Author Topic: CD Article: 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire  (Read 22732 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire
« on: November 02, 2005, 10:41:47 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Used Car Review:
1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire

2003 Chevrolet CavalierRelatively inexpensive when new, the compact Chevy Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire are very attractively priced on the used car market, says Chris Chase.  Reliability has been "so-so" with "electrical and brake systems as key trouble spots" and "a long list of recalls", he says. "Ensure that all recalls..have been addressed before purchasing," he advises.    More...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: CD Article: 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:02:07 pm »
Ugly styling.  Ugly engine.  Ugly reliability.

One of my buddies has got a Sunfire and thinks it's the best thing in the world.  To each his own, but there's no hope in hell the majority of people (who know a thing or two about cars) will ever prefer a Sunfire over a Honda or Toyota...

a4_tom

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 11:13:45 pm »
Cavalier/Sunfire twin reminds me of my lowest time of my life, when I was working as a cheap courier company driver. So cheap they still haven't paid my final 2 weeks' salary and custom taxes for customers. :'( :'( >:( >:(

sterling

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 12:42:27 am »
To each his own, but there's no hope in hell the majority of people (who know a thing or two about cars) will ever prefer a Sunfire over a Honda or Toyota...

These cars appeal to those buyers that want a low purchase price above everything else. In this area, there is no used Honda or Toyota that can compete. Brand new base '05 models were recently advertised here for $10,000! Imagine what a price conscious buyer can get a 2 year old Cavalier or Sunfire for. How old of a Honda or Toyota would you have to look at to be in the $5000-$10000 range?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 06:14:06 am »
We had 3 of these car from 96 to 03.
Two of I had leased for my daughters to go to school.
One was 200km trip, the other 150 km round trip.
Both cars were not in the shop at all.
The other one had 100,000 km when I trade it in on a truck.
I also got a another for a daughrt when her Jetta died. 98 for $4000 with 48,000 km
The styling when they came out was new and edgey
For the price of the car you can not beat it

Traum

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 06:16:06 am »
You know, the car isn't that bad. I've driven a 2003 Crapilier (with the 2.2L Ecotec engine) all over Atlantic Canada and the ride was decent. The engine / transmission combo was especially nice, as the Ecotec was eager to rev and the tranny willing to quickly comply.

-Rick

mr_meow

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 09:36:28 am »
These car are so bad I'm surprise  they sold so many - the ride is the worst I have pleasure of sitting in - I driven a base model lots of time - and it feels you like sitting on the road in home made go cart - I have a friend who got done buying one from a local GM on Dundas Street London - he paid 15,000 for his used Sunfire - its a 2002 with 70,000 klicks with air con and fancy chrome wheels -  I said you joking right and already he spent over 2000 bucks fixing the things thats are not cover buy the flimsy warranty  - I have another friend who brought a base Sunfire and never had an OZ of trouble since day one he paid 11,000 with tax - he drives regular to Nth Carolina - the plasic are so cheap I cut my hand opening the door - I like the MK2 the most these MK3 Cav's and Sunfire are horrid in every way and GM should be a shamed for bring out such and horrid car with sporadic build quality.

What were they thinking when they gave this car a face lift
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 09:43:06 am by Mr Meow »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 09:41:50 am »
I think they're a tin can, but they're a roomy, peppy, low priced, easily maintainable tin can that's great for folks on a budget or just starting out.

For people with little fundage, I would recommend it.

I couldn't drive one myself, as the crash worthiness, fuel economy, and interior quality is horrendous, but that's just me.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 10:56:21 am »
Not for me, but I wouldn't knowck anyone for owning one since I don't know peoples personal preferences and their financial situations.

Look at those resale values  :-X

legaljargon

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 11:04:47 am »
Sigh,

I had the privilege of inheriting a 1996 Cavalier (that's right, it was given to me for free - and believe me, you get what you pay for).  The article refers to brake and electrical problems - and I have felt that pain.  The ABS brakes on the Cav were horrible and eventually stopped working (it defaulted to regular brakes).  Electrical problems were rampant, despite the fact that I babied the car incessantly - turn signals stopped working, headlights stopped working (or worked intermittently), and eventually the PCM got fried.  I had to re-aim my bright lights down just to have working headlights.

