Author Topic: Opinions: Mazda3 Vs Impreza  (Read 11155 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Opinions: Mazda3 Vs Impreza
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 01:12:08 pm »
That Impreza is HOT, love it!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 01:12:39 pm »

<--- VERY PRETTY

Fixed for you ;)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 01:16:11 pm »
Love the front, hate the wing at the back though. Wings = Stupid

eax

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 01:23:37 pm »
JD, get ready to pay MORE for the car when you arrive at the border than you would have if you bought it in Canada.  You will have to pay duty on the declared value according to your invoice and CANADAIN TAXES (15%) when you go to Liscence it...

JD

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 02:58:31 pm »
JD, get ready to pay MORE for the car when you arrive at the border than you would have if you bought it in Canada.  You will have to pay duty on the declared value according to your invoice and CANADAIN TAXES (15%) when you go to Liscence it...

Being a customs officer, I know what I have to pay, thanks.   ::)

I only have to pay 7%, on account of being from a good province, and the difference in straight-out cost is $6,000.

I save money on taxes buying in the US, as I only have to pay $31,000 x.07, as compared to $37,000x.07... so I save $6,000x.07 = $420 in GST, which will mostly be eaten away by the conversion of the car to cdn-spec, as well as RIV fees.

So I stil come out over $6,000 ahead.. Nt bad when Great Falls is only 2.5 hours away.

JD

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 03:00:59 pm »
... As for AC Excise, I'd have to pay the same amount regardless of if I bought in Canada or the US...

Thnx to Nafta, there is no taxation difference on a car purchased in the US or Canada... So I can head down and save $6000 for a day's worth of work...  That's more then worth it to a starving student and part-time defender of our country ;)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2005, 03:03:50 pm »
but don't you have to pay duty fees too?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2005, 03:14:47 pm »
If the car is built in NA you don't have to pay duty otherwise you have to pay 6% duty.  What about warranty?  Some manufacturers honour it some will not.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2005, 03:19:48 pm »
If the car is built in NA you don't have to pay duty otherwise you have to pay 6% duty.  What about warranty?  Some manufacturers honour it some will not.

The WRX isn't made in NA, no? So the guy will save 6000$ on the purchase price, then pay 6% at the border, then another 7% in sales tax in his province, and then there has to be some modifications to make it legal in Canada... there can't be much left to be saved after all that, no? Plus add the potential warranty problems... and the resale value that will most likely take a hit because it is a US car. It seems like a lot of trouble for a vehicle that can be purchased here... If it was a Scion, I would understand... but a WRX? I don't get it...

JD

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2005, 03:22:55 pm »
WRX is built in the US, so it's all good there... Like I said, 7% GST for my Albertan self, plus the RIV fees and AC Excise tax...  All of which, except for the RIV fees, I would pay in Canada... But the RUV fees are more then covered by the GST savings of the lower purchase price.

JD

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005, 03:24:41 pm »
Shnak, you're sloooow...

The car is built @ Subaru's Lafayette plant.  I AM AN ALBERTAN SO I ONLY PAY GST WHICH I WOULD HAVE PAID ANYWAYS

THANKS TO NAFTA THERE ARE NO EXTRA TAXES OR DUTIES ON TEH CAR THAT I WOULDN'T PAY IN CANADA.

Finally, the conversion costs are $200 for the DRL and child latches.  No materia resale value reduction.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005, 03:34:24 pm »
oh I didn't know they built them in the states...

And warranty work will be done without any problems at your local dealership? And I have to wonder about its resale value because personally, if I am given the choice between a canadian-sold WRX and a states-imported WRX for the same price, I'll get the canadian one... so maybe you'd have to see it for a bit less... but since you seem to be saving close to 6k at time of purchase, that might be a moot point afterall  :P

But then, that brings an interesting point... we know that most vehicles sell for a lot less in the states than here in Canada... what prevents us (all of us!) to go down in the states and bring back our new cars? I would think the Canadian government would want to limit that kind of activity as much as possible, no?

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2005, 03:35:18 pm »
The WRX (and all other Imprezas, plus the Forester) are made in JAPAN ONLY.

Subaru's Indiana plant builds the Legacy/Outback and B9 Tribeca.

avtoller

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2005, 03:36:19 pm »
I saw a new Impreza in my rearview a couple of weeks ago, and was surprised that I actually liked it! I expected to find it ugly.  ??? ;)

Offline Hyundaiguy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2005, 03:42:33 pm »
oh this is really easy if you want a rebadge ford get a mazda - lovely car if a bit bland styling wise - but nice than the horrid 6 - my realtor has one I hate it.

Mazda 3 is bland? IMO, I think it has one of the nicer styling in compact segment. Most of the reviews and people comment on how nice it looks.... ???

mr_meow

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2005, 03:46:05 pm »
oh this is really easy if you want a rebadge ford get a mazda - lovely car if a bit bland styling wise - but nice than the horrid 6 - my realtor has one I hate it.

Mazda 3 is bland? IMO, I think it has one of the nicer styling in compact segment. Most of the reviews and people comment on how nice it looks.... ???

Oh sorry I'm from Europe - that car looks bland when you been in Europe and seen whats on the road - but I could live with that cause it is a lovely motor.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 03:49:56 pm by meow »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2005, 03:47:22 pm »
"what prevents us (all of us!) to go down in the states and bring back our new cars?"

I don't think Subie of Canada will warranty anything from the States.  Most companies (not just car companies) are like this now to stop people from cross boarder shopping.  

Just for that reason alone its not worth it.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2005, 03:48:29 pm »
:iagree:

Re: the impreza find out the VIN if it starts with a J you pay 6% duty, which is only around $1800 so you still save.

What about warranty does subaru cover it?  Honda doesn't....

Resale value will be affected for sure, unless you find a buyer that cares, if you keep the car past the warranty period than resale value is a non-issue.

Will Subaru provide the recall clearance letter?  Again sometimes very tought to get.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2005, 03:55:17 pm »
My friend told me that VW respects warranty from cars bought in the states and brought back to Canada. Maybe it's a different story than our WRX guy here though since he has actually live in the states for the last 3 years and was contemplating coming back to Canada with his car... maybe VW respects the warranty when you move from the states to Canada, but not when you buy your car in the states and drive back to Canada right aways... I don't know.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2005, 04:01:40 pm »
VW Might honour the warranty, BMW/Mini and Merc do for sure.