Author Topic: Manufacturing Dates on Tires  (Read 2325 times)

Guess_11

Manufacturing Dates on Tires
« on: October 21, 2005, 07:58:19 pm »
I am about to buy new tires. What should the manufacturing date be around? I know I shouldn't buy tires that have been in stock for like 5 years. Whats the maximum the manufacturing date should be beforing buying a set of "new tires"?

Guess_11

Re: Manufacturing Dates on Tires
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 08:19:16 pm »
And is 806.06$ a good price for a set of Nokian WR, with a size of 205/65/15?

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 08:51:49 am »
It's hard to put a solid number to this as there are too many variables.  A properly stored tire can be good for several years. 

The problem is when a tire that has been stored in a container exposed to the hot sun in Phoenix for months and months - for example. 

Buying from a reputable source is the best way to ensure that the tires have been stored properly and the stock is fresh.

CapriRacer

Visit my website:  www.barrystiretech.com

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 09:27:49 am »
What does manufacturing DATES have ta do wif tyres.....My 5 year old ones ARE CHEWY Though!!!!!....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

morty

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 08:40:26 pm »
In most cases this does not end up being a problem. A good rule is not to buy anything older than 5 years. If you are buying something that has been discontinued then date may play more of a factor. Generally with current tires you wont see anything older than 2 years.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 11:24:55 am »
..WDF!!!   2/5ths OFF the best before date....what are ya doin' wif dem MORTY...building a ski Lodge @ Whistler fer 20110...!!!..?.... ::) ???.....

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 11:50:45 am »
..WDF!!!   2/5ths OFF the best before date....what are ya doin' wif dem MORTY...building a ski Lodge @ Whistler fer 20110...!!!..?.... ::) ???.....

No, no Saffy.  You've got it backwards.

That picture is from an archeological dig.  It's the ancient home of  "Bibendus Inflatus", the ancestor of Bibendum, seen below:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 01:12:26 pm »
..I never get TIRED re-balancing those Toga Girls on my SPINDLE.......where for Art thou...wench...more WOBBLY!! POPS  please......as SEIZE HER and I were sayin'....... ;D   the date was 400 BJ....Hmmmm......

morty

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 08:35:30 pm »
Ya we sell quite a few tires and rarely have an issue with manufacture date. Hopefully be building a ski lodge at whistler one day, but not out of tires. Wood smell is nice..tire smell might be a little much....

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 10:33:52 am »
Morty..actually they are very sturdy...you pack 'em wif sand and being thick the walls have great "R" rated grip !!!!
 Seriously a viable option and YOU would get yer pick of Winters....could line it in Pine inside..no one would know....Recycle babee......MORT's TIRE TRENDY LODGE..has a gripping ring to it fer the hub eccentric....... :thumbup:

morty

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 01:36:30 am »
Can only stand being around tires for so much of the day....I recycle, but that would be pushing it...