Author Topic: Opinions: Mazda3 Vs Impreza  (Read 11159 times)

DarthMaul

Opinions: Mazda3 Vs Impreza
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:44:26 pm »
As the title says, looking for opinions on the 06 Mazda3 versus 06 Subaru Impreza, both are fun-to-drive and roughly in the same price range $22-25k.  Buying soon, need opinions.  Here's my comparison:

Pluses for Mazda3
-Hatchback
-Good feul economy
-Available leather interior
-Better exterior styling

-Pluses for Impreza
-AWD
-More power (but heavier)
-Front side airbags
-IMO better interior

Minuses for Mazda3
-Everyone has one  >:(
-FWD
-Gimmicky pod gauges

Minuses for Imprezza
-no Sunroof option on Sedan (might be the deciding factor), need to go aftermarket.
-Worst feul economy
-Seats don't fold
-Need spoiler and body kit to look good :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Opinions: Mazda3 Vs Impreza
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 10:48:09 pm »
Does this thread help? It was discussed this entire week.
http://www.cartalkcanada.com/forum/index.php/topic,40671.0.html

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:28:24 am »
You know the Impreza also comes as a hatchback/small wagon, right? More room in it than the 3 hatch, especially with the seats up. But true, no sunroof either way. I had an aftermarket sunroof that works well put in my Impreza.

If AWD isn't a really important feature for you, you could always get a 3 and put the money that you'd have spent on a sunroof for the Impreza into a set of winter wheels and tires. Then you'd have a great car with factory roof and it would still be quite capable in the snow.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:16:56 am »
Minuses for Mazda3
-Gimmicky pod gauges

Alleluyia!! I'm not the only one that HATES the gauges in the Mazda3! That and the cheap red orange lighting...  :o

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:25:05 am »
“Need spoiler and body kit to look good”

Buy a silver one and I will trade you trunks for the one on my WRX. See the link to the previous thread for my opinion on this issue.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:25:56 am »
Minuses for Mazda3
-Gimmicky pod gauges

Alleluyia!! I'm not the only one that HATES the gauges in the Mazda3! That and the cheap red orange lighting...  :o

How exactly does lighting look "cheap"?  It's lighting fer chrissake!  Can the same be said for the red orange lighting on BMWs too?
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 10:28:34 am »
Obviously a very subjective call - I have liked the orange-red lighting in any vehicle I have either had it in or seen it in. I think it's far sharper than the more ordinary black/white variations.  ;D
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 10:31:33 am »
Cars lighting has been orange (and green) for years now... when I sit in a car with awesome lighting like in my Jetta and then I sit in a Mazda3 or Toyota, I can't help myself but feel that it looks incredibly cheap and not modern at all. But, that's just a matter of taste.

And pods, I HATE pods. Give me a simple clean gauge cluster and I'm happy. No need for gimmicks like pods.

DarthMaul

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 10:47:22 am »
bmorton, where did you get the after market sunrooft, from the dealership or 3rd party?  What's the warranty on it? Was it a clean install, ie no bare wiring showing, no cheezie sunroof switch, no leaks or wind noise?

I like hatches but not Wagons (I'm old enough to remember the old American wagons with the fake wood panels)

The reason I say the Mazda3's guages are Gimmicky is because of the long plastic tube it's housed in and the fact that the needle starts at 6 O'clock instead of the traditional 8 o'clock position.  It's like they are trying too hard to make it sporty looking  :D

shnak, I'm looking at white :(

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 10:52:57 am »
bmorton, where did you get the after market sunrooft, from the dealership or 3rd party?  What's the warranty on it? Was it a clean install, ie no bare wiring showing, no cheezie sunroof switch, no leaks or wind noise?

Aftermarket sunroof is about the last thing I'd ever want put on my car. If you can't get a factory sunroof on the Imprezza model you want, I'd go without the sunroof altogether, or look at another trim/model.

Uh?

DarthMaul

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 10:54:21 am »

Aftermarket sunroof is about the last thing I'd ever want put on my car. If you can't get a factory sunroof on the Imprezza model you want, I'd go without the sunroof altogether, or look at another trim/model.

Uh?

meant snowman

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 11:27:53 am »
The dealer had the sunroof installed by a shop in Toronto that's been doing sunroof installs for years. It's a brand-name sunroof with a warranty as long as the car's (could have gone for longer but it's a lease, so don't need it). The install looks like it was done at the factory. New headliner and sliding shade, finished inside nicer than the factory Subaru sunroof and a larger glass panel as well. They integrated the sunroof switch into the factory map light panel and the switch is illuminated. No leaks or any other problem, just over 2 years in now. I'd do it again, but it's pricey, so you have to really need a sunroof in a car to go for it.

The Impreza isn't really a wagon, just looks more like one than the 3 does because of the rear windows.

avtoller

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 11:58:32 am »
I had a sunroof installed in my Forester. The quality both of the roof itself and the installation was AT LEAST as good as the factory roof in the Golf. I would not hestitate to have a high quality unit installed by an experienced shop.

DarthMaul

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 12:09:38 pm »
How much was it for the aftermarket sunroof?  Does the roof panel slide on top of the roof for inside the roof like the factory ones? Wouldn't a major modification like this void the factory warranty?

JD

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 12:14:29 pm »
I am going to drive 3hours down to Great Falls, MT to buy my 2006 WRX Limited.

It's $31k Canadian all in, compared to $37k CDN from the dealer for the non-limited version!   :o

DarthMaul

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 12:28:27 pm »
Great Falls, MT as in Great Falls Montana?

Don't you have to have an Amiercan address to buy a car in America? Wouldn't you have to pay duties on the way back?  What about converting the car to comply with Canadian regulations, have it certified, etc, etc, etc.

avtoller

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 12:28:46 pm »
How much was it for the aftermarket sunroof?  Does the roof panel slide on top of the roof for inside the roof like the factory ones? Wouldn't a major modification like this void the factory warranty?

It was a "tilt/slide" model from Wabasto.     http://www.webastoshowroom.com/

It slid inside and had a sunshade. The controls were better than the factory ones in the Golf. There was also less buffeting. IMO, a truly excellent product.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 12:43:54 pm by AVToller »

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 12:32:01 pm »
Mine slides into the roof and is also a Webasto. My understanding of the factory warranty is that they can only deny coverage if your modification is at fault for whatever went wrong. The sunroof has its own warranty anyway. I paid $1600 for the install. Expensive, but I use it all the time and it was worth it for me. Like I said before though, if you're ambivalent about AWD, $1600 would buy you a set of winter tires & rims for the 3 with lots left over.

mr_meow

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 12:42:53 pm »
oh this is really easy if you want a rebadge ford get a mazda - lovely car if a bit bland styling wise - but nice than the horrid 6 - my realtor has one I hate it.

06 Subaru Impreza has very ugle from the nose - if you can get past that - then I would take  06 Subaru Impreza any day over a mazda.

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewerStandard.php?episode=111&searchStatus=1&keyword=mazda%203&segment=1&keywordcall=&segtitle=  Video Review of the Mazda

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewerStandard.php?episode=111&searchStatus=1&keyword=mazda%203&segment=1&keywordcall=&segtitle= 06 Subaru Impreza Review

<--- not very pretty
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 12:48:52 pm by meow »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 01:04:14 pm »
I personally like how they designed the new grille of the Imprezza. It's refreshing to see a manufacturer take its design into a bold new direction, and I like their new look. I guess I'm one of the few that finds the Tribeca quite a good looking vehicle!  :)