Author Topic: Jeff1's Vehicular History  (Read 126856 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff1's Vehicular History
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2009, 11:18:19 pm »
Now that's much better. The world is as it should be again. I'm glad for you.  ;D ;D

Now drive that puppy........... :skid:
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

vdk

« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2009, 11:20:19 pm »
I'll give it to you.. The 3 series is something else when optioned properly. Terrific car. Now, I might be getting hooked on bimmers, it's gotta have something to do with the 335 I'm driving... Again. ;D
I think I'm in love.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2009, 11:22:57 pm »
No doubt... as much as I love my car (when it's working as it should), my love would become even more blind with those twin turbos strapped to its engine!
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2009, 11:30:47 pm »
I'll give it to you.. The 3 series is something else when optioned properly. Terrific car. Now, I might be getting hooked on bimmers, it's gotta have something to do with the 335 I'm driving... Again. ;D
I think I'm in love.

And my 3 is optioned properly........... ;D ;D ;D ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2009, 11:32:46 pm »
I think I'm in love.

But beware...some may throw stones at you for having a slushbox.... ::)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 04, 2009, 11:40:27 pm »
I think I'm in love.

But beware...some may throw stones at you for having a slushbox.... ::)

But....you and I both know that it is not a "slush" box.  ;)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #246 on: November 04, 2009, 11:48:29 pm »
It's funny, Rrocket, your praise of the IS350's "slushbox" was ringing in my ears every time I drove that automatic Mazda6 the last two days.  I kept wondering if I could really live with one or if I'd get bored.  I tried using the manual shift feature on the 6, but eventually gave up in the face of the redundancy of it.  The car still feels like an automatic whether I'm moving a little lever or not. 

I've still not experienced VW/Audi's DSG, nor BMW's version of it and will stop short of chastising those who choose them until I do try it for myself.  But, I've yet to experience an automatic that really engaged me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 04, 2009, 11:53:57 pm »
It's funny, Rrocket, your praise of the IS350's "slushbox" was ringing in my ears every time I drove that automatic Mazda6 the last two days.  I kept wondering if I could really live with one or if I'd get bored.  I tried using the manual shift feature on the 6, but eventually gave up in the face of the redundancy of it.  The car still feels like an automatic whether I'm moving a little lever or not. 

I've still not experienced VW/Audi's DSG, nor BMW's version of it and will stop short of chastising those who choose them until I do try it for myself.  But, I've yet to experience an automatic that really engaged me.

Are you really comparing the IS350 tranny to a Mazda6?  No comparison IMO.  Lexus is light years better.

As far as manuals go, I prefer the manual in the IS300 to any BMW I've driven.  You said something similar when you drove the IS...though that was before you got your new car.

As I said a zillion times...It REALLY depends on the transmission and the car. (and, for some, maybe daily traffic jams might be a reason to forgo a manual)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2009, 11:56:54 pm »
No doubt... as much as I love my car (when it's working as it should), my love would become even more blind with those twin turbos strapped to its engine!

Strapping anything on will make you go blind!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 04, 2009, 11:57:53 pm »

Strapping anything on will make you go blind!

Heheh...sweet.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2009, 06:27:06 am »

Any day you want to swap cars give me a call.  8)

Glad to hear the world is back in order again.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2009, 08:56:03 am »

Are you really comparing the IS350 tranny to a Mazda6?  No comparison IMO.  Lexus is light years better.

As far as manuals go, I prefer the manual in the IS300 to any BMW I've driven.  You said something similar when you drove the IS...though that was before you got your new car.

As I said a zillion times...It REALLY depends on the transmission and the car. (and, for some, maybe daily traffic jams might be a reason to forgo a manual)

Rrocket, the IS350 transmission is closer to the Mazda6's transmission than it is to a proper manual.  But no, I wasn't comparing, as much as I was saying, I haven't experienced what those of you out there consider to be a really good auto, so until I do, I'll continue to search for one that engages and entertains me as much as a stick shift does.

