Author Topic: Jeff1's Vehicular History  (Read 126798 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: Jeff1's Vehicular History
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2006, 11:32:27 am »
 :banghead:

My poor baby this week!  I last drove her on Thursday when coming home from the dealership.  Since the new ignition coil is on order, I thought I'd basically park her until it came in.  Since it was dark when I was getting my stuff out of the car last Thursday, I turned on the dome light to get everything I needed.  And yup, you guessed it... I left it on.  Thus, yesterday afternoon when I went to move the car to make sure it didn't get when when I washed wiffy's car, it wouldn't start.  Doh!  :bang:  15 years of driving and that's the first time I've ever drained a battery. 

Anyhoo... had the roadside assist guy come over and give it a jolt and then let it run for an hour to charge it up.  Made me sad to have to idle it for so long.  :(  Oh well... such is life.  ...and after all, it IS a lease...  ;)  I made sure to take her for a good fun run to make her feel better.  Those summer tires are drifting really nicely now in the cold weather.  I think I've got one more week left before I need to swap them off. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2006, 11:38:43 am »
I turned on the dome light to get everything I needed.  And yup, you guessed it... I left it on.  Thus, yesterday afternoon when I went to move the car to make sure it didn't get when when I washed wiffy's car, it wouldn't start.  Doh!  :bang:  15 years of driving and that's the first time I've ever drained a battery. 

That is strange.  My last and current Mazda both turn off the light(s) if they left on too long.  I have three sets of dome lights in the wagon plus the ones in the door bottoms (so you can watch yourself stepping into a puddle  ::)) and all of them will turn off after X minutes to protect the battery.  I’m surprised that yours don’t.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2006, 01:34:20 pm »
Those summer tires are drifting really nicely now in the cold weather.  I think I've got one more week left before I need to swap them off. 

I'm thinking I have the same amount of time as you.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2006, 08:32:00 pm »
:banghead:

My poor baby this week!  I last drove her on Thursday when coming home from the dealership.  Since the new ignition coil is on order, I thought I'd basically park her until it came in.  Since it was dark when I was getting my stuff out of the car last Thursday, I turned on the dome light to get everything I needed.  And yup, you guessed it... I left it on.  Thus, yesterday afternoon when I went to move the car to make sure it didn't get when when I washed wiffy's car, it wouldn't start.  Doh!  :bang:  15 years of driving and that's the first time I've ever drained a battery. 

Anyhoo... had the roadside assist guy come over and give it a jolt and then let it run for an hour to charge it up.  Made me sad to have to idle it for so long.  :(  Oh well... such is life.  ...and after all, it IS a lease...  ;)  I made sure to take her for a good fun run to make her feel better.  Those summer tires are drifting really nicely now in the cold weather.  I think I've got one more week left before I need to swap them off. 

Sorry to hear that Jeff. It's not good for the car to let it idle for an hour?

Me too, I'm hoping to have my winters in about 1.5 weeks.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2006, 09:38:53 pm »
"to compliment the Civic".......what a nice little car U are..nice legs..shame about the Fa....anyone have a paper baggie...plastic WILL DO........... ::) :P :stick:  that's a mighty IMPREZZA Wish ya have there Dwarfie :-* :run:when DID it last SNOW in Badgers Drift?.......
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:43:49 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2006, 03:01:11 pm »
Huzzah!  I've finally ordered my MazdaSpeed Springs for my car.  I've been sitting on a coupon for months and finally decided that I'm taking Friday off to do some... uhh... Christmas shopping (for me!). 

:)

I came VERY close to just getting the Eibach Prokit AND AntiRoll Kit, but decided I'd better spread it out again, lest the wife beat me with reeds for doing it all at once.  Don't really need the AntiRoll kit 'till the spring anyway.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :skid:

mdxtasy

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2006, 03:08:48 pm »
Sweeeeeet.  When do they go on the car?  Maybe in time to shovel the next snowfall?  ;)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2006, 04:49:54 pm »
 :)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2006, 05:14:11 pm »
How much of a drop are the Mazdaspeed springs?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2006, 05:48:43 pm »
Thay's TOO MUch *USSY fer thre liddle man ta Handle ....Messiah...... :-X

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2006, 07:31:56 pm »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2006, 10:56:14 am »
How much of a drop are the Mazdaspeed springs?

