Author Topic: smart car  (Read 3620 times)

net_minder

smart car
« on: November 01, 2005, 11:02:54 pm »
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the smart cars.  I need an economical good on gar car for dirivng hour to work every day

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: smart car
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 11:32:51 pm »
People seem to like them...  they're great on gas, but other than that (imo) mostly useless.  For the money, I would rather get into a Yaris/Civic/Fit and pay a little bit more for gas, but have a capable and practical car.

Smart car is a novelty in North America, imho.  As a second (or third, or fourth...) vehicle, sure.  But as a primary mode of transportation?  No, thanks.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:00:37 am »
Would not be my choice either. Most sold around here have been to ppl with other vehicles and they are a bit of a "fad" IMO. I see several offered for resale already. Also very pricey when you can get a Yaris or a Civic for less and have more car IMO.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

avtoller

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 12:39:25 am »
There have also been significant reliability problems throughout the lifetime of the make. They have always been a money loser, and according to what I've read, warranty work is one of the main reasons for this. When they were first announced for Canada I had some interest, but I quickly lost it, especially after doing a bit of research.

robarakira

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 12:46:18 am »
All I can say is people are belligerent in thinking the Smart cars are unsafe by default.  Actually they perform well in crash tests.

avtoller

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 12:49:19 am »
All I can say is people are belligerent in thinking the Smart cars are unsafe by default.  Actually they perform well in crash tests.

Very true!  :)

mdxtasy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 12:56:27 am »

Who said they are unsafe? 

For a 1 hour commute, an 18K Civic or a 15K Yaris would do you just fine.  The savings of a couple grand over the Smart would take many years of travel to make up.  There are a lot of small economy cars out there that would suit your requirements better than the Smart.  Just because it's a lot smaller doesn't mean it's a lot more fuel efficient.   

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 12:58:53 am »

Agreed, but I still don't want one and it has nothing to do with safety.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 06:18:15 am »
I would go for a more common car than a SMART....something with more than one dealer per city outside To, MTL and Van

Civic, Yaris, Golf TDI, suzuki
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 08:58:59 am »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 09:32:37 am »
The smart IMO would not be a great car for a 1 hour commute, it's a little long.  It is fairly noisy inside.  I'd get a yaris or civic.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 09:54:13 am »
I tested one and here are my impressions based on my roughly hour-long drive...

1. Comfort.  The seats felt supportive, but only a long drive would confirm.  Ergos are good and the greenhouse is large.

2. Acceleration.  Sucks.  Forget the "auto" mode and shift it.  Even then, it's painfully slow from a standstill, but not nearly as bad at freeway speeds.  For heavy stop-and-go or freeway it would be fine.  It's the "cut and thrust" of some surface street driving where you'll have to have a thick skin.

3. Handling.  For a skinny tall car, it's got good stick.  The "low profile" (relative!) tires bite and the steering is pretty responsive.  The short (!!) wheelbase makes it pretty nimble but it's pretty stable at speed too.  Good work.

4. Storage.  Sucks.  Not much at all.

5. Safety.  The Smart has more safety features and engineering than many cars costing twice as much.  The safety aspect would be the reason to pick the Smart over other $20K-ish econo cars.

6. Long term prospects.  Not great.  MB build quality is suspect and Smart has no rep for quality, either.  The little diesel engine is supposed to be durable, but the heaped-on electronics would be worrisome.

For a commute-only car, it makes sense.  I could easily drive one on a long commute especially if most of it was on freeways/highways.  But, if you need a "real" car to haul groceries, a friend to the airport, or a couple kids to a movie, forget it.  The Yaris would be a much "smarter" choice in that case... 8)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 10:53:57 am »
I think it would make a great car for “City” driving. I would not be comfortable driving the Smart car on a highway for an extended period of time. The Smart Car appears to be aerodynamically challenged and I am concerned abbot encountering dirty air form a transport in either direction.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 11:15:40 am »
I saw a smart on the highway this past sunday and it was in the passing lane passing a lincoln town car.  :o

One of my friends father just took delivery of a smart about a 2 weeks ago. i've been in it only once as a passenger and buy, that cdi engine was a lot louder than I expected. There isn't a whole lot seperating the engine from the cabine, so it can hard hard maintaining a conversation as soon as the light turns green. Interior wise, I was impressed with how much  leg and head room there is considering its size. The intereior isn't much to look at, but I only saw it in person at night so I didn't get an overly good look. While driving it felt pretty solid. The price can creep up very easily. My buddy has the base version with like only 2 options. They've said that the fuel economy of it is slightly disapointing so far. But to be fair, they've driven it EVERYWHERE, even when they don't have to (the new car feeling we all get) so that might have something to do with it.

I'd take a yaris/fit/ or more than likely a civic though. Try it out and see if you like it.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 11:41:24 am »
I had a deposit on one for many months but in the end there was little reason to get out of my Golf TDI.

On the upside, good fuel economy (but when you're flooring it everywhere it's not as good as stated), great front interior room and airyness, fun factor with colours and just the mere sizing of it, convertible or glass roof is neat, price starts out fairly competitively for basic versions (+ much more than A/C and it gets up there, but more and more the pricing looks in-line to me), and it's very safe.

I have no quams about driving it over extended distances or on the highway. A few have been on my bumper and passed me going 130+km/h. No issues for me there.

On the downside, the interior is quite noisy. Like BB, I was very surprised how loud the interior was. More irritating and unacceptable to me was the transmission. It shifted with a huge pause as if it was a manual and some novice driver held in the clutch 4 seconds too long. Really abrupt, crude shifting. Doing it yourself helped, but not by enough. Also, options get pricey, but you can spec exactly what you like :) and quality might be suspect. Also, simple things like pouring windshield washer fluid are a pain. Also, no back seat.

Overall, unless you really love it, I'd probably stick to a new Accent, Yaris, Civic. More car, great fuel economy, a back seat, lower maintenance costs, and less question marks.

If you're really contemplating it, just drive it. If you're anything like me, that was the deciding factor.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 12:57:02 pm »
bullit, finally someone agrees with me on the noise level.  It's loud IMO and that's turn off.  I've met owners that say they don't notice it being loud, but I found it louder than my S2000 with the top down.