Author Topic: CR-V or Santa Fe  (Read 25159 times)

smainville

Re: CR-V or Santa Fe
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 06:07:06 am »
I always try to respect a poster's choices, if he/she broadens the selection or invites us to suggest other models then I will comment.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 09:27:35 am »
Between the CR-V or the Santa Fe, I'd go with the CR-V, unless you can get a heck of a deal with the Santa Fe like $4-5000 off the MSRP plus 0% financing for 60 or 72 months... THEN, and only then, would I pick the Santa Fe over the CR-V. But make no mistake about it, the CR-V will serve you better on a long term basis... more reliable, a lot more fuel efficient, will keep its resale value a lot better and I believe quite a bit safer too.

But personally, I feel as though the new Grand Vitara is currently the best pick on the market. Cheap, extremely well equipped, most robust AWD system in small-SUVs and its interior seems to be a home run. It should be very reliable as real Suzukis have always been very good.

sttei

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 09:29:48 am »
 This is the first time I have used this forum and am finding it very interesting and informative.  We have the 2002 civic (trading, growing family) and have been very happy with Honda so this was our first option.  We looked at the Santa Fe  mostly because of dealer location.  As a (hopefully) wise consumer I am open to any and all suggestions.  My parents bpth have a Rav4 and it seems to be quite a bit small than the CR-V and the more room the better.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 10:20:09 am »
Welcome sttei...hope the stutter clears up...!!!! ;)....seeing as we are having an SUV hate in on another thread can you share with us your "reasons" for going in that direction......with a growing Family.. why .would a  umm..err..Mini i Mini Van eg Mazda 5 (once fixed!!! :'() type of vehicle NOT be on your radar screen......Enquiring Minds want to KNOW...?...? ??? ::)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2005, 10:37:40 am »
sttei, I'm not sure exactly when it's coming, but the new RAV4 will be bigger than the current one, much more in line with the size of the CR-V, X-Trail, etc.

But right now, I think it's hard to beat the value and overall package of the Grand Vitara, unless fuel consumption is at the top of list, then I'd go with the CR-V.

As saf said though, the Mazda5 can be a pretty good option... check it out, it might offer enough room for your needs, although if you find the current RAV4 too small, I think the Mazda5 will be too small also. But it's definitely worth checking out.

sttei

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 10:44:45 am »
Ok, you caught me, my wife wrote my first 2 posts.  The reasons we have focused on the SUV market are as follows.
1. parents drive Rav4's and my brother has a 2005 CR-V so we are familiar with the type of vehicle.
2. We live in the country and have a country lane so the AWD and ground clearance is appealing ( please let me know if this is unfair because I haven't done much research on the mini er mini van).
3. Like the sporty ness of the SUV and we aren't quite ready (still young at heart) to be a "mini van family".

As always,  thanks for any input.  

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 10:52:04 am »
Have a look at the Subaro Forester and Subaru Outback... they offer a pretty good amount of room, and have a higher ground clearance than regular cars... and AWD!

So it really depends on your needs... but there are many good options on the market, excluding the RAV4 that you don't like, there still is the Nissan X-Trail, Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester and Outback, Hyundai Tucson and Santa Fe (get the Tucson unless you have an incredible deal on the Santa Fe), Suzuki Grand Vitara. Even the Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape should be considered. They're pretty much the same vehicle so get the better deal or the one you like the best out of the two.

Btw, the Mazda5 isn't a minivan... it's a small vehicle based on the Mazda3, stretched out a bit with 3 rows of seats... but ground clearance wouldn't be very good...

JD

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2005, 11:02:51 am »
In My Opinion (IMO) you should stay away from the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute as well as the Santa Fe, soley for the fact that they are very, very long in the tooth.  Rave reviews abound about the Suzuki Grand Vitara, worth a look along with the Subbies mentioned above - All are Japanese so that's worth something :D

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2005, 11:09:13 am »
Ford Escape at 0% for 60 months could be interesting. I don't think they are very bad vehicles, especially with the Mazda 2.3L... but yeah, there are better options.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2005, 11:17:21 am »
WTF?  What have you done with Shnak? :o

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2005, 11:18:11 am »
uh?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2005, 11:21:31 am »
I wonder what the pricing of the new RAV-4 will be like. Adding size and engines will bring it very close to the Highlander. I wonder if Toyota is thinking about brining another econ-ute behind the RAV…of move the Highlander up in a redesign which is due soon.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2005, 11:25:15 am »
Ford Escape at 0% for 60 months could be interesting. I don't think they are very bad vehicles, especially with the Mazda 2.3L... but yeah, there are better options.
  :o :o :o

Again, the redesigned Grand Vitara seems to be an excelent choice either...

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2005, 11:26:58 am »
uh?

