioneer audio system with subwoofer.  Here I should mention that this system kicks the :censor: out of the setup in the Si.  The mirrors, a la European cars, fold in for tight parking spots.  That said, the mirrors don't seem to suit the car terribly well...  but now I'm being picky.

The engine runs very smoothly and it offers good pull for a four banger, with some noticable torque steer, but without limited-slip dif that's acceptable as part of buying a FWD car, imo.  The engine is rated at 170hp, but it seems as capable as the 197hp engine in the Civic, probably because its a bigger displacement.  I would certainly say the Si motor is smoother and a more "fun" engine with its 8200 RPM redline, but the Pursuit's motor pulls it with authority.  The shifter is a pretty standard short-throw five speed, but it fit nicely in my hand and was easy to use.  The pedals were all fine too, with a nice dead pedal for your left foot.

The steering wheel was leather wrapped (:)) and a good size, and the steering was fairly solid.  Probably on par with the Civic, I would say.  The car is very easy to control, and I was able to get it back into its parking slot on the lot without too much trouble - if you know those lots, the parking is a bit iffy, but the Pursuit handles very nicely and I felt very comfortable with it.

Road noise was actually less than in the Si, and overall the ride was probably as comfortable, if not a little bit more so.  I think the Si has more "sport" to it than the Pursuit, but I enjoyed driving the Pontiac nonetheless.

The interior I found attractive - it's plasticy, as all entry level cars will be, but its well designed and easy to control everything, and looks well put together.  A nice feature was that the centre armrest folds down to cover the e-brake, giving you the best of both worlds (handbrake and a console).  Very good idea, one wonders why I've never seen it done.  :D

The seats are comfortable and held me in place while cornering, and they didn't get uncomfortable on the rather lengthy test drive, and finding a decent sitting position was easy.  The wheel tilts but does not telescope.

The gauge cluster was acceptable, but I'm not crazy about it.  It might have been how I was sitting, but to see the tach and speedo took a little more effort than I would have liked.  Acceptable, and probably something to get used to, but first impression wasn't great.

The rear seats I didn't sit in, but I expect they're small - this is a coupe, not a sedan, and you don't buy it if you plan on having people back there often.  There's a Pursuit sedan for those people.  :)  They are a 50/50 split fold, though, so trunk space (decent already) is further expandable.

Overall, I was very impressed with this car...  I was actually shocked by how impressed I came away.  I would actually say this was a more enjoyable car to drive than the Si!  I'd have to drive both back to back before I could comment further...  but for thousands less, the Pontiac Pursuit GT is definately a solid alternative to the Civic Si.  It has less horsepower and no LSD, but with a bigger displacement motor it gets up and goes just as well, and it takes the corners with as much grace as the Honda.

This is a car I could see myself owning one day...  if the Honda doesn't pan out.  ;) :D

fallingeese

Re: 2006 Pontiac Pursuit GT
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 11:20:16 pm »
I don't see too many of them on the roads. There are more Cobalts, but I guess an extra production year will help that.

There was an interesting article in one of the automobile magazines a couple of months ago comparing the Cobalt SS Supercharged, WRX, and Civic Si. The winner was the Civic SI, but it gave kudos to the appeal of the SS Supercharged.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 11:27:11 pm »
I haven't tried the SSS, but it did catch me eye when it came out.  205hp is nothing to scoff at (though I still think the Si's 197 without a super or turbo is more impressive).  But if its anything like the Pursuit, then it would be a pretty cool car, I guess.

For a lot less money (once you factor in interest rates), the Pursuit/Cobalt is a very attractive alternative to the Civic...

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 08:59:43 am »
I test drove the Pursuit sedan about a year ago when it came out and was completely blown away by it.  To quantify that, the Crapfire was not a solid car or good driver and the Pursuit is 1000% improvement.

It was quiet, solid, wicked stereo (the model had the same setup as the coupe you tested), solid steering and good brakes.  Had the trunk opening not been too small for all the baby stuff we needed to lug around it was our first choice for a 2nd car.