They ARE the Eibach ProKit reportedly (simply painted red and cost more... but don't affect Mazda warranty) so give-or-take 1.5" drop.

I've got an appt. for tomorrow -- provided the dealership gets 'em in today as promised. 

No snow as far as the forecast can see.  In fact, it won't even go below zero.  I'm tempted to throw the summer tires back on before getting the alignment done since Mazda actually offers different specs for the GX vs. GS models (16" vs. 17" rubber).

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2006, 01:01:48 pm »
That drop's going to be great on the Miata.  The Ride quality shouldn't be affected too much and it'll take car of that wheel GAP.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2006, 02:23:51 pm »
That drop's going to be great on the Miata.  The Ride quality shouldn't be affected too much and it'll take car of that wheel GAP.

Yup... 50% motivated by the aesthetics... 50% motivated by the desire to limit the body roll and hobby-horsing perched way up there on those 4x4 style springs it comes with.

By spring I'll have those thicker stab.bars on too... just in time to be bumped up a group in AutoX.   :o :'(

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2006, 03:43:11 pm »

Yup... 50% motivated by the aesthetics... 50% motivated by the desire to limit the body roll and hobby-horsing perched way up there on those 4x4 style springs it comes with.

By spring I'll have those thicker stab.bars on too... just in time to be bumped up a group in AutoX.   :o :'(

Nice!  I can't wait for the next AutoX event! 

...but...if my memory serves me correctly (which it rarely does thanks to years of poisoning my brain) you had enough trouble keeping up in the un-modded group.  Here's a tip - I found that taking short cuts (ie, going off course) helped my times a lot  :rofl:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2006, 04:54:46 pm »

Nice!  I can't wait for the next AutoX event! 

...but...if my memory serves me correctly (which it rarely does thanks to years of poisoning my brain) you had enough trouble keeping up in the un-modded group.  Here's a tip - I found that taking short cuts (ie, going off course) helped my times a lot  :rofl:

Huh ... when did you started drinking Timmie's Coffee?  :)

So who has the better car on the course?  :)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2006, 08:01:42 pm »

Great make sure you take some before and after pictures for us MX-5
owners. My car is stored away now but will probably get a suspension upgrade in the early spring. You didn't look at the mazdaspeed coilovers did you?I think the springs and sways will probably do the job.

Andrew
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2006, 11:59:24 am »
Dave, the reason I was near the bottom of the group is because I was already classed with all the modded Miatas... and mine was the only UN-modded one!!! 

Redroadster, no before and after pics.  I thought about it, but there are enough available on the miata.net anyway.  (Besides, the car is filthy rightnow).

First reports:  the differences in normal driving are very subtle.  The ride is still really good.  Some of the hobby-horsing and wallowy motions around high-speed corners have been eliminated which is exactly what I was striving for.  I swapped on the summer tires again this morning to have the alignment done properly on Monday so I'll take it for a good rip today to really see how it feels (it's sunny and warm out so I might as well).  Overall, these are the springs that SHOULD have been offered by Mazda as part of the sport package.  The drop is about 1.5" -- which is ideal and again, should have been the way it looked coming out of the showroom. 

The one downside:  my jack doesn't roll under the car anymore so I had to use the crappy little scissor jack that came with the car to swap the wheels today.  Uggh.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2006, 12:11:27 pm »
1.5" drop.........is that so ya could reach the step IN..... ;)

Seriously NOW    :D quite the LOWERING..will that be a problem on parking concrete bars,poorly designed entries to parkin' spots,car wash booths,SNOW etc??? and HOW will ya explain the LOST 1&1/2 INCHES ta WIFEY :think: :nono: :banghead:

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2006, 09:53:04 am »
Saffy, the lost ride height shouldn't be a problem.  The car is so small there's no need to come close to the concrete parking barriers and the ride height overall has still got to be at least as high as a stock Corvette.  It doesn't look "low" now... it just looks the way it should have when leaving the factory.