And IIRC, my assessment of the entire IS300's driving experience (the first one I drove) was how remarkably similar it felt to my e36 328i.  Driving the modded one was a better experience, but mostly because I liked the way it sounded and handled better.  ;)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2009, 10:56:06 am »
GD - "I've still not experienced VW/Audi's DSG, nor BMW's version of it and will stop short of chastising those who choose them until I do try it for myself.  But, I've yet to experience an automatic that really engaged me."

If you were to drive my car with the Double Clutch Transmission you would change your tune, guaranteed.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2009, 01:09:45 pm »
..U know he wears fleece jammies...............will that cause static KLINGER............!!???....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2009, 03:13:24 pm »
GD - "I've still not experienced VW/Audi's DSG, nor BMW's version of it and will stop short of chastising those who choose them until I do try it for myself.  But, I've yet to experience an automatic that really engaged me."

If you were to drive my car with the Double Clutch Transmission you would change your tune, guaranteed.  :)

Well I'll let you know the next time I'm in Kelowna then!   ;)

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
Re: Jeff1's Vehicular History (some pics)
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2009, 11:20:10 pm »

:)

WOW!!   :o  THese are stunning pics you took of Jeff's car Bob!  And Jeff, love your 330i!  You made a great deal on the vehicle (read your story).

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #256 on: December 13, 2009, 11:20:52 pm »
Bob, are you a photographer?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #257 on: December 13, 2009, 11:31:04 pm »
Bob, are you a photographer?

When I am not doing my "real" job.  ;)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #258 on: March 20, 2011, 09:44:32 pm »
As the wheel turns...

New update to the garage.  My wife's 07 Mazda3 was approaching the end of its lease.  We wanted something with a bit more space, but have only one young child, so there's no need for an SUV or van.  For a while my wife wanted a (used) Lexus RX or something similar, until we both agreed that with her considerable daily commute and rising gas prices, it's really not necessary.

It was important to my wife that her next car be something that felt a bit more "special" (translation:  stylish, equipped with a few more goodies than her more basic Mazda3). 

I pushed for a Sonata and it was at the top of her list until test drive day.  We took one out and it's a great car -- in fact, it exceeded my expectations, but the inability to equip it with a stick shift in anything other than the basic model is what ultimately had her pass the Hyundai over.  Instead, she's chosen the last stick-shift-equipped '10 Mazda6 GT (4 cyl) that the dealership had on the lot.  It didn't hurt that the deal we got was simply too good to pass up.

Having just returned from 700+ km round trip visit to my parents' place this weekend, I've come away being pretty impressed overall.  It swallowed all of our overpacking for the weekend and provided smooth, comfortable, quiet and efficient transportation round trip (still breaking in the engine and already averaged 8.1 L/100 km with a bit of back-road fun on the way home).  My only complaints:  could use more power for sure.  It's a big car to be hauled around by a 175 hp 4-banger; and the seats could be a bit more supportive (particularly laterally -- seats are for fat north americans for sure). 

As a "family car" it provides enough handling prowess, row-your-own fun and features / styling to to make us feel good driving / owning it and enough frugality and size to be practical.  It was 100% my wife's choice and I think she made a great one.

Details:
2010 Mazda6 GT with Luxury Pkg (HIDs, Bose stereo, proximity key, blind-spot monitoring silliness, etc.).  Black on black leather.  As for pics?  Well, the weekend's travels have made it pretty dirty and I won't have time to wash it until at least the weekend, so you can see this and know that it looks exactly the same (but with a Britax child seat in the back).  :)
http://www.netcarshow.com/mazda/2009-6_us-spec/1600x1200/wallpaper_03.htm
http://www.netcarshow.com/mazda/2009-6_us-spec/1600x1200/wallpaper_2f.htm

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2011, 09:48:47 pm »
Cool, great choice! Can't wait to see it.