Author Topic: Help choosing winter tires for Accord  (Read 2619 times)

straysheepie

Help choosing winter tires for Accord
« on: October 22, 2005, 10:17:36 pm »
Hi all,

Just started looking for winter tires and would like some help.  I have a '99 Accord coupe (chosen with help from the nice people here! :) ) and I believe the tire size is 195/65R15.  I live in Vancouver and am looking for something that's good for city driving as well as occasional trips up to local skil hills like Cypress and Whistler.  I also need a tire that will grip the road well in rain at highway speeds since I will drive to school (SFU).

I will most likely buy from Tiretrends and I believe they had a lot of different brands, and I have no idea where to start... some names I've read on this forum that sounds good are Yokohama, Pirellis, maybe the Michelin X-Ice?  I don't mind spending more since I'll be keeping this car for awhile.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Help choosing winter tires for Accord
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 12:54:40 pm »
Morty will be here shortly....

Hankook W300 and Kumho KW17 are two of the more often recommended H-rated winter tires which are also well priced. If yours are 15 inch (check your drivers side door label for size and speed rating), both tires are just under $100/tire.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

morty

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 07:53:40 pm »
Here I am...if you plan to go skiing and take this vehicle then a snow tire is required. If you go with an H-rated winter then you will get drivability in the city and the winter performance during the cold nights (black ice), occasional snow storm and on those trips to the ski hill. Good options would be:

Dunlop Sport M3
Hankook W300
Kumho KW17
Michelin PA2
Yokohama V901

The X-Ice is a great tire, but you might find it a little aggressive and soft for Vancouver driving. Going with the H-Rating is a nice compromise.

Here is a link for your particular vehicle:

1995 Honda Accord Coupe Winter tires- http://www.tiretrends.com/wheel2/iuc_pview/winterFinder.php?model=1250&year=1999&tireSize=15

straysheepie

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 12:13:57 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll go with the Kumho KW17s because I've read lots of good things about them :)

Dumb question but... when should I put the winter tires on?  Should I go as soon as I can, or wait until later in November?  Or will it be totally swamped then and I may as well put them on now?

morty

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 12:24:42 am »
KW17 is a great tire. Problem will be availability...the good inexpensive tires usually sell out first, so dont leave it too long. Winter tires are only produced once a year, so once they are gone, they are gone until next season.

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 12:50:24 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll go with the Kumho KW17s because I've read lots of good things about them :)

Dumb question but... when should I put the winter tires on?  Should I go as soon as I can, or wait until later in November?  Or will it be totally swamped then and I may as well put them on now?

Better to be a bit early than late. Most people wait until the first snowfall and scramble to the nearest tire dealer. The problem is that there is a mass exodus....people scrambling for whatever winter tire is left. Same goes with other winter related stuff like shovels, snow brushes, etc. I have heard here that some people even drive their H-rated winter tires well into the spring or summer...possibly even year round.

In the past couple of days, I had a new set of all terrain tires with severe snow condition rating put on my truck. Noticed that a few people have already been putting new winter tires on their vehicles. But I live in the interior of BC where winter comes around a bit earlier (and later) and much colder than the lower mainland....up to six months in duration with several weeks in the -30 to -40 deg C. :(

Dave
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 12:55:43 am by davidy »

straysheepie

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 01:04:20 am »
Judging from the responses it sounds like "put them on now" since no one mentioned a range really...  ??? I was thinking mid-November since I have exams early November but I guess tires may run out by then...?  I'll phone up Tire Trends this week and ask since I'm now getting a bit OT :)

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 10:31:25 am »
Judging from the responses it sounds like "put them on now" since no one mentioned a range really...  ??? I was thinking mid-November since I have exams early November but I guess tires may run out by then...?  I'll phone up Tire Trends this week and ask since I'm now getting a bit OT :)

By mid to late November should be fine....but pay attention to the long term 2 week forecast on the Weather Channel to see if any climate or temperature changes are expected and schedule your tire changeover accordingly.

Dave