I do think the coupe needs a little extra flash tho, it is kinda plain in base form.  Bring back the cladding!  not.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

JD

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 11:13:35 am »
I haven't tried the SSS, but it did catch me eye when it came out.  205hp is nothing to scoff at (though I still think the Si's 197 without a super or turbo is more impressive).  But if its anything like the Pursuit, then it would be a pretty cool car, I guess.

For a lot less money (once you factor in interest rates), the Pursuit/Cobalt is a very attractive alternative to the Civic...

I suggest you compare the dyno sheets of the SI vs. SS vs. SS Supercharged....  Both SS's are fast 0-60 then the Civic, due to torque and lower RPM avaialbility of HP. 

Of course, there is something to be said for the fun of 8000+ RPM  ;D

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 01:11:18 am »
The Ecotec is a great little engine, and the Pursuit GT is a blast to drive.  I'll bet the Cobalt Supercharged is a great drive, too.  But nothing compares to a screaming VTEC turning 8000 times a minute.  :D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 01:44:22 am by Demosthenes X »

mdxtasy

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 01:17:50 am »
But nothing compares to a screaming VTEC turning 8000 times a second.  :D

RPM - revolutions per minute.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 01:44:42 am »
I don't know what you're talking about...  :D

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 06:37:37 pm »
Glad to see that the Pursuit/Cobalt is finally getting some recognition as a solid entry in the compact segment. I think the four door Pursuit GT is an interesting alternative to the Mazda 3 with the 2.3L engine. Just like earlier American cars they have a tendency to have a bit more torque and displacement than their competition. The Opels I have driven in Europe felt pretty strong with their Ecotec engines.

Offline infinitime

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 08:31:42 pm »
I've been looking at the Cobalt/Pursuit recently, as we are in the market to replace the Corolla once the lease is up (we will most likely buy out the Corolla, then resell it, as the buy-out is about $2,000 below prevaling used car prices).  We are looking at the base model however, and would appreciate any comments that my fellow forum-members can offer.  I am drawn to the Cobalt not because I am a big fan, but because it seems to be a decent car for a decent price, particularly when I factor in the $1,500 GM points I've saved, which translates to about a 10% saving off the MSRP on the base car! 

My familiarity with GM cars are limited, except for the Toyota-clone Vibe that I drive, but here's my list of pro's and con's for the base Cobalt/Pursuit (with automatic):

Pros:
1) Solid structure and very good crashtest ratings;
2) Decent fuel econmy and MUCH nicer interior (seats, dash, steering wheel, shifter) than the Cavalier;
3) Price;
4) near bullet-proof, proven Hydramatic auto transmission (GM makes the best auto trannies!)
5) I LIKE the plain-Jane styling; and
6) Good financing rates

Cons:
1) No overdrive button?!?! (the Corolla has one!);
2) Driving dynamics not as sharp as Focus, Mazda3, or even a Corolla;
3) Eco-tec engine is still relatively new, and past experience suggests that GM 4-cylinders need to undergo several rounds of "revisions" before all the glitches are worked out;
4) Rear drum brakes??! (the Optra has 4 wheel disc brakes, but that seems to be the only thing going for it)
5) Rear headroom not too impressive;
6) Rear seat rake angle too steep, insufficient leg room, makes it uncomfortable for rear passengers;
7) Resale value is likely to be quite disappointing;
8) Will GM be around in 5 years?

So those are my initial thoughts, anyone want to chime in with their comments?

Cheers,
Derek

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 10:39:43 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about GM - I don't think they're down and out quite yet.  Resale value will not be as good as a Corolla or Civic, but if you're worried about GM being around in 5 years it sounds like you'll be keeping this car a while anyway?  The Pursuit coupe was very nice to drive, not sure how the sedan base will compare, but presumably good as well.  If you're financing, a similarly priced Civic or Corolla will be a lot more expensive in the longrun...  iirc, 7% for the Civic vs. 4% for the Pursuit?

