Author Topic: Huge Growth in Crossover Segment Projected.  (Read 7409 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Huge Growth in Crossover Segment Projected.
« on: October 28, 2005, 12:42:06 pm »
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0510/28/C01-363980.htm

Sales of crossovers projected to grow immensely over next 5 years. GM to contribute to that growth.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: Huge Growth in Crossover Segment Projected.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 12:55:21 pm »
There's going to be so many freaking models it'll be unfathomable.

I don't think this segment will grow so-so large as they'll quickly wind up looking like minivan equivalents, but priced right they do make sense for space efficiency.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

mdxtasy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 12:58:16 pm »
Because size is similar...I have a question:

The smaller crossovers to replace the CRV, RAV4, XTrail, Tuscon...etc.  Does anybody know the improvement of fuel consumption of these crossovers when compared to the cuteutes?  Is it a big difference?

How about the larger midsize crossovers, do they get better consumption over a 6cyl midsize SUV? 

The hybrid system will help...but will we see them on SUV's as well?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 12:58:33 pm »
I think this segment will indeed grow at the expense of traditional SUV interpretations and Mini Vans. The origin of the species was the Subaru Outback which essentially is a tall wagon. The Toyota Highlander is perhaps the first and best example of merging SUV attributes on a car-based platform. Again Toyota was first with a compact version in the Matrix.

I think the biggest loser will be the Mini-Van segment as Crossovers will have all the practicality blended in with styling.

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 11:06:24 pm »
These vehicles will replace minivans, I agree, but mainly because baby boomers won't need the 7 seaters anymore as the kids leave home. The key factor in these vehicles is still, how many rows of seats does it have. No 2-row, 5-seater can really replace the 7 seat minivan for people moving.

I looked in a Buick Rendezvous when I was buying my Vibe a few months ago and was surprised that it had 3 rows/6 seats. I didn't know that before. But the back row was so close to the rear lift gate that there was virtually no storage room. It's hard to provide the 3 rows and still retain the car-like, non-minivan look anfd feel - the Rendezvous tries but gives up the storage space. I wonder why the Rendezvous isn't more successful. I also think pontiac should change the Aztec to a more conventional look, and make it a reasonable crossover choice.

I have a 97 Odyssey, Honda's small 4 door original minivan. I love it, if they still made it I'd get a new one. But when I have to get something new, I'll lean to one of the smaller crossovers. Cr-V and Rav4 appeal to me, but I love my Vibe too, and maybe I don't need anything bigger. I like the look of the new HHR, but worry about not having Japanese quality. The new Mazda5 (I think) looks interesting, like a small wagon but with 3 rows of 2 seats.

Honda should make a 4 door wagon to compete with Vibe/Matrix; I think that would be a winner.
05 Pontiac Vibe, 02 Acura 1.7EL (both passed on to kids), 03 CRV, '12 Civic (wife's)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 10:49:16 am »
I figure my Aerio is one of the pioneers in the small crossover field in the North American market, along with the PT Cruiser.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 01:38:12 am »
I regard the excellent and successful Lexus RX300 as the first modern crossover.  But if you're going to call the Outback a crossover, you have to include all that older stuff like the Toyota Corolla 4wd wagon, the Civic 4wd wagon, the Tercel 4wd wagons, the 4wd Axxess, AMC Eagle wagon, Eagle Vista and Colt 4wd wagons, to name a few.  I like the Rendezvous.  Mercifully the Pontiac Aztec is no more, replaced by the Torrent.  A revival of the Civic 4wd wagon would probably do very well in the market.

Part of what's driving the crossover trend is that old people don't want or need huge trucks, but also find it very awkward to get into and out of contemporary low-slung cars.  Of course, no one is going to promote their vehicles as being suitable for old people.

