Author Topic: Audi A4 1.8T is plagued with electrical and other service problems.  (Read 4231 times)

Junkcar_Audiowner

Well all of you Audi service techs. must be pretty pissed off right now huh!

Read the facts here...yourself!!

full article here from Globe and Mail November 25, 2005

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051124.wxwhaudi24/BNStory/specialGlobeAuto/

Quote:"Another major issue in North America is quality. In the most recent 2005 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study of owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of ownership, Audi ranked No. 8, an improvement of three spots over 2004, but still far behind Lexus, the No. 1 quality brand.

More troubling, in Power's Vehicle Dependability Study -- which measures owner-reported problems in three-year-old vehicles -- Audi ranks near the bottom of the pack. In fact, at 312 problems per 100 vehicles, Audi ranks just ahead of Daewoo, a true budget brand.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Audi A4 1.8T is plagued with electrical and other service problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 10:32:28 am »
And everybody wonders why Japanese sales are up. Germany needs to start designing reliability into cars as well as style and ergonomics. Good thing people have more money than brains when looking for snob Factor. Soon it will be fashionable to be rich and smart and. Lexus must be rubbing their hands with this news. Beauty is only skin deep.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 11:13:50 am »
I think that article was super positive. Not bad news at all. It's about time too!
 ;D
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 11:23:44 am »
Yeah Snowie seems like Lexus is the NEW...Umm ..what...err..TOYODA!! yeah THAT"S RIGHT :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

tgr_clw

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 01:18:56 pm »
I've had a 1997 Camry and it's still running like a champ. The only thing that was wrong was a leaky oil sensor. $100 later (at the dealer) it was fixed.

However, I'm not sure of the reliability of the newer Toyota/Honda vehicles. Cases in point:

A friend of mine had a 2001 Acura EL. He stated numerous times that after about 60k it just started falling apart on him (don't have any details). Another person I know bought a brand new fully loaded 2002 Honda Accord. His tranny blew not once, but twice. The car now has about 80K on it and he is seriously thinking about getting rid of it. Another friend tracks his car regularly and told me a story of a 2001 Integra Type R's engine blowing up on the track. The car was completely stock (Yeah, I know, tracking the car is bad for the engine, but keep in mind that the Type R was basically built for this). My dad's one year old RX330 had the brakes (rotors/pads) replaced at 15k (he is not an agressive driver), the one of the adaptive headlights does not work anymore and the dash board has an extremely annoying rattle.

I've read somewhere that during the last couple of years, Japanese manufacturers have seen their sales skyrocket, however because the demand grew so quickly and productions numbers were higher than before, they just do not have the time to make the each vehicle as reliable as they were before.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 04:47:02 pm »
The 2001 Sienna I had and our current 2001 Honda Civic have been the epitomy of reliability. Same for my parent's 2003 Civic. I would gladly spend a premium on VW if they had better quality. After our 1993 Jetta and all its problems I never plan to get a VW again. If they can make drastic improvements in quality then we'll talk. In Zoo's book:

Worst to best reliability:
VW/Dawoo GM products
so called big three
Hyundai/Kia
Nissan/Mazda/Suzuki
Honda/Toyota

Nothing I've seen, heard, or experiences leads me to think otherwise.