Author Topic: Suggestions on Max Performance Replacement Tires  (Read 2895 times)

DD/M

Suggestions on Max Performance Replacement Tires
« on: October 07, 2005, 05:27:04 pm »
Currently I have a staggered setup on my car.  225/45ZR/17 Fronts and 245/40ZR/17 Rears running Michelin Pilot Sports.  I have to replace them in the Spring and was wondering what I could replace them with?  Something with comparable performance or better but at a lower price then the Pilots cost.  Is there anything out there?  Keep in mind I was very happy with the Sports and had excellent wear out of them.  I got 40,000km out of the Rears so far with 2/32 left on them.  They saw me through a couple of track days and a few autocrosses.  The fronts look like they have about 4/32 left.

What is your suggestion Mort?  And others?  Thanks.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Suggestions on Max Performance Replacement Tires
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 05:38:10 pm »
S03, S02, RE050, Kumho MX (although loud), R's ???

DD/M

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 05:43:34 pm »
S03, S02, RE050, Kumho MX (although loud), R's ???

All good choices.  Thing is this is also my daily driver.  My 5.0L is my fun car  ;D and I need this tire to do it all!  Haha.  I have had Toyo's in the past and currently run the Kumho's on the Mustang.  Nice tires but as for loud?  Dunno...can't hear the tires over the exhaust and engine  :skid:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 05:47:31 pm »
S03 than is my suggestion as the best all around tire.  It's expensive though.  If you want inexpensive you can try the Fuzion tires they apparently are good.

DD/M

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 05:58:19 pm »
S03 than is my suggestion as the best all around tire.  It's expensive though.  If you want inexpensive you can try the Fuzion tires they apparently are good.

Are the Fuzions made by Bridgestone?  I think Tire Trends carry these as well.  I like the Bridgestones and always wanted to try them out but are they not getting a little long in the tooth?  Michelin came out with their replacement for the Pilot SPorts and I expect Bridgestone to do so soon as well.  I wonder if Mort would know anything about possible SO3 replacement in the near future?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 06:02:59 pm »
Possibly, he's away in Cali right now though.

robarakira

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 06:04:25 pm »
245 may be a bit too wide for the front, but you just might want to think about doing the same tires all around (if your rims can handle it) so that you can rotate wear.  May save you money.

DD/M

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 06:15:18 pm »
245 may be a bit too wide for the front, but you just might want to think about doing the same tires all around (if your rims can handle it) so that you can rotate wear.  May save you money.

I have thought of this.  I have two options to do this for my car.  Find and buy two more Double spoke M3 wheels in a 17 x 8.5 to match the rears.  Apparently this does fit with the 245/40ZR 17's.  Option 2 is to use my M5 Replica rims as my summer rims.  17 x 8" all around and run 235/40ZR 17's.  THis was a stock width on the 95 M3's.  This would also decrease understeer compared to my current staggered setup. 

I like the idea of finding a couple more 8.5" stock M3 rims. Anyone have a pair for sale?  :)

03_ap1

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 07:49:54 pm »
I'm running Yokohama AVS ES100 on my s2000 - so far I'm quite happy with them, aside from a horrible wear issue, that turned out to be alignment.  They perform very well in both wet and dry, and the price is great.

morty

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 07:22:12 pm »
I am peaking in now and again.

As in the other thread...if you expect max performance, you will want to go with an appropriate tire. Going less expensive may save some monies, but may be a waste when they dont live up to your lofty expectations. Tires to consider that may not be quite as expensive are: BFG KDW (great reviews), Kumho Ecsta MX and Toyo T1-R. Of the three the KDW offes the stiffest sidewall and would be more comparable to the S03 in this department. T1-R will offer the best wet performance with dry. The Kumho MX has been a popular autocross/street tire. The new PS2 is a nice improvement in the Pilot Sport. Michelin has gone with the assymmetric tread design and I love this idea. Optimized tread pattern more solid on the outside for lateral and high-speed stability more void on the inside for water evacuation. Good reviews and I dont think you would be dissappointed when comparing to the PS. Price...that is another issue. S03 is awesome and stiff. If you like bone jarring ride and instant turn in then this is your tire. As for a replacement...it must be coming, but I havent heard anything yet. I would not classify the ES100 and Fuzion in the same as the others. Cheaper, but not the same.

You could go with the same size all around, but why ruin that beautiful staggered stance. Love the lip in the back. Some people would kill for that....

DD/M

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 10:20:19 pm »
I am peaking in now and again.

As in the other thread...if you expect max performance, you will want to go with an appropriate tire. Going less expensive may save some monies, but may be a waste when they dont live up to your lofty expectations. Tires to consider that may not be quite as expensive are: BFG KDW (great reviews), Kumho Ecsta MX and Toyo T1-R. Of the three the KDW offes the stiffest sidewall and would be more comparable to the S03 in this department. T1-R will offer the best wet performance with dry. The Kumho MX has been a popular autocross/street tire. The new PS2 is a nice improvement in the Pilot Sport. Michelin has gone with the assymmetric tread design and I love this idea. Optimized tread pattern more solid on the outside for lateral and high-speed stability more void on the inside for water evacuation. Good reviews and I dont think you would be dissappointed when comparing to the PS. Price...that is another issue. S03 is awesome and stiff. If you like bone jarring ride and instant turn in then this is your tire. As for a replacement...it must be coming, but I havent heard anything yet. I would not classify the ES100 and Fuzion in the same as the others. Cheaper, but not the same.

You could go with the same size all around, but why ruin that beautiful staggered stance. Love the lip in the back. Some people would kill for that....

You know I am all over the place with this.  :)

I think I may go with your suggestion on this(Ps2) because I have been very happy with the Pilot Sports.  I think the 225/45 in the front helps with a slightly cushier ride. The only thing about the staggered is the inability to rotate.  The rears look to be wearing about 60% quicker then the fronts.

Looks like I may be paying you a visit in the spring.  I would like to get my wheels and tires balanced on that Road Force Machine of yours.  :thumbup:

morty

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 11:41:17 pm »
It is a tough decision...practicality vs. style/performance. Boils down to what you want. Ability to rotate is a nice benefit.

As for ride...the 225/45/17 and 245/40/17 actually have the same sidewall height, so ride should be quite similar. 245 is just wider. Means more hookup for the nasty/beautiful M-power.

We now offer the RoadForce and it does make a difference. We match the tire to the wheel for the best ride possible. If you are buying the best rubber...it might as well get put on properly ;)  Let us know if we can help.