Bringing in the car for recall repairs was pointless - fixing it took days, and invariably some other electrical system was affected that fell outside the recall notice.  I ended up taking it to a local mechanic who said it needed a complete re-wiring.  Given the cost of the repairs and the cost of the car, I declined, and ran it until the electrical components fried.  I crunched the numbers and found out that it was costing me more per month to maintain that it would cost to finance a new Civic!

Oh, did I mention that, despite changing a noisy timing chain, the new chain broke after only 25,000km and took the engine with it?  I eventually nick-named the thing the "Money Pit".  ("Honey, I'm taking the Money Pit out to the grocery - stay by the phone in case I need a lift!)  I had to drop in a new engine - so when I shoved it off to car-Hades, it was on its second engine!

Sorry, it still angers me.  But on the good side, the tranny was good (but nosiy in shifting), and the body had very little rust on it (even though I had given up on the regular washes - who washes garbage?).

Must purge bad memories....

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 11:20:13 am »
No matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd.   :rofl:

a4_tom

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 12:12:07 pm »
Those who brought it really thought its the best thing since sliced bread. When I was working for that cheap local courier company, everyone talked like these cars outaccelerate a 430 Modena, outcorner a GT3 and outcomfort an S55. They even opened the hood and examine it like restoring a classic Ur-Quattro.  ::) ::)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 01:49:43 pm »
I think its an excelent buy for the price only...u get a good combo for an excelent price that anything in the market can beat....its the best way to drive economically!!!

davidm

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 02:36:14 pm »
My grandfather bought a 96 Cav 4-door and last year gave it to my aunt as he gave up driving.  He had put 14,000 kms on it in 8 years.  My aunt promptly traded it on a base Rav4.  She got $4000 for it.

chris

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 03:21:07 pm »
C'mon, they're not THAT bad!
Friend has one he picked up for $7k a couple years ago '97 or '98 I believe.  Sure the clutch master cyl is leaking and the interior is not really holding up that well but he's put LOTS of miles on the thing and it runs just fine. 
Now this is a guy who is NOT a car guy.  I don't know if he's ever plugged it in during winter and oil changes??? not certain they are at any regular interval.  This car lives a hard life and just keeps ticking.  Sure there have been some electrical issues but nothing catestrophic.

For the price these things are available at USED, I'm not certain you can get a better deal for an appliancemobile. 
Now, if you were to buy one of these NEW... you should probably have your head examined  ;D

legaljargon

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 05:06:18 pm »
Deep down inside I know it's not that bad a car. I used to own a 1989 Cavalier, and that thing was bullet-proof (not rust-proof though, but the engine was strong).  It's just that I wish GM would fix their issues with build-quality variations - one car on the assembly line could be built to last, the next one a pure lemon.  It's the differences in quality between the same cars that drove me nuts.  I just don't like the crapshoot (HA!).

But it's true, the Cavs are real econoboxes - and are as close to a "disposable car" as one could find.

avtoller

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 05:47:37 pm »
My ex had two of them. Quite decent engine/transmission, crappy handling (even she noticed that), and little things were always breaking/dying even though she is VERY easy on cars. The first one started getting very expensive to maintain at about 6 years and 100k. The second one was only 4 years when we separated and was still OK for the most part. Totally disposable cars as others have noted. Boring, poor handling, cheap to buy, cheap feeling, without being really cheap to own.

robarakira

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 09:40:13 pm »
Vanilla flavoured suckers, on sale, with a warranty.  But who will want your used sucker?

I'm not talking about Cavaliers or their buyers, just lolipops.

Cheap lolipops.

sterling

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 10:39:11 pm »
I think you've missed the point Rob. As has been said above, Cavaliers like used suckers are disposable.

You don't really try to sell those things do you? Gross.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 11:01:41 am »
These cars appeal to those buyers that want a low purchase price above everything else. In this area, there is no used Honda or Toyota that can compete. Brand new base '05 models were recently advertised here for $10,000! Imagine what a price conscious buyer can get a 2 year old Cavalier or Sunfire for. How old of a Honda or Toyota would you have to look at to be in the $5000-$10000 range?

Not in the same year, no...  you have to go back a couple more years (and probably drop some features) to find a Honda/Toyota for the same price.  But the import will certainly be a better car...  my buddy bought an 02 Sunfire for ~$10 000.  For that money I'd be happier in a 2000 Civic DX.  And I'm seeing 2000-2001 one Civic Sis for around $12 000 these days.