And I love Hondas, so recomending a Pontiac is weird for me...  :D

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 10:47:28 am »
I truly can't see ANY advantage of buying a Pursuit over a Civic, other than the cheap price...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 12:43:32 pm »
Price is a big factor for a lot of people.  Take that out of the equation, and its the same old argument as to personal taste/needs/et al.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 01:13:53 pm »
I truly can't see ANY advantage of buying a Pursuit over a Civic, other than the cheap price...

DXG Civic and Pursuit with same basic equipment; ac, pwr windows, locks, remote, good stereo, etc. are essentially the same list price.

Of course negotiated price and financing will be lower on the Pursuit I think it would be fair to say.  However, resale will be horrible in comparison to DXG.  Plus there are the issues of technology and quality.

BTW, if ppl are going to make statements about which car is faster, etc.; lets see some references. ::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 01:15:24 pm by articsteve »

Offline infinitime

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 01:14:21 pm »
Yes, price is a major consideration for many people, including me!  While I don't dispute the fact that the Civic is a nice vehicle, I don't agree that it is heads-and-shoulders about the rest.  There are aspects of the car which are undoubtedly superior, but there are also elements which make it less so.  For example, some drivers simply prefer to have more lower end torque, and prefer not having to spin their engines like mad everytime that they want to pass someone... the Civic is a more "dynamic" vehicle, and it appeals to a certain market, but i would not say that it is necessarily right for EVERYONE.  I would also say that its styling is too exciting for some, and that may not be the ticket for everyone....

With respect to the Pursuit, my concern is really over long term reliability.  I've done a quick search online for other reviews/commentaries about the Ecotec engines used in earlier GM products (Alero, base Malibu, Ion), and there is simply not enough information one way or the other to state with any degree of authority as to its future prospects.  I have heard that many of the engine parts are teflon coated, which may initially seem like a great idea, but perhaps less so when the teflon wear through in a few hundred thousand KMs, and you need to rebuild your engine.  I am not aware of any engine rebuild shops which is able to reapply teflon.  This may be a minor thing, but there are other aspects of the design which i find less than ideal.  The drop-in oil filter for example, seems like a novel idea, but one really questions its effectiveness when compared to the conventional screw-on type.  Vintage cars (i.e. 1940s) used to use a similar drop-in setup, and it was determined in the 1950s that the screw on type was more effective at filtering oil, hence the change to screw-on in the first place.  GM may have improved their design on the EcoTec, but one must wonder if this is motivated by cost saving considerations as well.

In sum, I am somewhat on the fence about the Pursuit/Cobalt.  i don't think it drives as well as the Focus, but everything seems to suggest that the Focus is a list of recalls waiting to happen (I LOVE the way the Focus drives, but really, why can't they actually put more money into the longevity components... did you know that the automatic transmission on the Focus is still derivative of the early 90s Protege automatic, which itself was known to premature failure?)

The Ion was in the running (it has the same powertrain and platform as the Pursuit/Cobalt, but is about $1000 cheaper), but I am honest enough to admit that I am vain, and cannot bear the sight of that car, with its mish-mash of curves, right-angles, and oval shapes.  In the end, the Pursuit seems like a happy compromise.

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 01:17:12 pm »
 The base DX is about $800 more than the base Pursuit and on paper the Civic beats the Pursuit out in just about every category.  Sure the Pursuit has more HP/Torque but it's also heavier.  The civic has more interior room (Pursuit has more trunk space tho), better fuel economy and more standard options and IMO looks much sharper than the Pursuit, inside and out.

Now put the Pursuit GT up against the EX and the story changes a bit.  The GT is much more competative (170 vs 140 HP, 163 vs 128 torque at roughly the same weight).

Plus, like people mentioned, you'll get a WAY better deal on a Pursuit than a Civic.

I was extremely suprised by the Pursuit but haven't driven a new Civic to compare it.

