Author Topic: 06 Camry SE 4cyl or 06 Sonata GLS V6  (Read 11464 times)

celeair

06 Camry SE 4cyl or 06 Sonata GLS V6
« on: October 29, 2005, 11:12:25 am »
I am currently looking at purchasing (maybe lease) a 06 Camry SE 4cyl with the sport package.  However, the bang for buck factor keeps me wanting to take the Sonata.  These cars are in about the same price range, but you get Camry XLE level options with the Sonata.

Also, considering a Corolla sport with package B.  The majority of my driving will be hwy (2 pass.).  I am unsure if I go with the Camry to step it up to a V6, but its pricey with the Camry (this is why I am considering the Sonata).

Please help me decide. From the looks of all the wisdom here, I should get some persuasive/very usefull comments and advise. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 11:15:03 am by celeair »

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
Re: 06 Camry SE 4cyl or 06 Sonata GLS V6
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 11:16:44 am »
First things first. How important is power, reliability, styling etc?

celeair

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 11:43:43 am »
bullit,

Power would be luxury option for me, it would be nice to have, but the ecomony is appealing too.  Styling is important, I think the Sonata is more appealing in that sense, but I don't mind the Camry.  The reliability factor is a major factor for me.  I want the most reliable of the two, but am unsure if Hyudai has improved enough to match toyota yet.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 11:57:48 am »
Buy a base Sonata and SPLIT ALL the DIFFERENCES..................cost,luxuries,resale,reliability,lease...AND still come out ahead...yer in a Larger car than Corolla..comfort ,luxury.cost is between the two Toyotas,lease is better by far
and resale though lower is made up by up front monies....reliability is ALMOST a wash NOW ..Hyundai is onna ROLL.....most folk will think the "H" onna hood means "H"ONDA... ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 12:13:37 pm »
They are both excellent cars.  Both will be very reliable.  You won't do wrong going either way, so do what makes you happier!  Cars you like are a lot easier to pay for.  With these choices be at ease knowing you can make an emotional decision (fun!!!) and not lose.

mdxtasy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 12:21:02 pm »
You aren't going to get bang for buck when you look at Honda/Toyota.  They've built a reputation and you have ot pay for it.  The Hyundai group has drastically improved their quality and the Sonata is their first real car to seriously threaten the Accord/Camry.  The V6 will consume more fuel, but will also give you the extra power on highway passing manouvers.  I can't say what the reliability will be like but I would not hold the old Hyundai reputation to this new car.  It will be much better. 

If you want the best value for your dollar, the Hyundai will be right up there on the list.  If you want to pay for some 'ease of mind' and a tried tested and true vehicle, the Camry will have that. 

For basic transportation, the new Civic is also a fantastic car.  You mention that power is a luxury and you will only be taking 2 people on most trips.  The smaller vehicles like the Corolla and Civic will give you comfort for two and offer good styling (IMO), decent power, and fantastic economy.  It will be cheaper than either a V6 Sonata or a I4 Camry. 

In the end, you have to get what you like, but if you knew what you liked, you wouldn't be here asking the question right?  :)

Welcome to the board...

JD

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 12:25:13 pm »
I agree with what has been said before.  You can't go wrong, as Hyundai has been on a role, winning numerous quality awards.  Their Sonata won the best midsize car in initial quality. (least number of problems per car, as reported by thousands of owners).

Personally, having driven the Camry and the Sonata, as well as owning a 2003 Accord, I would, without hesitation, tell you to get the V6 model.  It's power is awesome, interiour is upscale and tightly constructed, and I found it quieter on the highway then the Camry by a considerable margin.

As for the suspension, if you like to drive through corners with any gusto (you know, occasional spirited driving), the Camry is definately not the right choice.  The Sonata strikes a good balance between comfort and handling.

Think of all the goodies you get with the Sonata, such as more airbags and and heat, 8-way power seats!

If you can accept that the V6 will consume more gas then a I4, and the trade off is worth it to you, then it's a no brainer.  If you're more concerned with fuel economy, the 4 cylinder in the Sonata has been called one of, if not the smoothest, best 4 cylinder of any production car (auto123 reviewer).

So either way I think the Sonata is the way to go.  The only arguement you're going to get against it is people who don't know that Hyundai's Sonata is very reliable (rated higher then Camry, or any other family sedan for that matter) and the resale value.  However, there is no way you will ever lose anything close to the savings you've had... In fact, if you compare the resale value of a 4cyl Camry to a V6 Sonata in a few years, I bet the V6 Sonata will have a higher resale value!  The lower resale value is offset by the higher level of trim.  You get a V6 with more options for the price of a 4cyl.

My .02

smainville

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 02:05:02 pm »
90 day initial quality surveys mean little to me,  a lot of cars can do that.  Try 72 months 160,000km with no problems, that's what my Toyota has just done for me!  I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and to me to many bells and whistles for a small price scares me.  Go spend a bit of time at www.hyundai-forums.com and see what some people have to say.  On this forum we only talk about the good reviews, the minute one has a slightly negative slant no one talks about that one.  Don't get me wrong the Sonata is not a bad car but it's not a Camry yet.  The Camry is a top seller in North America, and the #1 reason for that is "long term reliability" not short term.  My Toyota technician has over 500,000km on his Camry!!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 02:14:31 pm »
That is PAST HISTORY talkin 'like Barrie wif a small b about Hondas...GET wif the TIMES MAN......this is soon to be 2006 the year of the Hyundai..!!! ::) :P :stick:

smainville

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 04:30:53 pm »
Sorry Saf but reliability is very much about past history.  I'm not referring to the Pony, 76 Civic, or a 72 Corolla here...hello.  It is very well documented in reviews that the Sonata is not yet a Camry or Accord, what the heck I'll throw the beautiful Altima in there too. On a different note, AJAC awards are coming soon and I predict the Ford Fusion as the winner in its category, yep.   

