Author Topic: Mazda6 winter tires: Blizzak REVO or Michelin X-Ice?  (Read 21641 times)

msian

Re: Mazda6 winter tires: Blizzak REVO or Michelin X-Ice?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 11:47:53 am »
So in the Tire-Rack test the Blizzak beat the X-Ice in almost every test. 

Who do you believe?

I'm getting neither so I have no idea where I stand anymore.

:surrend:

Without knowing the testing methodology used by CR, it is difficult to say.
TR, on the other hand, provided actual numbers for comparison. But perhaps numbers don't tell you everything...the X-Ice could "feel excellent" in cornering compared to the Blizzak and that doesn't mean it actually "perform" better. The X-Ice could be providing better feedback to the driver and numbers would not reflect that in objective tests.

Now "feeling" could be an important aspect as well because it gives the driver more confidence and reassurance.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 11:57:10 am »
From my perusing of the TireRack tests   ...the Dunlop Winter M3's seem to run away from the pack...and guys/gals use them all year in some cases....Hmmmmm am I missing something here..they quote  $107US per corner fer ma Millenia..... :think: :thumbup:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 04:03:06 pm »
Both the Mercedes and Subaru have OE H-rated tires for summer use.  I would not install lower than H-rated on either vehicle EXCEPT for snow tires.

Since we're looking for maximum ice and snow capability, lower speed rated winter tires are what I get.

Everyone makes out like the Blizzak tires are somehow unsafe when the roads are bare and dry.  What crap.  We had WS-50's on our Outback Wagon and while I wouldn't want to go autocrossing, dry handling was pretty reasonable, and excellent when considering it's ice capabilities.  We drove to B.C. for Christmas on them and found no problems in the no-snow of the Okanogan, but really appreciated them in the Rockies on the drive out and back.

msian

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 04:19:58 pm »
I have had less than H-rated winter tires (Q,T-rated) before and they were by no means "dangerous". Sure they were mushier but never dangerous IMHO.

I also tried H-rated. They were almost as good as a good all-season in the dry...but they were definitely not-on-par with my lower-rated winter tires when driven in real winter slippery conditions.

Therefore, I have gone back to <H-rated tires...currently on Nokian RSi (R-rated!)...

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 04:20:58 pm »
People don't know enough to slow down between November and April.   >:(

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 05:14:56 pm »
Mr.T you are a BEAR.........CAVE...GRIZZLY....!!!!?..Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! see ya April......

morty

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 01:15:35 am »
With winter tires you are not required to maintain the OE speed rating. Although the sidewall will be softer and handling and dry braking is effected, the compromise is worth it. You will gain braking and handling in cold temperatures and improve snow and ice braking/handling. However, with summers and all-seasons it is "recommended" to run the OE speed rating or better. There is no law, but it is the correct thing to do. Props to the dealer who would rather do the right thing then just say anything to sell you tires.

As for comparing tires. The way they test tires is a little deceiving. Of course someone has to finish first, but how much difference is there between the top brands. IMO they are very close. If we could compare braking distance and other stats You would probably be surprised at how close they really are.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 04:22:59 am »
This probably explains those speed rating law rumours: http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscriber/opinion2.phtml?cat=3&id=1099679782 .

Here's a quote: "In Maine, the issue has come to a head as word has spread about a little-publicized state law enacted in September 2003. The one-sentence law states: “A vehicle may be equipped only with tires that meet or exceed the load and speed rating of the original equipment tires.”

Not related, but here's an interesting article on "performance tires": http://expertpages.com/news/performance_tires.htm

I have had less than H-rated winter tires (Q,T-rated) before and they were by no means "dangerous". Sure they were mushier but never dangerous IMHO.

Everyone makes out like the Blizzak tires are somehow unsafe when the roads are bare and dry. What crap. We had WS-50's on our Outback Wagon and while I wouldn't want to go autocrossing, dry handling was pretty reasonable, and excellent when considering it's ice capabilities.

When the roads are bare & dry (as they often are around here in the winter), I like to cruise along at 120 kph or so. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Are Q-rated winters dangerous at that speed? While I certainly find them unpleasant, as long as everything proceeds tickety-boo, I'd have to agree that they're not actually dangerous.

But what if a deer jumps out in front of me and I have to take evasive action? What if I have to swerve suddenly to avoid something on the road? ( yeah, yeah, I know... I should be paying more attention  :P)

On those mushy, Q-rated sidewalls, there's a much greater chance that I'll wind up in either the ditch or in front of oncoming traffic. That's where the danger lies, IMO, and that's why I'm happy to give up a little bit of snow & ice performance to gain a great deal of handling precision and stability.

maarp

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 07:33:47 am »
With winter tires you are not required to maintain the OE speed rating. Although the sidewall will be softer and handling and dry braking is effected, the compromise is worth it. You will gain braking and handling in cold temperatures and improve snow and ice braking/handling. However, with summers and all-seasons it is "recommended" to run the OE speed rating or better. There is no law, but it is the correct thing to do. Props to the dealer who would rather do the right thing then just say anything to sell you tires.
I fully agree that the speed rating should be maintained for summer driving, but this guy was just trying to up-sell me higher rated winter tires.  No props from me.

Morty - I fully expect you'll be getting a call from me within a couple of days (before the Michelin offer runs out.  ;) )

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 08:41:56 am »
...But what if a deer jumps out in front of me and I have to take evasive action? What if I have to swerve suddenly to avoid something on the road? ( yeah, yeah, I know... I should be paying more attention  :P)

Been there.  Have had to take evasive action on Q-rated snow tires a few times, and though the car didn't react with the precision as it would have on it's summer tires, no big surprises.

pichem

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2005, 08:53:09 am »
Here is the CR list:
1 Michelin X-Ice
2 Viking SnowTech 
3 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice
4 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50
5 Mastercraft Glacier Grip II 
6 Gislaved Nordfrost 3
7 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 
8 Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2 
9 Kelly Wintermark Magna Grip HT 
10 Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI
11 Hankook W404 
12 Dayton Winterforce 

maarp

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2005, 09:01:00 am »
Thanks.   :)

maarp

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2005, 02:20:39 pm »
Just ordered the Michelins.  Thanks for all your help, everyone.   :hello: