Author Topic: Advantage/s of alloy wheels vs regular steel wheels?  (Read 12275 times)

tigerb

Advantage/s of alloy wheels vs regular steel wheels?
« on: October 06, 2005, 06:19:00 am »
Other than how they look, is there any fuctional (safety/durability) of alloy wheels vs regular steel wheels?

Thanks.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Advantage/s of alloy wheels vs regular steel wheels?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 06:28:15 am »
the idea is that they will have less unsprung weight which is a good thing.  And early alloy wheels like real magnesium alloy wheels were lighter than steel.

Nowdays I think its all about looks. The really good qualiity LIGHT alloy wheels, forged, not cast are very expensive AND are generally not very happy with potholes and being rubbed against kerbs
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 10:17:35 am »
Alloy wheels CAN be lighter but you have to be careful as they can also be heavier. Depends on the quality of the wheel. There are a lot of "cheaper" wheels out there these days.

It's all Looks, Looks, Looks IMO.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

bassix

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 12:59:55 pm »
Alloy wheels = lower weight = better performance (if you like to drive the wheels off your car)

Steel wheels = less expensive = more durable

A few more things... I've known a couple of people (different vehicles, wheels, tires) that had alloy wheels and experienced recurring leaks around the rim. This can be annoying. Also if you happen to hit a large pothole (speaking from experience) it can damage your alloy wheel, which cannot be fixed. A steel wheel is stronger and can also be repaired a certain degree.

So, if you don't mind the extra cost AND you have a performance vehicle that you drive hard, get alloys. If costs are a major concern, get steel wheels.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 07:40:10 pm by bassix »

Traum

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 02:50:10 pm »
I remember reading that alloy wheels are more rigid while steelies are more prone to flexing. In agreesive manoeuvres, the more rigid alloy wheels will provide better handling.

-Rick

bassix

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 02:58:18 pm »
I remember reading that alloy wheels are more rigid while steelies are more prone to flexing. In agreesive manoeuvres, the more rigid alloy wheels will provide better handling.

-Rick
That would make sense... Something that is rigid will break before something that is flexible. However you are right that as far as handling goes, rigid is better (like stiff suspensions).

Also an alloy's less mass means that the suspension is able to work better. When something with greater mass is pushed in a direction (like a road bump), it is harder to stop and reverse it's direction (bring back in contact with the road) than something with less mass.

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +23/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 04:44:33 pm »
A lot of alloy wheels weigh just as much OR more than the cheap steel ones.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 04:50:19 pm »
Mostly for looks but the decent ones have a weight advantage. I had some 100+ wheels for my old Spitfire that quite a bit wider than the steelies and weighed a mere 8lbs each. The Riken wheels for the old Rx-7 were similarly quite light.

morty

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 01:19:26 am »
The one big advantage that steels have is price. Usually dramatically cheaper. You are also not to worried about driving through the types of road debris encountered during the winter months. Can of Black paint is a nice easy fix on a scratched or marked steel weel. Sure steels might be heavier, but we are talking simple function over aestitics. There are many who do not find the steels visually appealing and opt to go with alloys for better looks.

There is another factor to consider as well; many of the newer vehicles come with very large brakes and in these cases there are no steel wheels available. Only option for those vehicles is an alloy wheel.

bassix

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 08:44:57 am »
There is another factor to consider as well; many of the newer vehicles come with very large brakes and in these cases there are no steel wheels available. Only option for those vehicles is an alloy wheel.

That is an interesting observation... you are right. However, for those vehicles, there is usually no issue of "cost". :)

morty

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 04:45:25 pm »
Not necessarily only on expensive vehicles. Good example is the Nissan Maxima. Very popular vehicle especially with the sales rep crowd. This vehicle will only accept a 17" wheel or better. This means no steels and only alloy.

robarakira

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 05:02:58 pm »
many hubcaps are embarrassing.  A friend of mine was following a co-worker who's hubcap came off as he was driving around a corner.  My friend wondered why he didn't stop and go get it.  He said he was so embarrassed that his car was falling apart, but he did go back to search for the hubcap in the bushes later that night. 

Also funny to see cars with winter tires on.  Here in victoria, nobody has them on.  So when I see (often expensive and sporty) cars from other places in winter with black steeles it looks funny.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 05:34:41 pm »
A further issue may be (not totally certain of this) that some vehicles (eg. Murano SE, Infinity FXs) come with the complex Tire Pressure Monitoring system that require special valuv stems. Not sure these would work on a stellie even if one were available in the correct size.  ??? ???

morty

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 07:11:34 pm »
Pressure monitoring is a completely seperate consideration. The Murano is again another vehicle that will only accept alloys due to a largeer braking system

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 01:16:14 pm »

Also funny to see cars with winter tires on.  Here in victoria, nobody has them on.  So when I see (often expensive and sporty) cars from other places in winter with black steeles it looks funny.

That is what we do with the Sienna.  Although it came with steel wheels (and hubcaps), we mounted our winters on seperate steels.  As long as we buy our tires from one place, there is no charge for doing the tire changeover twice a year.  And we leave the hubcaps off in the winter as they are almost $100 each to replace.  The abuse wheels/tires take in the interor is not funny and with the cost of new wheels being what they are, it makes sense to use cheap steel wheels in the winter.  I have seen alloy wheels that have been basicly sandblasted, they do not look good after a few years like that.  FYI: My sister bought our old car, it has factory alloys and steel rims for winter.  She lives in Victoria, so you may see it running around!  And our van, when we come for visits to Grandpa in the winter.

On the Pathy, it just gets good quality LT rated tires mounted on the factory alloys.  No changeovers required.  They are pretty heavy but on an SUV, it is not about performance but looks.  Steel was not an option on the Pathy and I have not bothered to look into steel rims for it.  The alloys have stood up to whatever I have trown at them, lots of logging road travel at all times/weather conditions.
2016 Subaru Forester XT