Author Topic: Winters for RAV4  (Read 3420 times)

mchev5

Winters for RAV4
« on: October 16, 2005, 12:42:55 am »
It's time to put some winters on my new RAV4. I'm pretty excited about that (yeah, I love tires. Weird huh?). I want the best possible tire for the money. I'm down to 4 options but if there are any RAV4 owners out there, I'd love to hear your feedback on your experience with winters.

So here's what I've narrowed it down to. BTW, I'm considering getting steel rims.
A) Pirelli Winter Carving (I like how agressive the thread looks but how's the performance in snow...and wear?)
B) Hankook W300 IceBear (I've read good reviews about this tire and the price is pretty good).
C)Toyo Observe GO-2 Plus (I hear this one wears fast. I like the thread patters though).
D) Michelin X-Plus (They're every where man, are they that good or is the marketing team doing a good job?).

I live in Toronto but travel to Sudbury and Grey-Bruce County often. A lot of snow in both areas so I want to make sure I stay on the road. Hey, maybe I can buy one of each  :nono:

Thanks for the feedback!

froggy

Re: Winters for RAV4
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 01:02:27 am »
Welcome on board!  ;D
I just bought the W300 in 215/70 R16 for my '05 RAV4, with steel rims from TireTrends.com.
I should receive them early next week, all balanced and ready to set.
From what I read, it was the best performance/price deal you can get.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 01:26:36 am »
I no longer have the RAV but I do like Froggy's choice above. The Hankooks are good.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

mchev5

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 01:44:00 pm »
Hummm. I was just reading reviews about the Hankook W300 on a couple other sites and they weren't that good. What's the deal? Can anyone here with a full winter's experience comment?

I saw good reviews about the Winterforce M+S (Firestone I believe). What's your take on this tire. I can pick it up for a little over $115/tire. Cost wise, it's pretty close to the W300.

I actually like the W440. I like the V-Shaped center thread design. Any expericence with this one or is this a new model for this year?

Man, winter tires shouldn't be this complicated....but at least researching this stuff is fun! 8)

morty

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 04:05:08 pm »
If you are going to be in extreme conditions I would steer you towards winter carving, G02, Blizzak DMZ3 and X-Ice. I little better in deep snow. If you were mainly in the city and high-speed commuting then I would say W300.

Curious about the poor reviews....would you post a link? With proper application we have had nothing but great reviews. I guess it is all about picking the right tires for the right job.

Here are our reviews on this tire:

W300 Winter Tire Reviews - https://www.tiretrends.com/tire_info.php3?detailID=23625

mchev5

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 02:27:44 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Morty. I think I'm gonna go with something totally different. I got a great quote for Hankook 404's. I like the thread design and I really want to give Hankook a shot. I like what they're doing.

These are studded tires. Other than being able to put studs in them is there a difference between these and non-studded?

I guess the bad reviews for the W300 were nominal. I won't worry about some guy driving like a maniac and complaining that he gets no traction on 4 inches of snow....and that his tires only lasted one season.

:skid:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 02:43:15 pm »
,,THE RESULTS SAY.......Michelin X's fer Ice and Ski Country...#1 fer the BUCKs vs Performance....
...................................Dunlop  Winter Sports M3's (H& V rated) fer the  Winters in the Cities and Dry days  on the Hi-Ways......Way I see IT anyway.....IMHO!!!! GIMMO....!!!...

But anything BUT SLICKS....except fer tha :censor: after Nov1....STICK OR TREAT...the repair guy!!!!! :P

Time is to stop everything happening at once

mchev5

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 08:59:55 am »
Ok, that was an interesting answer but thanks anyways!

Can anyone answer my question in my last post -> Is there a difference between studable and non-studable tires. Logic tells me that there isn't a difference other than one can take studs but I'm no pro.

I'll report on the Hankook 404's sometime this winter to let you know how they're performing.

msian

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 10:12:43 am »
I believe the difference is the compound used in the tires but experts like Morty could correct me...

Studded tires "expects" the use of studs to aid grip in icy conditions.

Non-studded tires on the other hand, relies on the technology of the rubber compound to get grip...eg. the Blizzak microcell, Toyo's walnut-shell, Yokohama's version of microcell, etc...

morty

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 01:47:34 am »
A few of the tires offer studability as an added feature. For example the Kumho KW19 and KW11 are both studdable, but with out they still offer best in class ice and snow capability. In most cases studding is not required and is actually a detriment. No Japanese winter tires are studdable as it is illegal to manufacture a studdable winter tire in Japan. Regardless the Japanese winters are some the best currently available.