Author Topic: ABS: Good, bad, or just ugly?  (Read 14925 times)

bmirks

ABS: Good, bad, or just ugly?
« on: December 14, 2005, 12:09:34 pm »
I always hear people talking about ABS, and whether ABS makes for a safer drive or else just results in a higher maintenance cost over the lifetime of a vehicle.

Recently, the right-rear ABS wheel sensor in my 2002 Protege5 went kapoot. As a result, my ABS would trigger sometimes even on dry pavement, decreasing my stopping power. I took my car in to my local Mazda dealership for an estimate (which by the way cost me $95) and found out that to replace that sensor would cost me about $400. Ouch!

After some online research (the web is so great for this), I learned that there's a big debate over ABS, whether it even helps make (winter) driving safer than driving without ABS. I decided to pull my ABS fuse and drive without it this winter. So far, I've driven on wet roads, snowy roads, and icy roads and actually feel more in control than when my ABS was turned on.

I'm sure someone else out there will argue the other way. Let's hear it :)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: ABS: Good, bad, or just ugly?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 12:20:37 pm »
Well, it sounds like you've done the most cost-effictive solution for now.  While you may have adequate control over your car, for the vast majority of drivers, ABS is a hands-down, absolute god send for safety.  I don't think it's often you hear of problems with ABS systems (at least I don't anyway) and aside from snowy or gravel situations where when skidding the plowed-up material in front of the tires can help reduce stopping distances, for the most part, it's a no contest that ABS helps.  The added control a driver has when trying to avoid obstacles while braking with ABS is so much superior that overall I've got to say that I give a strong thumbs' up vote for ABS. 
 :thumbup:
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 12:34:57 pm »
ABS systems can be crazy expensive to fix - I rather not have them on a lower level car with the cost of repair. You're lucky a fuse fixes it.

check out Phil Bailey's comments on the matter http://www.baileycar.com/baileyblog.html (scroll down to November 25th 2005).

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 12:42:13 pm »
ABS is engineerings UGLY LITTLE SECRET...it's crap,and more to the point has been surpassed by MUCH BETTER systems...It's like the first LAP seat belts...next ta useless BUT good enuf fer the TIMES(1970's!!)..
 Get wiffit.......soon Graham (baldyman)Fletcher,of Motoring 2050!!! :P will be yappin' ON about..DSC,Yaw'll contol yerself there and NEW MUCHO BETTA Tech STUFF ta keep U BOZZO's outadaDITCH.... :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 12:46:52 pm »
The fuse has been out of my wife's Cav for about 8 months now.  No issues other than our wallets are a bit heavier from not having to replace the f'n sensors.

I believe ABS, properly implemented, does help overall in many emergency maneovre situations.  On many cars, however, the ABS system is far from reliable and not as effective as could be.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 12:52:09 pm »
Why did a TURD just crap all over MY POST!!!! :P :rofl2:...wing can ya wipe his arse....... ::)

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 01:20:53 pm »
$400?!

I had the left rear wheel sensor go on my Acura CL about a month ago. The sensor costed me $217.95 + $65 labour. So total cost was around $283 to fix mine. I also got a free estimate, but that might be because my mechanic has known me for so long and doesn't charge me for certain things like that  :D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 01:21:32 pm »
ABS systems are the best thing to happen for the majority of the people who can not brake properly in most situations. IMHO I think they are worth he expense and all cars.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 01:41:01 pm »
IM'HO yer A'HO whats the ABS suppliers payin' U......................the "thing" is past it best before DATE and is UGLY ta BOOT...bring on the new NANNYSYSTEMS.....oooh spank me mommy.......and my DTS needs changing (Directional Stupity Sense)....... :P ::) ::) :cp2:

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 01:49:50 pm »
Put me on the pro-ABS side also. In MOST cases, the benefits outweigh the negatives. Remember that all ABS systems are created equal, some are far better than others. Not meaning to pick on GM, but I think the ABS systems in Cavaliers is pretty elementary stuff; whereas the Subie ABS systems are quite a bit more advanced and effective.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 01:54:17 pm »
IIRC, GM really cut corners in order to state that every Cavalier was equipped with ABS standard.   :P

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 02:04:43 pm »
...CHARMAIN..charming how do I get rid of KLINGONS.... ::) ;).....a device that has ZERO PROOF of usefullness and yet yer ALL SOLD...can I remind U of the PET ROCK!!!??.... :-\.......the Blank book....
 Just SAY NO!!..err JUST DO IT(I'm a little confused HERE!!).....aw fack it :rofl:

mdxtasy

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 02:08:12 pm »
I am in the pro ABS.  The control that the system might be able to provide in a situation when you need to brake and steer on a slippery surface is very much a benefit.  Trying to modulate wheel spin and steering to avoid a situation in a fraction of a second is a lot of work and my opinion is that every little bit helps. 

By question to bmirks is, how the heck do you use ABS on every stopping situation?  I drive to the conditions, rarely does the ABS kick in when I'm braking.  If I know it's slippery, I slow down in advance. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 02:15:02 pm »
Hey...my POINT IS...we are well past ABS...it was arguable IF IT DID any GOOD( the Theory was BANG ON as was the Birth Control PILL..but we still have "accidents!!! :P) honest I pulled out and there SHE WAS in MY INTERSECTION!!! :rofl:).................there are MUCH better PROVEN slip and slide mechanicals OUT there NOW...so jump the Vinyl & I POD it say I...........Capice?.....

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 02:19:13 pm »
AFAIK, ABS is tied into other control sysltems like the VSC (Vehicle Skid Control), etc. ABS systems (the good ones) are not old technology, they are now part of bigger systems of control and braking.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 02:33:02 pm »
I drive to the conditions, rarely does the ABS kick in when I'm braking. If I know it's slippery, I slow down in advance.

Ditto. If my ABS comes on it usually means I was overdriving, given the conditions.

I've had ABS on all my cars since 1996, and in that time I can only think of once when the ability to brake and steer simultaneously on a slippery road saved me from a certain accident. Once was enough to convince me that ABS is a good idea, though.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 02:36:22 pm »
I “test” mine weekly to ensure functionality.  :)

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 02:38:52 pm »
Yup, I sometimes "test" it also, just like I "test" certain other things an AWD Subaru allows you to do in the snow...

mdxtasy

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 02:57:11 pm »
I always give the ABS a test in both cars....on smaller less congested side roads.  I also test the VSC and other electronic doodads in the MDX...then turn it off just for kicks.  It's a fun little thing to do. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 03:08:07 pm »
I love the ABS in my S2k, especially for auto-x as it's one less thing to think about, just slam on them brakes and SLOW DOWN, otherwise my tires would not have lasted as long.

There are different types of ABS...... so I hear, some have more sensors than others.  Some are probably more leniant than others as well.  I know that in the S2k, you can lock up your front tires just like an F1 car if you drive it hard enough on R compounds and track pads, pretty cool sight.