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 01:18:02 pm »

DXG Civic and Pursuit with same basic equipment; ac, pwr windows, locks, remote, good stereo, etc. are essentially the same list price.

The DX has 4 wheel disc and standard ABS tho...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 01:21:09 pm »
Yes, price is a major consideration for many people, including me!  While I don't dispute the fact that the Civic is a nice vehicle, I don't agree that it is heads-and-shoulders about the rest.  There are aspects of the car which are undoubtedly superior, but there are also elements which make it less so.  For example, some drivers simply prefer to have more lower end torque, and prefer not having to spin their engines like mad everytime that they want to pass someone... the Civic is a more "dynamic" vehicle, and it appeals to a certain market, but i would not say that it is necessarily right for EVERYONE.  I would also say that its styling is too exciting for some, and that may not be the ticket for everyone....

With respect to the Pursuit, my concern is really over long term reliability.  I've done a quick search online for other reviews/commentaries about the Ecotec engines used in earlier GM products (Alero, base Malibu, Ion), and there is simply not enough information one way or the other to state with any degree of authority as to its future prospects.  I have heard that many of the engine parts are teflon coated, which may initially seem like a great idea, but perhaps less so when the teflon wear through in a few hundred thousand KMs, and you need to rebuild your engine.  I am not aware of any engine rebuild shops which is able to reapply teflon.  This may be a minor thing, but there are other aspects of the design which i find less than ideal.  The drop-in oil filter for example, seems like a novel idea, but one really questions its effectiveness when compared to the conventional screw-on type.  Vintage cars (i.e. 1940s) used to use a similar drop-in setup, and it was determined in the 1950s that the screw on type was more effective at filtering oil, hence the change to screw-on in the first place.  GM may have improved their design on the EcoTec, but one must wonder if this is motivated by cost saving considerations as well.

In sum, I am somewhat on the fence about the Pursuit/Cobalt.  i don't think it drives as well as the Focus, but everything seems to suggest that the Focus is a list of recalls waiting to happen (I LOVE the way the Focus drives, but really, why can't they actually put more money into the longevity components... did you know that the automatic transmission on the Focus is still derivative of the early 90s Protege automatic, which itself was known to premature failure?)

The Ion was in the running (it has the same powertrain and platform as the Pursuit/Cobalt, but is about $1000 cheaper), but I am honest enough to admit that I am vain, and cannot bear the sight of that car, with its mish-mash of curves, right-angles, and oval shapes.  In the end, the Pursuit seems like a happy compromise.

For example, some drivers simply prefer to have more lower end torque, and prefer not having to spin their engines like mad everytime that they want to pass someone...

You have obviously not driven the new Honda 1.8  Its called VTEC and it allows for a driver to pull away in 3rd if necessary.  I've driven a Pursuit sedan in auto and it sucks.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 01:24:44 pm »
The DX has 4 wheel disc and standard ABS tho...

Only EX has rear disc, but the thing is the brakes are so well engineered one would not believe that they are riding on rear drums.  For the average Joe's wallet, the Honda drums are the way to go.

What the Honda does have is the head curtains standard.

The Honda EX is no deal, but the DXG is the big value unit and that is why dealers are out of stock generally on these models and why they bumped the price up almost 600 bucks January 1/06
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 01:26:41 pm by articsteve »

paulk

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 01:27:42 pm »
The base DX is about $800 more than the base Pursuit

Actually, the Civic DX is $1020 more than the base Pursuit, and freight+PDI on the Civic is another $180 more.  With tax in BC, the difference is $1368, and that's before negotiation.  The difference gets larger as you move up to the better equipped vehicles.  Financing is also cheaper on the Pursuit.  I could imagine someone saving $5000-6000 on a decent model of the Pursuit once you factor in deals and financing and opportunity costs.  That's a sizable chunk of change, but if you don't intend to keep it for a long time, resale hits you on the other end.  Leasing would be an excellent option for the Pursuit, however.