Author Topic: 20-25K used cars  (Read 19454 times)

davidm

Re: 20-25K used cars
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2005, 01:04:20 pm »
Just saw your video and read the winter weekend review - excellent work James.

That interior is pretty nasty looking and I hate wood trim (personal thing), but sounds like a great drive.  Maybe it's the revese of being a brand snob, but I just can't picture my 33 year old ass in a Caddy (unless it is some classic convertible and I'm cruising in the US).

As a second vehicle, I think I would go TSX (loved the shifter, and interior) and remember that I own a real sports car for the good days.   For me, with only 1 car to satisfy both needs, I think I'm stuck with the bimmers or now the G35 and IS line (I kinda like the old 300 myself) - that is unless I were to succumb to the AWD turbo darkside (can't wait to see how the Legacy GT used market shapes up).  My problem is the 2004-5 330i ZHP's will be calling my name around the same time.

I'm going to have to try a CTS 'cause I want to be open.  I just don't think my heart would be into it, but I should give it a try.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2005, 12:20:28 pm »
Geez, I sure missed a lot of excitement here.  A few more observations from yours truly about some of the cars mentioned earlier:

I spent a lot of time lately driving around in a new Mazda3 GT (2.3L) and was really very impressed with how good a car this is for the money!  Wonderful, linear power, very quiet for this class of car and it cruises beautifully on the highway at 130 km/h + like any German car I've ever driven.  The handling was every bit as good as the last Jetta 1.8T's I'd driven and certainly the shifter / clutch feeling is better (more linear).  I would suggest the Mazda3 GT is every bit the (ahem) "sport sedan" that the previous gen Jetta is (haven't driven the new one yet). 

When I had my BMW a few years ago, I would get the occasional 320i loaner car when mine would be in for service.  Without a sport pkg and its considering its power deficiencies, it was about as exciting to drive as my mom's '97 Accord at the time.  Yawn.  All BMWs are not necessarily true sport sedans.

The term sport sedan is thrown around more as a marketing term than anything these days.  I drove and really liked the Acura TSX, but I would not call it a proper sport sedan.  It is fairly nimble, but it's certainly more a value luxury car than a true sporting machine (despite what Car and Driver's 10 Best list says).  I would never sneer at someone who chooses one, because they are a reliable, solid and sound machine, but I found it fairly boring to drive.  Likewise, my previous Audi A4 with its "sport suspension" could be classified as a sport sedan... though the boring drive was one of the reasons I missed my BMW so much. 

A car with a lot of power and slightly inferior handling (ie. the Altima 3.5 SE) is a more exciting vehicle to drive than a lot of these 'sport sedans' since the handling 'benefits' of the so-called sport sedans are so minimal versus a well-equipped family sedan that the differences are barely perceptible.  The gobs of power from the 3.5L VQ-series engine, however, is instantly noticable and makes the car feel much racier than its practicality might suggest. 

An e36 M3 Sedan is a sport sedan.  An Audi S4 is a sport sedan.  A Subaru WRX is a sport sedan.  Each is a car you could take right out of the box, put it on the track and not be embarassed by lack of power or hideous understeering.  Hell even an e46 330i with a sport pkg, fits my mind's eye definition of a sports sedan.  Anyone who hasn't driven one, probably wouldn't understand either.  Lots of smooth power, good handling, braking, and lots of snarly noise from the I-6. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

sunbird659

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2005, 08:57:00 pm »
$20-25K gives you alot of choices for used cars. If you go to the higher end of your range you could get your self a Honda Accord ('03) with low mileage. Other choices might be a Mazda 6 ('04) with a 220 hp V6 engine for about $22,000. Just go out there and maybe check these cars out.