Author Topic: Rim sizes and offset questions  (Read 2714 times)

john_ertw

Rim sizes and offset questions
« on: September 25, 2005, 09:30:16 am »
I am hoping someone can answer a few questions I have on rim size.  My current car has 16" rims with a 5X114.3mm bolt pattern and a 64.1mm hub.  The offset is 55mm.

I'm looking at a car that also has 16" rims with the same bolt pattern, but the offset is only 45mm.

Would I have any problems using my existing rims on the car with the smaller offset?
From what I understand, offset is the distance the wheel centre sits from the hub.  Is this correct?  What is the effect of using the wrong offset?

Also my current car uses 205/60R16 sized tires while the car I'm looking at comes with 205/55R16 tires.  This is a 3.2% difference in diameter which is just over the recommended 3% limit.  When combined with the difference in offset can this cause additional problems?

robarakira

Re: Rim sizes and offset questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 12:28:48 pm »

morty

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 04:37:29 pm »
Well first thing is the higher offset will mean the wheel will be sucked in to your wheel well more. This could mean that you will have rubbing on the suspension or inner parts of your fender. Also, might look a little silly. You will likely aslo have a different centre bore from vehicle to vehicle. Sounds like these wheels would be from a Honda and you are putting them on a Mazda or something. If the wheels do not centre porperly on the hub you may end up with vibration issues. You should be able to get rings to compensate for this. Larger tire size is not something we are proponents for...make sure the tires have enough carrying capacity for the vehicle. With the larger tire you are also more prone to rubbing issues. If you are determined to find out a trial fit is always in order.

Give me an idea of what vehicle these wheels are from and going on and I may be able to clarify a little more

03_ap1

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 08:19:26 pm »
if you go from stock55mm to 45mm, then your wheels/tires are going to stick out more, not get sucked in.  10mm may not be a big deal if you keep the same width of tire.

morty

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 09:19:05 pm »
If you are taking wheels from a car that have +55 offset and putting them on a car that normally has +45...then the wheels will appear to be sucked in. Remember the wheels are still +55 even if you change vehicles ;)