Author Topic: Jeff1's Vehicular History  (Read 126861 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Jeff1's Vehicular History
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2009, 07:07:27 am »
..Oh so that's U.............love the hair -Do and  orthodontics............. ;)...............last time i got slapped inna chops woz......well U doan wanna know... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 24, 2009, 10:58:51 am »
Awesome job, Bob.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2009, 10:28:30 pm »
(sigh)... Strike One.

Earlier today I had a refresher as to why I got rid of my previous BMW and Audi.  I discovered today that my driver's door wouldn't unlock.  After crawling through from the passenger side, I also found that it wouldn't even open.  Couldn't unlock it with the FOB, the key or the power door lock button.  Then I couldn't lock or unlock any other door.  Grrr...
After having to leave it unlocked in downtown Toronto all afternoon while attending meetings, I proceeded to drive to Budds in Oakville where I sat in the car inside the bay until a technician finally came and fiddled with it enough to let me escape. 

So, now it's at the dealership and I'm driving a base-model '08 Mazda6 rental with a transmission that periodically sounds like it's on the verge of catastrophic failure and steering (and wheel imbalance) that feels like the car has hit a few curbs in its 49,000 kms. 

Personally, I blame Lexus for this.  If they had just put a real transmission into the IS350 (and folding rear seats) I'd have a nice, reliable Japanese sport sedan now instead of the Bimmer.  ;)

Ah well...  such is life with a German car.  She'll be good as new tomorrow and I'll love her again.  But for now, I'm going to price out an IS350 online.    ;D  :-\
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2009, 10:36:54 pm »
From German to Japanese, say it ain't so!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:50 pm »
(sigh)... Strike One.

Earlier today I had a refresher as to why I got rid of my previous BMW and Audi.  I discovered today that my driver's door wouldn't unlock.  After crawling through from the passenger side, I also found that it wouldn't even open.  Couldn't unlock it with the FOB, the key or the power door lock button.  Then I couldn't lock or unlock any other door.  Grrr...
After having to leave it unlocked in downtown Toronto all afternoon while attending meetings, I proceeded to drive to Budds in Oakville where I sat in the car inside the bay until a technician finally came and fiddled with it enough to let me escape. 

So, now it's at the dealership and I'm driving a base-model '08 Mazda6 rental with a transmission that periodically sounds like it's on the verge of catastrophic failure and steering (and wheel imbalance) that feels like the car has hit a few curbs in its 49,000 kms. 

Personally, I blame Lexus for this.  If they had just put a real transmission into the IS350 (and folding rear seats) I'd have a nice, reliable Japanese sport sedan now instead of the Bimmer.  ;)

Ah well...  such is life with a German car.  She'll be good as new tomorrow and I'll love her again.  But for now, I'm going to price out an IS350 online.    ;D  :-\

Ugg.  Sorry about your misfortune.  I LOVE quite a few Euro cars...but one episode like this would almost be it for me!  Try and tough it out...hopefully this is an isolated incident.  Although since you've owned these cars in the past I would assume you were prepared for these little things like this?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2009, 11:07:59 pm »
German cars are second to none when equipped SANS:

AC
Power windows and locks
Power sunroof
Automatic tranny

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2009, 11:11:59 pm »
(sigh)... Strike One.

Ugg.  Sorry about your misfortune.  I LOVE quite a few Euro cars...but one episode like this would almost be it for me!  Try and tough it out...hopefully this is an isolated incident.  Although since you've owned these cars in the past I would assume you were prepared for these little things like this?

Well, my cousin's 2006 323i did the same thing. They replaced a some type of central electrical module, under warranty.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2009, 11:55:46 pm »
Achtung!

Alles non-technischen looken peepers! Das machinkontrol is nicht for gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Oderwise is easy schnappen der springenverk, blowenfus, undpoppencorken mit spitzensparken. Der machine is diggen by experten only. Is nicht fur geverken by das dumpkopfen. Das rubber necken sightseenen keepen das cotton-picken hands in das pockets. So relaxen, und vatchen das blinkenlights.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2009, 12:01:51 am »
^^Riiight.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2009, 12:28:51 am »
Have faith, Jeff, it will pass. And then, you will still be driving a fine German sedan, not some .......... other thing.  ;) ;)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Honda Owner

« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2009, 01:12:19 am »
AC
Power windows and locks
Power sunroof
Automatic tranny

And no heated seats! Ahh, German cars, the love, the hate!

vdk

« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2009, 01:32:52 am »
AC
Power windows and locks
Power sunroof
Automatic tranny

Are you guys looking for an E30?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2009, 06:52:05 am »
AC
Power windows and locks
Power sunroof
Automatic tranny

Which one does not have heated seats?

Honda Owner

« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2009, 11:53:34 am »

My point exactly.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2009, 01:02:31 pm »
Oh, of course you're right.  Tomorrow I'll be merrily driving along again.  Just thought I'd share the ongoing love-hate relationship with German cars and their electrics. 

Maybe I should've just gotten a new Mustang GT?   ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2009, 01:38:03 pm »

My point exactly.

What is your point?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2009, 01:56:00 pm »
..they have mechanical radios NOW  und......wind up windows too...as well as mechanical sunroofs and a ski mitt hand warmer in the trou could be an alternative to boiled nuts!!!

always wanted a BMW but U guys are damping my ENTHUSIASM.... >:(

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2009, 03:57:14 pm »
Oh, of course you're right.  Tomorrow I'll be merrily driving along again.  Just thought I'd share the ongoing love-hate relationship with German cars and their electrics. 

I'll be happy to trade you a 'lightly' used 2005 model.  Zero....0...nada...none....issues repaired in almost 5 years of ownership.  Regular maintenance only.

It's a win-win Jeff.  You get a reliable Ford automobile (with a lovely V8...no sissy straight 6) and I get the higher trade in of the 330i on a WRX.  Think about it.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2009, 08:38:38 pm »

I'll be happy to trade you a 'lightly' used 2005 model.  Zero....0...nada...none....issues repaired in almost 5 years of ownership.  Regular maintenance only.

It's a win-win Jeff.  You get a reliable Ford automobile (with a lovely V8...no sissy straight 6) and I get the higher trade in of the 330i on a WRX.  Think about it.

Sounds good.  Although, the Bimmer comes with an option you probably hadn't counted on:  car payments.  ;)
I'd be happy to take the paid-for-in-full Stang for the big-debt BMW.  :)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2009, 11:11:26 pm »
Update: (for those who care)....

One of the front power door locks seized.  In trying to open/close it afterward, it shorted out the locking system.  So, replacing both front actuators should have the problem solved.

The dealership was outstanding as always -- such awesome treatment there.  I've not encountered a Japanese-brand dealership that can match my experiences at Budds' for professionalism and efficiency.  For example:  when picking up my car after service at Mazda, it was usually a "that'll be $XXX please.  (pay).  Thanks, your car should be out there somewhere. (points to side lot)."  At BMW, they refer to me by name, make sure I understand what has been done to my car, have it brought out front, then walk me out to the car to ensure I'm satisfied.  Oh, and free maintenance helps the experience too.  ;)

Anyway, within about 30 seconds of getting out onto the road I remembered why I love that car.  Solid, quiet, smooth linear power... I feel more like I'm wearing it than riding in it.   Ahhhh... that's better.  You know, sometimes it's worth driving a rental just to remind you why you chose the car you did.  In this case, I just realize that a few hiccups from time to time are the price ya gotta pay for sensational driving experiences. 

So, all is forgiven and forgotten (until next time).

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.