Author Topic: Facking Lucky Auzies  (Read 6587 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Facking Lucky Auzies
« on: October 19, 2005, 09:06:10 pm »

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: Facking Lucky Auzies
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 09:55:48 pm »
I know that you're a die-hard manual guy, Snowy, but many turbocharged vehicles are almost better with the auto (although SMG or paddles would be nice).

Just a thought - not a good one?  ;) ;D ???

EDIT - just noted in latest Automobile mag they did a one year ownership review on the LegGT w manual. They said clutch take up was one of the only negatives and they suggested auto w shifters might be preferable.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 10:43:50 pm by ovr50 »
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 10:09:58 pm »
You should also note that the Aus$ and our buck are near par, and Aussies earn about what we do.  That Scoobie runs $60K.  So, while the Aussies are indeed lucky to receive the model, not many will be affording one.  I wonder how many $60K Legacy GT "STi-light" models they'd sell here?

avtoller

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 10:25:50 pm »
Actually, the current exchange rate is $1 CND = $1.13 AUSD, so the car costs about $52,600, still not cheap.

ghost

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 11:05:34 pm »
is it me or what that our Legacies don't look as nice as the overseas model?

msian

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 11:15:29 pm »
Actually, the current exchange rate is $1 CND = $1.13 AUSD, so the car costs about $52,600, still not cheap.

The Legacy Spec B that will be here soon will be in the high-40K minus all the STI-tuned bits...but are the STI bits worth 3-4K?

Offline vz64

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 12:00:51 am »

The Legacy Spec B that will be here soon will be in the high-40K minus all the STI-tuned bits...but are the STI bits worth 3-4K?

Do bits that M3 adds to 330 make worth buying it? I think it is also true for STi-badged products. OK, here is a list of features (I am sure it is not a full list) that STi adds to WRX, which imo worth much more than 2-4K:

IHI Brand Enlarged Air-Intake Hood scoop with Water-Sprayed intercooler

Aluminum alloy pistons

Reinforced "semi-closed deck" alloy block

Forged high-carbon steel connecting rods

Resin composite intake manifold

Electronic Drive by Wire throttle

AVCS (Active Valve Control System) variable valve timing optimizes engine volumetric efficiency through the rev band

Sodium filled exhaust valves

Center: DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) front/rear power split, 6 levels or auto mode, yaw sensor

Front: Helical Limited-slip front axle

Rear: Mechanical

The six-speed constant mesh close ratio transmission features double synchronizer mechanisms on first, third and reverse gears, while second gear is equipped with a triple synchronizer mechanism.

Brembo Disc brakes

Super Sport Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), with independently controlled rear wheels.

EBD: Electronic Brake-force Distribution

Quick Ratio steering 15.0:1

17" BBS alloy

225/45R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE070

McPherson-type inverted, alloy lower L-arms, liquid filler rear bushings

REV adjustable RPM alarm with warning buzzer and light.

Front corner spoiler, STi side body colored ground effects, Wide Flared Front Fenders and rear quarter panels

Climate control

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 12:02:30 am »
Plus the EXCLUSIVE STi badge.  :)

Offline vz64

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 12:14:48 am »
Plus the EXCLUSIVE STi badge.  :)

And lots of girly pinky inserts all over  ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 12:41:33 am »
..NICE ONE...BRUCE..... :thumbup:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Traum

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 04:23:40 am »
1) Front: Helical Limited-slip front axle
2) The six-speed constant mesh close ratio transmission features double synchronizer mechanisms on first, third and reverse gears, while second gear is equipped with a triple synchronizer mechanism.
3) Brembo Disc brakes
4) Quick Ratio steering 15.0:1
5) McPherson-type inverted, alloy lower L-arms, liquid filler rear bushings

These 5 parts alone almost make the STi worth its premium over the WRX, IMO. And then there are the other smaller goodies.

-Rick

msian

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 09:24:48 am »
I am merely trying to compare the value of our soon-to-be-available Legacy Spec B which I believe is pretty close to the Liberty tuned-by-STI. The Liberty will have additional STI suspension bits that the Legacy Spec B lacks. So looks like the Australian pricing will be quite close to what Canadians are paying; Legacy Spec B plus STI bits would be high-40K plus a few thousand to make it low-50K. I guess it all depends on how much those pink bits are worth to you?   :P

The Impreza WRX STI is a "bargain" for an extra 14K over the run-of-the-mill WRX as it does include all the engine, transmission and suspension goodies. It would definitely cost a lot more than that to mod a WRX to match the STI's performance. Just don't complain that the inverted struts are "bouncy" on smooth-ish roads, or the manual DCCD makes scary scrapping noises, etc...  ;)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 10:32:22 am »
 A base LGT MT is $36k. By investing another $5k you could have a 330 hp killer sedan.
Add another $3k for brakes, $1k for handling bits, and $1k for rubber and the LGT becomes very interesting.  For a total investment of $10k there will be very few sedans on the market that will perform better in real world driving conditions.

