Author Topic: CR-V or Santa Fe  (Read 25156 times)

hondasalesguy

Re: CR-V or Santa Fe
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2005, 12:21:28 pm »
no 4WD in the Mazda5, Shnak

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2005, 12:22:44 pm »
no 4WD in the Mazda5, Shnak

I know that... the guy only said that AWD was appealing, not required.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2005, 12:42:11 pm »
Ford Escape at 0% for 60 months could be interesting. I don't think they are very bad vehicles, especially with the Mazda 2.3L... but yeah, there are better options.

Now there is a recipe for negative equity.  According to the Black Book values, a 1-year-old Escape XLT AWD auto depreciates to 59% of MSRP (from $32.3K to $18.9K).  Yes, you'll get a large discount from MSRP from Ford.

Over that same year, the CR-V EX will depreciate to 80% of MSRP (from $31.9K to $25.7K).  In other words, almost in-line with the payments over 60 months, even though you can't get 0% on a CR-V.

Even assuming you can get an extra $2K off the Escape, why would anybody buy one?

A bit of Santa Fe defense:

The resale value arguement doesn't hold much water, if that is your primary buying motive.

Canadian Black Book lists for Sept 2005 a 2004 Honda CR-V LX extra clean at $23,500, and a 2004 SFe GL AWD at $22400.00.  $1100 difference.  '03 there is a $1350 difference, and $2900 for '02's.

$2900 after 4 model years.

Then look at what a CRV costs you VS a Santa Fe.

2006 CR-V SE auto is $31995 with freight and pdi, finance that at 5.9% for 60 months and after tax principal and interest you pay $42,200.00

A S'Fe GL AWD runs $28250++($29500 frt and pdi inc) and has 0% financing.  Total $33660.00.  That's an $8540 difference in Hyundai's favour.  The new Hyundai cannot be dismissed on resale value alone.  It just doesn't hold water.  Four years of resale history refutes that.

Now this by no means is a dis on the CRV.  But the consumer in this comparision can really make a decision on what is most important.  His personal likes/dislikes on both vehicles without the resale question clouding the issue.

Many really like the looks of the Santa Fe.  It was a mold breaker vs the standard two box bread box design pioneered by the Cherokee and definitely carried on by the CrV.  Others think it looks like a pillowcase full of doorknobs.  Choice is good, and along with the Tucson (which I agree might be a good alternate) the consumer cannot complain about lack thereof.

traingirl

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2005, 12:51:18 pm »
Others think it looks like a pillowcase full of doorknobs.  

;D ;D ;D

After recovering from laughing myself silly, I have to agree with Neil.  If a unit is priced high enough, even a lesser percentage of depreciation may not compare favourably to a unit that costs less in the first place.  Good analysis Neil.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2005, 01:04:49 pm »
..Pillowcases full of bedknobs and sharp spikey rings...these are a few of my favourite things....Baron de Sade Masoch......... :banana:...how are the pillow cases and the new slips(Tuck us Ins!!?) selling Neil...?...you can tell us in a Sask Accent...!!!! well unnerstan'...... ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

wrekk

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2005, 02:13:29 pm »
My vote is CRV but I would buy it used.  If you don't plan to wear the vehicle out and you want to buy new or are leasing, I'd say Tuscon.

I'm wondering how long you've been driving the Civic on the country lane?  I realize the mini-van doesn't look the nicest, but aisde from the AWD feature for the country lane, the practicalities of a van outweigh the benefits a CUV anyday, especially once you're talking about have kids soon.

traingirl

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2005, 06:34:16 pm »
I wonder what the pricing of the new RAV-4 will be like.

My Toyota guy tells me that the MY06 Rav4 - 4 cyl should be the same as the MY05 Rav 4.  He had no pricing clue on the 6 cyl.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2005, 09:06:34 pm »
For a soon to be family, I think the Mazda5 is a very cool vehicle.  It's practical, but still retains Mazda's fun to drive factor, and looks good doing it (er, for a minivan thing...).

Of course, it might not be the ideal solution for your location.  I'd look at what everyone has already suggested...  RAV-4, XTrail, Escape, Tuscon, Outback...

sttei

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2005, 09:41:00 pm »
Finally, thank you Neil.  I was starting to feel like I couldn’t add.  Resale value be damned, if money if the only issue then your answer has to come at the end of the day.  The Hyundai still wins.

Wrekk, what’s a CUV?  We have been driving the Civic on a country lane for it’s entire life and discovered that if tread is new then it is not bad but if it is half worn.... well I’m sick of pushing the....  Still, it was a great little car.

All things considered we purchased the CR-V SE tonight.  It was the vehicle we wanted (personal preference + price = happiness) and our dealer hit the number we were hoping for.  Thank you to everyone who gave us food for thought.  Buying a car can be fun!!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2005, 09:47:00 pm »
That's great, sttei, remember the price of all that wonderful free advise is a pix of your new vehicle when you get it.

Enjoy your new ride.  :)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2005, 12:46:42 am »
That's great, sttei, remember the price of all that wonderful free advise is a pix of your new vehicle when you get it.

Well then, it's not exactly free is it?

smainville

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2005, 05:55:45 am »
Congrats, you made a very good choice.

hondasalesguy

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2005, 09:18:16 am »
Why the picture requests? I mean a CR-V (or any other SUV for that matter) isn't exactly a rare site these days..

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2005, 09:25:12 am »
Its the un-written rules of the board.  Buy a new car, must post pics.  Everybody does it.

mdxtasy

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2005, 09:34:52 am »
It's a way to have the new owner share his pride and joy with a bunch of internet car freaks.  Nothing wrong with that I say....

hondasalesguy

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2005, 09:39:37 am »
Agreed nothing wrong wit dat, but then the end result is that the same people who gave him advice to buy THEIR choice of cars and not to buy what he eventually DID, will oooh and aaah and say wayta go... strikes me as a bit insincere is all...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2005, 09:51:19 am »
HSG - don't be wrapped too tight on the pix thing - we all know what most (if not all) vehicles look like, but we like to share the new car "feel" with the new owner and, since he/she has chosen, we don't care what they got - it's just that they got something new. Doesn't matter what our comments/recommendations were, we are just congratulating the new owner. Doesn't seem insincere to me. When I do it, I feel happy for that person.

When you sell vehicles for a living, I suspect they become "just another piece of metal to move off the lot".

That's why we do it. At least that's my opinion.  :D

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2005, 10:09:07 am »
Plus, I have never seen the new SE package, new wheels and I slightly changed bumper, no? Anyways, it's always fun to see new vehicles bought here on this board.

I really should get around to taking pictures of my Febuary-bought Jetta and share it with you guys!  8)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2005, 10:30:36 am »
Heck, If I buy a new bicycle this winter I'll be posting picks.  Its fun for everybody.

hondasalesguy

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2005, 02:26:22 pm »
Don't disagree that it is a big deal for the buyer, and since I sell about 150 cars a year that it is not as wexciting for me. But I still do feel reasonably warm and fuzzy for those people who do buy from me, at least if they haven't been jerks to deal with.

I stand by my statement though, that for the people who have pretty much condemned a person's potential choice of vehicles if it doesn't suit THEIR tastes, it strikes me as insincere and superficial to go all goo goo over their ultimate choice. Of course nobody is going to slam the purchase after it is a done deal, doesn't change the fact that they were discouraging that buyer from making that exact same choice 3 days before he bought...