Author Topic: 2006 Civic has arrived at dealers!  (Read 36169 times)

soccernut

Re: 2006 Civic has arrived at dealers!
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2005, 10:31:28 pm »
sorry guys ...didn't wanna re open the can of worms...what if an alberta resident buys it first ? and re-sell it ?...sorry if i'm asking the same question for the trillionth time...just wondering what if ?

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2005, 10:46:07 pm »
If they sold it privately to someone else, they would pay only GST when they registered it (iirc).  One tax, anyway.  But that would mean the original purchaser would be out that money, or the second purchaser would have to pay it to them.  So he pays the same total, either way.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2005, 10:48:11 pm »
When the non-Alberta resident goes to register it in his home province, he pays the PST then, no matter who he bought it from. That's all there is to this - you MUST have an Alberta permenant address to avoid paying the PST. I do know of one guy here who still has a some passive business interests in Calgary and he registers his Benz thru his Calgary company. I have wondered what might happen if he has a wreck or the car is stolen as the Insurer will look thru the address and see that the car has been driven almost 100% in BC. Not a risk I would take, I don't think.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

JD

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2005, 10:48:55 pm »
That's a loop hole that was never open.. Demonthes X you have it wrong... Regardless the out of province purchaser will pay GST, but if he has a friend buy it, thensell it to him, they still only pay GST... trouble is, some provinces require that you pay PST on a used car purchase, others require that the car had PST paid on it new...  Pretty much impossible to escape.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2005, 10:49:37 pm »
Demo - no, if you are a BC resident, you will pay GST and PST on registration here - end of story.

soccernut

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2005, 12:19:59 am »
ok ....case closed....BTW...i phoned calgary honda ...asked for a new car sales rep ...i got the manager ...asked him about finance rates ...6.4%  BUT he has another bank that will give him 5.9% ...not a big difference but gives us hope...he said that he could find better deals depending on how much he "kisses ass"...lol...anyways, the moral of the story is "shop around"...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2005, 12:42:15 am »
What I meant was, in BC when you buy off a car lot (new or used), you pay 14% tax.  But when you buy privately, you pay 7% tax.  There's no way to escape paying tax...  but if the guy in Alberta buys it brand new at 7% tax, could he not then sell it to someone in BC, who would then pay 7% tax, as it was a private sale?  Thus avoiding paying the 14% he would by buying it from a lot in BC?

sandeater

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2005, 03:54:30 am »
I test drove an 06 Civic EX sedan tonight and I wasn't impressed.  First off, I drive a Mazda3 Sport GT so bear in mind I'm comparing the Civic to that and my brother's Mazda3 GS Sedan.

I'd have to say it looks pretty nice inside and outside.  The front end looks a bit strange but it grows on you.  The back end on the other hand is gorgeous. Overall, I'd give the look a thumbs up cuz it don't look like anything else on the road. 

Interior is pretty nice as well.  Lots of nicely textured plastics and at times, it felt like I was sitting in an Acura RSX.  The radio controls and buttons are easy to reach and has a nice feel to them.  The smaller but fat steering wheel is great and the bi-level dash is a bit different but effective.  Interior space is comparable to my Mazda3 Sport although it seems to have more shoulder room.  I HATED the power window/mirror/lock switches and the black plastic part of the door armrest.  These controls are really cheap and cheesy looking which is weird considering the quality of the other parts of the cabin.  Also, I think the quality of the seat cloth is not up to par with my Mazda3.  I'd give the interior a thumbs up as well although I think my car looks and feels better inside for the most part.

Handling-wise, it's ok compared to my Mazda3 and pretty good for what it is.  I wasn't able to take any fast corners but it seemed to exhibit little body roll when cornering and it handled bumpy roads well. I felt the Mazda3 is a more responsive car compared to the Civic and was dissapponted with the steering feel as it is nothing compared to my car.  It feels disconnected and over-servoed;  I would say the current generation Corolla has better steering feel than this car.  Interior noise level is noticeably higher than in my brother's 3 although  still fairly quiet.

Those are my observations from driving this car for about 10 minutes around some bumpy roads in Vancouver's South Granville area. 

Overall, if I had to choose between the 2 cars, I would definitely pick the Mazda3.  It handles and feels like a better car to me.  I'm pretty disappointed with the fact that Honda had 2 years to make a car that could beat the Mazda3 across the board but couldn't do it.  I was expecting this car to kick my car's ass but I came away more impressed by what Mazda has done.  That being said, this car will sell well as most buyers won't be as picky as me.