I was amazed that you suggested a Ford to someone.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2005, 11:30:11 am »
well I did recommend the Escape on a few occasions... and the Focus a few times too... Focus Wagon is tough to beat for price and utility... I also like the Five Hundred and Freestyle quite a bit. Well, other than the CVT crappy transmission in the Freestyle...

Now, there's a difference between recommending vehicles and actually considering them to purchase myself...  ;)

mr_meow

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2005, 11:32:50 am »
I really find the Grand Vitara Dated with a Rav-4 back end - its too fuddy duddy for me - dispite how good Suzuki are its just such a borring of a design.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2005, 11:39:54 am »
I really find the Grand Vitara Dated with a Rav-4 back end - its too fuddy duddy for me - dispite how good Suzuki are its just such a borring of a design.

We don't give a :censor: what you think

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2005, 12:01:10 pm »

Now there is a recipe for negative equity.  According to the Black Book values, a 1-year-old Escape XLT AWD auto depreciates to 59% of MSRP (from $32.3K to $18.9K).  Yes, you'll get a large discount from MSRP from Ford.

Over that same year, the CR-V EX will depreciate to 80% of MSRP (from $31.9K to $25.7K).  In other words, almost in-line with the payments over 60 months, even though you can't get 0% on a CR-V.

Even assuming you can get an extra $2K off the Escape, why would anybody buy one?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2005, 12:06:03 pm »
A friend of mine bought a base Escape about 2 years ago. At the time, it had the 2.0L engine, manual transmission for around $19,500. He got 0% financing for 5 years. Tell me that's not a good deal for a basically good vehicle that should last him at least 5-6 years without too many problems...

It's not for everyone, myself included, but for some people, a deal like that on an Escape makes a lot of sense.

Btw, he intends to keep it for a very long time, so resale value isn't much of a concern to him... but yeah, if you intend to only keep the vehicle for 3-4 years, an Escape isn't the ideal solution... You might as well rent for such a short term usage anyways.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2005, 12:15:34 pm »
Really can't go wrong with the CR-V - it's spacious enough in this class, safe, well designed, has bulletproof reliability, good fuel economy, finally a decent RealTime 4WD (previously the system was rather crude and mechanical, but it's been improved), resale value, and styling that isn't overly trendy so it'll look good for awhile. Of course, you pay for that. But if you plan to load any SUV up with a few options, you're nearly at the price of the CR-V, so it's not so bad.

If you're looking to save some coinage, the Santa Fe or the Tucson are great value SUVs as well. There's NOTHING wrong with the quality of the Hyundais, and everyone I know that has a Santa Fe absolutely raves about it. The resale may not be as good today, but is getting better as Hyundai's reputation improves and people perceive the quality over time. Biggest negative is the fuel economy as far as I'm concerned, but if you're saving a few thousand up front, that's less of an issue. And they have a longer warranty, often cash discounts or superb 0% financing deals too. Even tho the Santa Fe is older, I look at it and think it's a bigger machine and would have a hard time deciding between it and Tucson even tho the Tucson is newer. Prices overlap (in fact, are more a less stacked) between them, and sales are split fairly evenly between the two. Tucson does look like a more fun and adventurous 'backpack SUV' as the TV commercial suggests.

Others I would consider would be the Subaru Forester and while you're there the Legacy Wagon (although it's tighter in the rear seats). Also, the Nissan X-Trail makes a convincing case for itself against the CR-V as it has more personality - the large available sunroof, the bright and airy interior with large glass area and central instrumentation, the interior just seems more basic-yet-works in an indescribable comfort for me. It's less of a cocoon. Exterior is handsome as well.

The Mazda5 I REALLY LOVE, as most regulars on the forum know. It's very large inside relative to the exterior dimensions (it's based off the Mazda3 compact) and has tonnes of room for 4 people (is a 6-passenger vehicle tho) and luggage with versatile flat-folding seats, is great to drive (much sportier), and the pricing is hard to beat. In fact, where pricing in fuel economy go, it's very similar to a Tucson except the Mazda5 doesn't come with AWD and tops out at $25Gs or so. The Mazda5 is involved in a recall which is just being corrected now, and since it's been received well the 6 week (or thereabouts) stop-sale on them means that there's probably a many-month wait to get one. But, you mentioned you live off the beaten path and require higher ground clearance, which a Mazda5 doesn't have. Also, you'd need snow tires in winter for it, as the standard units are tuned more for performance.

There are lots of other options, foreign and domestic, but it depends on the size of vehicle you're after and how much you're planning to realistically spend. For example, the Chevy Equinox has a huge back seat, but perhaps you don't want the standard V6's power/fuel economy or have something against a GM product. Likewise, the Ford Freestar is a great crossover with tonnes of room (it's a size-up), but you wouldn't want to stretch to low $30's for one.

This forum is a great tool. Hope you gain some knowledge by sifting thru our preferences and reasoning, and that it helps!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 12:40:12 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!