Author Topic: Opinions: Mazda3 Vs Impreza  (Read 11148 times)

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
Re: Opinions: Mazda3 Vs Impreza
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2005, 04:22:09 pm »
Some manufacturers will do the warrenty work in the other country, while you're travelling, etc, but you have to pay for it, and then get reimbursed when you get back home...

eax

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2005, 04:39:31 pm »
Hey there skippy nee JD, maybe you should have mentioned that your a custom's officer and live in Alberta before throwing down the  ::)  good luck on your purchase though.  It is up to the manufacturer and the rep. whether the warranty will be honored or not.  The problem is that if you p-off the manufacturer they can turn your warranty requests down flat as technically it is goodwill.  In addition, you make yourself look like an A** by flaming others and making a mistake as to where the car your intending to buy is made so here's yours.... ::)

JD

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2005, 04:51:16 pm »
I am simply going by what the dealer told me, that all 2006 WRX were being built out of the Layfette plant.  :P

If that's not the case, then I am going to be out an extra ~$1,800... I am still ahead of the game by over $4,000!

I will be calling Subaru of Canada and asking them about their policy on warantty coverage - Didn't think of that... If it's a go, I'll be getting a WRX instead of a subcompact!  ;D

JD

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2005, 04:53:35 pm »
Just got off the phone with the dealer, and he confirmed a VIN for me - It's got a "1", so it's a US car!  :P

Maybe Subaru is doing final inspection installation state-side?  I don't know, all I care is that the vin saves me $1,756   :o

My next call is to Subaru HQ!

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2005, 05:02:18 pm »
All Imprezas are built in Japan. The VIN should start with JF1GD for a WRX sedan.

JD

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2005, 05:17:49 pm »
That's my understanding, but I was told it's a 1F...  ???

Regardless, I told the dealer if I show up un a few weeks and my silver/black leather WRX Sedan LTD doesnt have a "1" vin, that they'd be on the hook for the $1800!  They were confident that it would be, and agreed.

This dealer sells tonnes of cars to Canadians, maybe something fishy is going on ?  I don't know...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2005, 05:18:59 pm »
Interesting.  Are you sure the DRL and LATCH set-up are only $200?  Is that confirmed?  The DRL issue might be a simple programming change, but the LATCH system might take more work, I'm not sure.

I seem to recall that there was also a requirment to install KM/H speedo and odo, but that might be conjecture.

I do know that Mercedes-Benz will warranty your car in Canada and the US, but there are some sticking points about registration vs. traveling.  I recall that it wasn't a big deal and warranty coverage was easily "moved" if you moved.  Some of the Big Three have HUGE issues with cross-border shopping and warranty coverage, and Subaru flying a little under GM's umbrella, I'd check it out pretty carefully.

As to resale, US import cars take a hit.  But, if it's a "keeper" who cares?  Save a bunch and drive it for 15 years.  At that point it'll be worth $2000 and no one will care where it came from.

JD

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2005, 06:23:45 pm »
Interesting.  Are you sure the DRL and LATCH set-up are only $200?  Is that confirmed?  The DRL issue might be a simple programming change, but the LATCH system might take more work, I'm not sure.

I seem to recall that there was also a requirment to install KM/H speedo and odo, but that might be conjecture.

I do know that Mercedes-Benz will warranty your car in Canada and the US, but there are some sticking points about registration vs. traveling.  I recall that it wasn't a big deal and warranty coverage was easily "moved" if you moved.  Some of the Big Three have HUGE issues with cross-border shopping and warranty coverage, and Subaru flying a little under GM's umbrella, I'd check it out pretty carefully.

As to resale, US import cars take a hit.  But, if it's a "keeper" who cares?  Save a bunch and drive it for 15 years.  At that point it'll be worth $2000 and no one will care where it came from.

My thoughts exactly...  As far as I have been told, the odo doesn't have to go to KPH, as long as it has KPH on it...

As far as warranty, I haven't figured out how who to talk to a Subbie HQ exactly, but I'll sort that out before I import it.  As for the length of ownership, I'll probably keep it for 5 years, at which point the target buyers market (young guys, I'm sure) won't give two whoots where it's from...

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2005, 06:52:29 pm »
Well...as long as it's not your $1800 on the line.

VINs on Subarus built in Indiana will start with 4S3 or 4S4.  Those from Japan will start with JF1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_VIN_codes

A VIN that starts 1F will most likely be a Ford.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2005, 07:51:49 pm »
If you can get the dealer to give you the entire VIN, it's easy to tell what kind of vehicle it's a VIN for. Drivesideways is right, no Subaru has a "1" VIN, not even the ones made in Indiana. Hope it's as easy to get the dealer to fork over the $1800 when you get down there as it was to get them to agree to do it now.

There's no DRL issue, at least. US-spec Subarus have DRLs also.

luckster

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2005, 10:19:21 pm »
JD after seeing your post, being from Alberta, I thought this was a great deal with the current exchange rate.  I went on the Subaru USA website and priced one out, after I priced it out, there was an option to check dealer's inventory, I entered in the Zip code for Great Falls MT (59401), The Subaru USA website came back with 3 dealers, the one in Great Falls did not have any 2006 Impreza in stock, the one in Helena, Placer Motors had a couple of 2006 Inprezas in stock including one WRX - VIN - JF1GD79616G505067, the other 2006 Imprezas also had VINs that starts with JF1, I also tried other ZIP codes and all the VINS for the 2006 Imprezas that were in dealers stock starts with JF1.  So I think it's pretty safe to say all 2005 Imprezas are from Japan, so the 6% duty has to paid if you're importing from the US. 

JD, I'll still be interested in your final cost if you are still importing one, and also if the warranty is honoured here.  It still be may be worth it to import one if the exchange rate are right.

JD

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2005, 10:34:48 pm »
Luckster... I was told that the online inventory is only updated when they have time  ::)

I too am confused by the vin.. a little NAISOC search shows that you guys are right... I think I might be being hoodwinked.

Well, I go down through to Great Falls with the school team, so I'll check them out in a few weeks.

I am not hugely concerned, even $4,000 off is great, especially if the warranty is intact up here!

luckster

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2005, 10:53:44 pm »
JD, $4000 off is great deal if the warranty is good up here, heck if the CND $ goes up further, the deal will even be sweeter, please keep us updated with your final cost, including any modification you have to make to the car. If all said and done, you're still saving over $4000, I'll be doing the same thing.

TIA