I think that computer-controlled tooling allows a proliferation of designs, meaning nothing will replace anything else, there will just be more and more models on the market.  We are gradually moving towards everyone having a custom vehicle if they want it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 01:41:02 am by X-Traction »
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 04:50:09 pm »
My wife once had a Tercel 4wd wagon, 62 hp at 4800 RPM!!! That thing was a slug! We did not know at the time we were driving a crossover...

robarakira

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 08:56:34 pm »
I wouldn't buy a Toyota Sienna because I needed a minivan; I'd buy it because I would need a people mover.

I wouldn't buy a Nissan Xterra because I needed an SUV; I'd buy it because I would need a comfortable on and off road vehicle.

I wouldn't buy a Honda Ridgeline becasue I needed a truck; I'd buy it because I would need the cargo and carrying capacities it provides.

I wouldn't buy a Volvo V50 becasue I needed a wagon; I'd buy it becasue I would need an economical car with good cargo capacities.

I would buy a vehicle because it would suit my needs; not because it fits a demographic.

I'm glad to see more 'crossovers' that forgo being characterized as a certain type of vehicle in favour of being better suited for their buyer's needs.  I think if people understand their needs, they would often be able to buy smaller more efficient vehicles.  For more information, see Europe vs. North America.

avtoller

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 09:18:06 pm »
Well said Roba.  :iagree: That's why I bought a Yaris. I'm not a Toyota fan, I needed a small, reliable, economical, "fun" car with a separate area for a wet/muddy/shedding dog (i.e. a hatch/wagon/van). The Yaris was the best fit currently available.  ;D

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 10:45:09 pm »
My wife once had a Tercel 4wd wagon, 62 hp at 4800 RPM!!! That thing was a slug! We did not know at the time we were driving a crossover...

Similarly, we didn't know we were buying an SUV when we bought the first-generation Pathfinder.  We just thought it was the closest match for what our needs were, and those needs didn't include being bullies or pretending we were outdoors people.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 04:41:37 pm »
You know, I think the very first "crossover" was the old AMC Eagle, that small 4wd wagon...

Nope…..in June 1971 Subaru introduced the Leone 4WD Station Wagon.

http://www.subaru.co.za/templates/company/history.asp

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 05:02:48 pm »
Not quite as old as the Subaru, and just after the time of the AMC...

The European Golf Country.

http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Volkswagen/Golf%20-%20GTI%20-%20Rabbit/Golf%20II/Golf%20Country#

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 05:08:15 pm »
You know, I think the very first "crossover" was the old AMC Eagle, that small 4wd wagon...

Nope…..in June 1971 Subaru introduced the Leone 4WD Station Wagon.

http://www.subaru.co.za/templates/company/history.asp

Didn't Jeep do some "Jeepsters" or some such thing back in the 50s or 60s that could be called a crossover today? I'll check my old issues of Collectible Automobile when I get home later.

??? ???

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 10:00:57 pm »
I think you need to cast your minds further back to a Ford for the first crossover;) ;D
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 10:35:42 pm »

kf095

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 11:51:00 pm »
Few years ago one big Cars Magazine was asking subscribers which car style and options do they want. It was not in Canada but -
most of the readers reply -  4x4 wagon - i.e. cross-it-over. Because wagon is smart idea compare to useless sedan. And light version of 4x4 is safety and makes it easy during winter. (real one not like in LA).
Why GM talks about it now. Because now they are Giant Money looser. They need to milk, but huge SUV market is dead cow. They used to make here wagons a lot long time ago, but when it was cheap gas times and big times in North America - they kill it to milk more money by offering huge SUV instead. But even now some magazines stilll named SUV-body as station wagon.
In fact I saw old Jeep this summer at Ontario Place parking lot. It was old nice true crossover. Back to the future, folks.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 06:14:47 pm »
..IF I had a "HUGE GROWTH!!" I would cross over to the Toronto Stock and EXCHANGE I.T fer a Arr Argh A*s Pee!!!!!...I know it's Taxing BUTTAFUCCO think offa futya!!! :)
Time is to stop everything happening at once