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 05:27:39 pm »
.  It is very well documented in reviews that the Sonata is not yet a Camry or Accord, what the heck I'll throw the beautiful Altima in there too.  

Gotta link?

smainville

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 07:31:24 pm »
Sorry Saf but reliability is very much about past history.  I'm not referring to the Pony, 76 Civic, or a 72 Corolla here...hello.  It is very well documented in reviews that the Sonata is not yet a Camry or Accord, what the heck I'll throw the beautiful Altima in there too.    

Sorry I'll be more specific.  You said referring to reliability that it is well documented in reviews that the '06 Sonata is not yet a Camry or Accord.

And yes there are many good things written, look hard enough and I guess you can find a hack somewhere with something negative to say.
This Sonata doesn't float, dive, or roll very much even when you are charging hard on a mountain road. Furthermore, the Sonata corners without the excessive understeer that plagues many front-drivers.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9741&page_number=1
Credit the modern suspension, with control arms in front and a multilink layout in the rear, and gas shocks and anti-roll bars at both ends
This perception of quality is reinforced by the Sonata's clean and tasteful interior styling. The two-tone materials have that expensive, low-gloss look, and the parts that contact your hands and elbows—the upper dashboard, the door panels, and the console covers—are all squishy soft.

and the Sonata can now be mentioned in the same breath as an Accord or Camry.

Hyundai doing Toyota is a more interesting sideshow to watch with each passing year. This new Sonata really nails the impersonation with solid fits to the pieces, tight panel gaps, and a silky rush of power from a new cast-aluminum V-6. The cockpit supplies generous rear-seat space and a trunk that takes anything the skycap will give it. The act wears thinner on the road, as the Hyundai rides a bit harder and more heavily than a Camry and lacks the super-lubricated steering of an Accord. But for many, the subtle differences between the new Sonata and its competitors will be hard to discern

Back when the Sonata drove so much more crudely than its competitors, such a large price advantage could be easily dismissed. That trade-off no longer exists with this latest version.

mdxtasy

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 07:50:44 pm »
Let's not get into that same pissing match again shall we?   :-\

We all know Hyundai has made leaps and bounds of improvements in their vehicles and we know we will expect better and better as the years move on.  They are on their way of shedding the 'Pony' image of the 80's and charging hard after the Japanese leaders.....

jimmy10

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 08:24:06 pm »
No pissing match here, just a video review,thought this might be interesting for any naysayers.....and yes I know,but thats one persons thoughts,but the pros outway the cons on this car from the majority of reviewers.I also own a Honda,but there things I don't like about it also,but most I like.I now have the V6 Sonata(oops my wife has it) and I can't say enough good things about it.Saying that,the Sonata isn't your typical $40,000 to $65,000 luxury car or special sports car,but for the price its good enough for me,oops meant my wife.Now check out this video   http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/videos,view.spy?artid=49955

a4_tom

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2005, 08:45:19 pm »
Sonata GLS V6 has to be the best value of family sedan you can get anywhere else, IMO. Excellent interior materials, superb quality, poise ride/handling compromise with understated elegance.

As for Camry, the best value of the whole range is SE V6. SE has 3.3 instead of XLE's 3.0; its just just a couple of grand more than equivalently equipped SE 2.4 4-cylinder. Speaking of quality and reliability reputation, Toyota is unshaken in the auto industry. Their quality is so good that even Honda couldn't touch them.

smainville

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2005, 11:58:22 pm »
Like I said, on this forum we only talk about the good reviews, the minute one has a slightly negative slant no one talks about that one or the author doesn't know was he/she is talking about.  CD reviews rarely have something negative about a car, we talked about that just recently.

I sat in the new Fusion today and that car has left me with quite an impression, if it comes out of the gate problem/recall free Ford is going to sell tons of them.  Heck they sold tons of Focus regardless.

a4_tom

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2005, 01:25:20 am »
I sat in a Fusion today too. Its materials and quality are quite impressive for a Ford, although it still fell behind Accord, Passat/Jetta, Camry and 6. On the other hand, Lincoln Fusion twin (forgot the name :-\) feels cheap, in relative to Fusion's price tag.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2005, 06:49:55 am »
To go back to the beginning with the three choices being Camry, Corolla or Sonata - there seems to be an issue with gas mileage here - right?

If so stick with the Corolla and be done with it. But if bigger is better - then the floodgates are open and all kinds of cars could be considered. Mazda 6, Nissan Altima 2.5 and 3.5, Accord four or V6 and so on.

Look around and see what your best deal is because they are all competent cars and what you are looking for is a comfortable commute. I suspect when you do this the Sonata will still come out looking very good and if you want to save some bucks look at their four, or go six if you really want smooth - which would be my choice.

Regardless you wanted opinions and you are getting them. Enjoy the moment. ;)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2005, 02:46:51 pm »
To go back to the beginning with the three choices being Camry, Corolla or Sonata - there seems to be an issue with gas mileage here - right?

If so stick with the Corolla and be done with it.

If your even considering a Corolla then at least test drive a 06 Civic sedan with 5 speed auto.  Autoweek today refered to it as a compact luxury car and they drive like one too.  Try an EX; it's loaded and the resale, in contrast to purchase price, will be monster because the todate the public is unaware on what a major transformation the civic has undergone.

Not that these Transport Canada numbers are based on reality, but the sticker on the Civic auto is 50 mpg and the thing hauls.

Sonta 6 banger looks descent but would be lease only, IMO. ;D