Author Topic: Beauty and the Beast  (Read 1707 times)

Offline sparky

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Beauty and the Beast
« on: October 11, 2005, 01:50:09 am »
Last night, heading east on the Queensway, I checked my side mirror and saw the old-Studebaker-style schnozz of the new Subaru Tri-something (Tribecka, Trifecta, whatever). Much to my dismay, as it passed me I realized that its ungainly snout was actually its loveliest side. Sadly, this thing also has a bulge around its beltline like a fat guiy's spare tire. And the taillights form a part of this protuberance, drawing attention to one of the most unattractive styling features of recent years. Now, styling has never Subaru's forte, but they're outdone themselves here. Photos do not do it justice. It is borderline Aztek ugly.

Moments later, I spied a gunmetal-gray roadster on the on-ramp from the 416. Sleeker than a Z-Beemer, more muscular looking than an S2000, it was an all-new shape to me. It merged and I got up close enough for a positive ID. It was a Pontiac Solstice. Photos don't do it justice either, but I mean it in a good way this time. Frankly, the thing is stunningly attractive. Hard to believe it's an entry-level roadster. If it drives anything like it looks, I want one.  8)

Offline vz64

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Beauty and the Beast
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 06:34:42 pm »
Moments later, I spied a gunmetal-gray roadster on the on-ramp from the 416. Sleeker than a Z-Beemer, more muscular looking than an S2000, it was an all-new shape to me. It merged and I got up close enough for a positive ID. It was a Pontiac Solstice. Photos don't do it justice either, but I mean it in a good way this time. Frankly, the thing is stunningly attractive. Hard to believe it's an entry-level roadster. If it drives anything like it looks, I want one.  8)

I doubt it drives as it looks. At least, a few reports I've read about Solstice did not sound not too enthusiastic. Here is a quote from Edmunds comparison test with Miata:

"... the biggest reason the Miata took this one is the simple fact that it's 10 billion times more fun to drive. It's more responsive. Its engine is livelier and its gearbox feels like it was plucked from a shifter kart. It also has more steering feel, and it stops better.

The Pontiac, although fast, just doesn't offer the same connection to the machine. It feels distant, more like a boulevard star than a true two-seat sports car. "

It seems that Solstice, like Z350, looks better than it drives.  In Subaru case, they have STi that doesn't look great (to some it looks ugly), but it does perfrom.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 02:20:20 am »
I've just seen a review that was saying the complete opposite.  The new Miata is a looker but when it comes to driving the Solstice takes it.  Miata has a nice interior and is more practical (the roof) but the Solstice has better handling and "mechanics".  The thing is that the Miata is a lot smaller than the solstice ... looks like a Go Kart beside it.
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 10:26:08 am »
...name / THAT REVIEW....since when has SIZE been important in a sportis car...beside it ony holds 3 golfballs when it's top is down....a LOOKER sure...blizzrad and Big Thumb have actually driven and commented favourably on the Solstice....will a prospective buyer ditch the Miata for a Solstice..well the pretty girls always gather a crowd but unless were Braddass PITT we nearly always marry the sensible cute one........ ???
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 10:47:48 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

morningla

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 11:45:17 am »
I've only seen the solstice on TV and I loved it.  But I've never had a pontiac, has anyone seen it at the show room?  Do they actually have that round brochure that girl made from the Apprentice?

Are you saying it drives better than the Miata but just a little bigger?  2 seater?  I'm gonna check out the website :)