Author Topic: Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio?  (Read 9145 times)

MyBubbles

Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio?
« on: September 25, 2005, 08:15:15 pm »
Hi Everyone

I'm looking at new cars and have narrowed things down to a 2005 Hyundai Accent 5 door or a 2006 Kia Rio5.  Both of them are great looking cars and have all the features I'm looking for (except cruise control).  I've driven each of them and both handle well.  The Accent is pretty peppy and I easily had it going 120 on the highway and could have gotten it to go faster with little effort.  The Rio seemed to have less get up and go.  It also had a real buzzy kind of sound when excelerating quickly.  Almost like it was revving to high.  They have different engines in them.  The Rio has the new VVI engine.  Maybe that's why it's loud.  Sounds like it's screaming at me.  It doesn't seem to like to be pushed.  The Accent seemed to like it.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts on these two vehicles?

Thanks

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 10:50:24 am »
Well the Rio is a new generation, so just for that, I'd go for the Rio. The new generation Accent is coming soon, but it will most likely be very similar to the Rio. So go with the Rio, get the best deal you can and be happy.

JD

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 11:27:19 am »
If you search the website, you'll find a big(ish) thread on the 2006 Rio.  I posted a quick snippet of my test drive in it.

I have driven both the '05 Accent and the all-new '06 Rio5, and was much more impressed with the Rio5...  It felt more like a Toyota, with precise switchgear and solid feeling doors and all around construction...

If I had to choose between these two and was buying in the next month, I'd get a Rio5...  But since I'm not, I will wait and see what the hatchback Accent looks like, as it will have SAB and ABS, two of the three things (cruise is the third, and neither the 06 accent or rio5 will offer it) that the Rio doesn't have.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 11:53:37 am »
I'd take the accent simply because of the way I was treated at the KIA dealership a couple of weeks ago. Look for the thread "Kia cost cutting safety" .... or something to that effect, in the General Automotive Board. You'll notice in the thread that ABS is no longer available, even as an option for the 06 Rio. Not sure if this is true for the accent or not.

JD

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 03:03:11 pm »
You'll notice in the thread that ABS is no longer available, even as an option for the 06 Rio. Not sure if this is true for the accent or not.

If you look at my post right above yours, you'll see that both ABS and SABs will be available on the Accent.  SABs will be standard, ABS will either be part of an options package or stand-alone.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 03:11:17 pm »
any cruise at all on the Accent?

JD

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 03:43:41 pm »
Wing:  As I mentioned, the 2006 Rio has no cruise, ABS or SABs...  The 2006 Accent, as I said above, rectifies this by 67%, adding standard SAB's and optional ABS... However www.hyundaiaccent.com (US Hyundai Accent micro-site)  makes no mention of Cruise, 'nor can cruise be found listed on any websites talking about the new Accent...

So it looks like aftermarket cruise is the only option :(

I am still holding out for one of the overseas markets to get availble cruise control, then we can order the parts and retrofit it...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 03:46:48 pm »
This is silly, Cruise use to be a fancy option.  Then it became mainstream.  Now it seems like manufacturers are cost cutting and removing it.

The one that bothers me the most is cars with drive-by-wire as cruise on these systems are a joke!

avtoller

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 03:52:52 pm »
This is silly, Cruise use to be a fancy option.  Then it became mainstream.  Now it seems like manufacturers are cost cutting and removing it.

The one that bothers me the most is cars with drive-by-wire as cruise on these systems are a joke!

Can you explain this comment please? I am planning to have cruise with my drive-by-wire Yaris, so I'd really like to know.  ???

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 03:56:50 pm »
I wasn't very clear.  I meant that cars with drive-by-wire that do not offer cruise as standard is a joke.  It's as simple as software on the ECM  The same software controls the acceleration via the pedal would simply need a flag to say "stay on"  And possibly a flag for turn off when brake is hit or buttons pushed.

It's 2005 almost 2006, really all cars should have cruise it costs next to nothing to implement for the manufacturer.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 03:57:43 pm »
I don't follow that comment, Wing, either. I have cruise and DBW on the HL and have no problem with it. Don't understand what you mean??  ???

Edit - OK, that wasn't clear but is now, I would agree with that comment.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 04:27:21 pm »
You'll notice in the thread that ABS is no longer available, even as an option for the 06 Rio. Not sure if this is true for the accent or not.

If you look at my post right above yours, you'll see that both ABS and SABs will be available on the Accent. SABs will be standard, ABS will either be part of an options package or stand-alone.

I was referring to the 05 accents, I know they don't have SAB's but I wasn't sure about ABS.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 05:27:47 pm »
The original poster somehow looks familiar to me  :hello:
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline infinitime

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 05:28:31 pm »
My vote's for the upcoming Accent, if you can wait... here's why:

1) Although Hyundai and Kia have "equivalent" models built on the same platforms: i.e. Sonata-Magentis, Elantra-Spectra, Tucson-Sportage... the general rule of thumb (according to one Korean auto magazine) is that the Hyundai is generally built to a higher spec (i.e. better quality control), and would warrant a slightly higher price...  This was very evident to me when I test drove back-to-back the Tucson and the Sportage... It is also evident when you look at Consumer Report reliability ratings.

2) Although Korean cars GENERALLY have weaker resale values, Hyundais CONSISTENTLY tend to yield a higher resale value than the Kia;

3) There are more Hyundai dealerships than Kia dealerships in Canada, if you move and need to find a dealership, it is more likely that you will find a Hyundai dealership;

4) There will most likely be more Accents on the road than Rios, while this should not be an immediate concern for you today, it may be a concern several years down the road, when you may need to find used parts from wreckers... yes, it is silly to think THAT far in advance, but speaking as someone who used to own a Merkur, it is incredible how relevant this factor is, when your car is 10+ years old, and the dealership refuses to order an obscure part and your only option is the junkyard... I will venture to guess that a used fender for example, would be easier to find for an Accent than a Rio; and

5) The NEW Accent looks better! (IMHO)!

Cheers,
Infinitime

avtoller

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 05:51:23 pm »
Thanks for the clarification about cruise & drive-by-wire. From my understanding of DBW, gleaned from these boards, I had assumed that cruise would work more naturally with this system. Your comment now makes sense to me as well.  ;D

munk

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 06:29:02 pm »
I wasn't very clear.  I meant that cars with drive-by-wire that do not offer cruise as standard is a joke.  It's as simple as software on the ECM  The same software controls the acceleration via the pedal would simply need a flag to say "stay on"  And possibly a flag for turn off when brake is hit or buttons pushed.

It's 2005 almost 2006, really all cars should have cruise it costs next to nothing to implement for the manufacturer.

It makes perfect sense. This way auto manufacturers can package cruise with other items nobody cares about and make more profit ...  ::)

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 08:01:33 pm »
Canadians are cheap prix.  Canadians in general would rather save $100 then get airbags.  Gimme now, consequences later.

BTW, my vote if you have to buy now is Rio.  If you can wait, Accent in spring.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 05:29:08 pm »
Siraquaman, check your pms.

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 08:43:22 pm »
damn curise would be really nice with those cars ...

so yeah any word when the 2006 accent is going to come over here? or should i just go out and buy the rio5 2006
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 09:02:31 pm by philmcneal »
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 01:09:14 pm »
Thanks Neil.

She wound up with a new '06 Accent5 in smokey grey-blue! She sent me photos but they're too large to post here. Looks very smart with the accessory spoiler on the back.

She's very giddy with her 'new baby'!  ;D  Thanks!