I'd love to try one of them coupes....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2005, 07:32:40 pm »
Mazda has done a great job for "Drivers"  some people won't care about steering feel as you do.  I agree with you the Mazda is excellent, I can't wait to test drive the civic.  If it is as you say here, I'd rather have a mazda 3 anyways.  Kicker could be gas mileage though the civic should be less thirsty.  But the Mazda isn't that bad, and the Mazda GS should be cheaper on insurance than the civic.

paulk

« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2005, 01:18:48 am »
I test drove a Civic Coupe EX with a manual transmission this afternoon.  I agree that the steering is a little loose, but it's better than prior generation Civics in my opinion.  Road noise was extremely low, but the EX comes with additional sound dampening material under the hood and quieter tires, so lower trims may be a bit louder.  I loved the engine!  Finally a Civic with good low-end torque.  You no longer have to rev it high to get it a little spirited.  Couldn't fault the engine anywhere.  Some people will complain it's too quiet, even at 4500-5000 rpm, but most of those people will gravitate towards the Si anyway.  On the other hand, the interior is impressing me less and less.  This was my third visit to see the new Civics, and I was a little dazzled by the interior the first time around, but now the hard plastic is beginning to get to me.  The hard plastic on the shift knob feels chintzy and calls attention to the hard plastic on the dash.  I miss the chrome ring around the shift boot that the last generation Civics had.  Now it's just a hard plastic panel with a silvery colour.  Also, the seat material has a "design" on them that looks like someone scribbled on a piece of paper with magic marker and then that drawing was used for the upholstery.  The driver's seat was already beginning to look a bit worn.  That said, having the seat height adjustment on all trim levels is very nice.

All in all, I think it's a much better car than the last generation Civic on all counts except the interior materials which are a step backwards.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2005, 01:24:22 am »
There is an available trim kit for the new Civic.  I wonder if Honda will see a lot of people opting for it?  On that note, has anyone seen a car with the optional trim kit?  I'd like to know how it looks...

hndaadct

« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2005, 09:59:45 am »
Demo are you talking about the body kit? If you are I saw the coupe with one. To be honest i barely noticed it other than the little lip spoiler (and the price sheet that mentioned it).

a4_tom

« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2005, 07:35:55 pm »
The lack of feel seems like the most common complaint of cars with electric power steering. Carmakers still haven't found out a proper way to tune cars with this kind of steering technology.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2005, 07:48:59 pm »
Tom, I disagree with that :)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2005, 08:20:22 pm »
Sorry, should have been clear.  There's an INTERIOR trim kit available for ~$200.  Carbon fiber simulation sort of thing.

I've never thought the Honda stock body kit was very impressive...  for about the same you should be able to find and mount aftermarket kit.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2005, 08:38:18 pm »
What I meant was, in BC when you buy off a car lot (new or used), you pay 14% tax.  But when you buy privately, you pay 7% tax.  There's no way to escape paying tax...  but if the guy in Alberta buys it brand new at 7% tax, could he not then sell it to someone in BC, who would then pay 7% tax, as it was a private sale?  Thus avoiding paying the 14% he would by buying it from a lot in BC?

Are you listening to yourself?

Fred decides he can do better than to pay $20K + 14% tax in BC ($22,800), so he calls his friend Bob in Alberta.

Bob buys a Civic in Alberta for $20K + GST = $21,400.  Next day, sells it to Fred in BC.  Fred pays $21,400 + 7% PST = $22,898.

Fred, not having passed Grade 6 math, pays $98 more (plus all the hassle and the loss of his friendship with Bob) by this convoluted method.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2005, 11:15:26 pm »
Excellant, cph, if the stars were available, you'd have 5 from me for that one. Can we please put this tax thing to bed for good. If there were a legal way to beat the tax, it would have been discovered by now. Of course, you could always change your ancestory to Native and live on the Reserve Lands to avoid the taxes altogether, but for most of us, that's not practical.

:banghead: O0

mdxtasy

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2005, 11:20:14 pm »
A friend of mine went to check out the new Civic intending to order the Si.  Came away less than impressed and has now decided to move onto something else.  Not everybody loves it....but many will.

Traum

« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2005, 11:34:44 pm »
The Si is almost a different beast of its own compared to the regular Civic coupes though. I suggest that your friend return to the dealership once the real Si arrives.

-Rick

mdxtasy

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2005, 11:36:16 pm »
It wasn't the ride or anything that was bad, it was the actual shape of the car and the disappointing interior.  The instrumentation and such were great, but the 'feel' of the interior did nothing.  The shape also did nothing to stir the emotions....