Offline vz64

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 10:41:43 am »
 Just don't complain that the inverted struts are "bouncy" on smooth-ish roads, or the manual DCCD makes scary scrapping noises, etc...  ;)

So true - If you try to back up while DCCD is in manual, it feels like you hit a curb! But if you switch to auto, the noises are gone.  Also, I will try to "fix" bouncy-ness with prodrive springs.  But most of the brick-like road feel was gone after I switched from stockies (070) to PS2.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 10:47:38 am »
I am merely trying to compare the value of our soon-to-be-available Legacy Spec B which I believe is pretty close to the Liberty tuned-by-STI. The Liberty will have additional STI suspension bits that the Legacy Spec B lacks. So looks like the Australian pricing will be quite close to what Canadians are paying; Legacy Spec B plus STI bits would be high-40K plus a few thousand to make it low-50K. I guess it all depends on how much those pink bits are worth to you?   :P

The Impreza WRX STI is a "bargain" for an extra 14K over the run-of-the-mill WRX as it does include all the engine, transmission and suspension goodies. It would definitely cost a lot more than that to mod a WRX to match the STI's performance. Just don't complain that the inverted struts are "bouncy" on smooth-ish roads, or the manual DCCD makes scary scrapping noises, etc...  ;)

The following mods cost me $8800 CDN and result in a dyno result of 350 HP.
I need to upgrade by brakes and have priced out options out at +/-$2k
My 2002 WRX was leased based on a price of $32.5k and adding the mods results in a total investment of $41.3k

Walbro 255 lPH Fuel Pump
STi 565cc Fuel Injectors
IHI VF30 Turbo
Ultimate racing up-pipe (removed flex joint)
Ultimate racing down pipe
MRT SS exhaust and mid pipe
ECUTEK and tune by Neetrionics
OZ Racing Superleggeras 17 X 7.5
Bridgestone S03 PP 225/45 R17
STi Hood scoop
STi Front grill
Speed Monkee Heat shield.
K&N Filter.

msian

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 10:58:35 am »
My 2002 WRX was leased based on a price of $32.5k and adding the mods results in a total investment of $41.3k

Walbro 255 lPH Fuel Pump
STi 565cc Fuel Injectors
IHI VF30 Turbo
STi Hood scoop
STi Front grill
K&N Filter.

So the stock WRX STI does prove to be quite a "bargain"...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 11:26:44 am »

Walbro 255 lPH Fuel Pump
STi 565cc Fuel Injectors
IHI VF30 Turbo
STi Hood scoop
STi Front grill
K&N Filter.

So the stock WRX STI does prove to be quite a "bargain"...

??? I do not know how you equate spending more to be slower a bargain.

msian

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 11:59:52 am »

If going fast in a straight line is the criteria, then no the STI would never be a bargain.

Without the proper suspension and braking mods, it may be difficult to keep up with the STI in the twisties. Not to mention the better steering rack. The front LSD, DCCD and the 6-speed are just bonus. Now some may argue that the front LSD actually make it more difficult to drive but you just need to get used to its behaviour....the helical front LSD is quite different in feel...I think Subaru had replace it with a mechanical one recently though.

Offline vz64

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 12:27:57 pm »

If going fast in a straight line is the criteria, then no the STI would never be a bargain.

Not to mention that more durable engine and transmission internals on STi make it as more attractive basis for power mods. Fast, Cheap, Durable - pick any two!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 12:29:41 pm »

Without the proper suspension and braking mods, it may be difficult to keep up with the STI in the twisties. Not to mention the better steering rack. The front LSD, DCCD and the 6-speed are just bonus. Now some may argue that the front LSD actually make it more difficult to drive but you just need to get used to its behaviour....the helical front LSD is quite different in feel...I think Subaru had replace it with a mechanical one recently though.

I did not buy a WRX to go fast in a straight line. I would have got a Mustang GT and modded it up to 400 hp if I wanted that. I am debating spending the extra $12k for an STi over the plain WRX.