Author Topic: Jetta tires - advice needed  (Read 3386 times)

is_dead

Jetta tires - advice needed
« on: October 02, 2005, 02:28:37 am »

I got the car ('99 Jetta) knowing it needed tires sooner rather than later and was happy with the deal. Interestingly, it turns out the tires I got are winters... Michelin XM+S300. When I looked over the car, all the way until now, I didn't pay much attention to them (knowing they were low on tread) and the M+S rating had me thinking all-seasons.

The other thing a bit strange is that the left 2 tires seem to have more tread than the right two. There is more than an eight of an inch of tread on the left two tires and less on the right two. Running my finger over them they do not feel bald but edgy (except the right rear is the lowest/almost bald in the middle). Is this type of uneven wear normal? The tires have a direction arrow which limits (am I right?) their ability to be rotated.

1st question - my original plan is to switch to all seasons for both winter and summer, which I take it is still better than the older winters?

2nd - which tires? I had my car in for an oil change and got a quote on some tires. I was thinking the Michelin MXV4+, however the guy said that he can't get me the best deal on these tires... about $180 installed apiece. He suggested the Pirelli P6 which he could do for 160 apiece. (I recognize I might save a bit elsewhere however I like this service place so far).

If my car uses the right treads a bit faster, should I find a tire that can be rotated freely to all corners?

Another thing to be aware of, is that my car is lowered. On the big bumps I wouldn't be surprised if the tires make contact with the wheel wells (although I can not detect any damage or scrape marks on the wheel wells). I acknowledge of course that lowering will affect handling of the car (the stiff suspension makes it handle like an F1 now) might there be other affects?

So Morty, opinions about the Pirelli P6? Any other tires in the segment I might consider or ask for a quote? How are the regular Michelin MXV4 S8?

Help is greatly appreciated

morty

Re: Jetta tires - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 04:21:37 am »
The tires may have been on different positions on the vehicle or come from a completely different vehicle. That tire has not been built for a long while. So, they are definitely old. Odd wear is not normal but an indication of other symptoms. A tire wearing in the middle is from over inflation.

Anything is better than worn out tires, but I would not recommend either of the 2 tires you mentioned for snow performance. As a matter of fact they will be terrible.

Rotation is mainly front to rear. So, directional tires are more than OK and easy to maintain. Even though the vehicle is lowered, the tires should not rub if they are the correct size. Double check the size with that listed on the placard in the door jam.

I cant recommend a tire for winter use unless it is a winter tire. What kind of conditions are you driving in and where are you located?

is_dead

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 12:22:45 pm »
okay, can you recommend a quality all season tire for all season use :) appropriate for a Jetta?

Unfortunately I won't be buying winter's this fall even though I am entirely supportive of the idea. Lack of cash, weariness about spending too much on my car, and I have a short commute and do not do too much highway driving. (edit: roads comment) Next fall I will know how pleased I have been with the car and will have a better idea how long I plan to keep it.

If the "performance all seasons" have slightly worse traction, am I better to drop a category into regular tires? Maybe I can save some money!

Edit: some more info. I looked in the door jam and it lists 195/65 R15 91H as well as 205/55R16s. I take it I have fifteen inch rims so I should use the former... my current tires are sllightly oversized (205/60 R15).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 01:26:31 pm by is_dead »

morty

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 05:19:42 pm »
You will want to stay with an H-Rated tire. So, tires you might consider are:

Falken ZE-512....Wonderful rain capability, great price...wont last forever, but a good value for short term
Kumho Ecsta ASX....Great wear combined with good wet...good price.
BFG Traction T/A....Great wet, great wear...little more expensive, but if you want something for the long term.

Could offer more choices, but these are reasonably priced and meet your criteria.

Traum

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 06:08:16 pm »
I second the recommendation for the Falken ZE512's. For a Jetta, you're probably looking at $100 per tire at most, and they're leaps and bounds better than the stock Michelin MX+ in almost every possible way (maybe except for treadwear).

-Rick

is_dead

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 09:15:03 pm »
Thanks Morty,
I am going to get a quote on all three. What is your opinion of the slightly wider tire I have on the car currently (205 vs 195)? The extra cm makes it look a little sportier from behind!

Traum

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 10:52:08 pm »
I'm guessing you're currently running 195/50/15 on your Jetta? Unless you get yourself a new set of 16" rims, I don't think you can run 205 rubber due to the differences in tire diameter.

-Rick

is_dead

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 01:05:25 am »
Well it's been running 205 for two years! I don't think 5mm on either side of a rim makes a difference. 205/60R15 on there and 195/65 R15 on the door. So the tires on there are slightly lower profile and a cm wider.

Morty, is this a bad idea? Sorry to keep hounding you for info....  :)

Traum

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 02:31:53 am »
I did some quick calculations, and in your case, your 205/60/15 tires are turning a little more than 1% faster than the stock 195/65/15. So your speedometer is about 1% faster than your real road speed, and the milage registers around 1% faster as well. It is also safe to assume that acceleration has worsen by 1% as well since the circumference of your wheels are now smaller. They are nothing terribly important, I suppose, but at least you should be aware of them.

-Rick

is_dead

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 10:18:09 am »
Traum, thanks for the replies... do you know if there are any advantages to the 205's? I would assume the extra width means extra grip but this is the type of thing that can surprise a person.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 10:29:46 am »
If you have a 1999.5 (new style) Jetta, the Michelins will work nicely (other options may be less expensive tho).

My '01 Golf came with wheel covers and huge-sidewalled 15" Good-for-a-years which I replaced when I bought 16" VW accessory Rave alloys, and chose Michelin MXV4+ Energy 205/60(I think)/16-ers. Shopped around and Price Costco and Niagara Battery and Tire in S Ontario had the best prices. They were still pricey, but I put on lots of km's so it was worth it to me, and I trust the Michelin brand. Am on my 2nd set now and still like the tires.

Just giving my recommendation to say they're good, but obviously there's other tires out there as well and probably at lower cost that would be comparable (as discussion has shown).
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Traum

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 01:02:42 pm »
When I upsized my tires from 205/55/16 to 225/50/16, the extra grip that I got was phenominal. Then again, I also switched from the crappy Eagle RS-A to the awesome Falken ZE-512, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

You might also want to double check that your rim is wide enough to accomodate the 205. (They probably are, considering that the difference is a mere 10mm.) My stock rims were 6" or 6.5" wide, and 225 tires were the widest ones I can safely mount on them.

-Rick

morty

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 12:20:52 am »
I'm here...205/60R15 is more than fine. A lot of customers choose to go with this size to get a little bigger contact patch. There is no negative. 1% maybe by the calculation, but there is more difference between a new and a worn out tire. Besides every manufacturer has different specs and they dont usually match up to the calculation anyways. If you want a bigger patch take the 205 and dont look back.