Author Topic: RAV4: Toyota’s little sport-ute grows up  (Read 20656 times)

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Re: RAV4: Toyota’s little sport-ute grows up
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 08:20:41 pm »
I'm looking forward to trying the new Rav. The wife and I are trying to decide on a new vehicle as my name shows (currently have an 87 Civic).

The CR-V is a little more than we want to spend, the Rav is a touch smaller than we want, the Tucson has the V6, when we want the better fuel economy of the 4. I love how the back seats fold down in the Tucson, much better than in the CR-V, makes a huge difference.

I'm hoping the new Rav manages to put all these features together in one car.

Didn't you just describe the X-Trail?

froggy

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 08:57:33 pm »
We went to the Nissan dealer to try teh X_trail, but we just did not like the interior at all...
You should look at the Subaru Forester CR-V/Tucson/Rav4 , it might not be as good looking as the RAV4 but the trunk is cavernous... Final decision was in between the RAV4 and the Forester, but as the car is for the senorita, looks prevailed (+ Trunk space was not such a cocern)

CR-V/Tucson/Rav4

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 09:59:01 pm »
We looked at the X-Trail, but just didn't like it much. Space seemed less than the others, particularly in height below the windows. We have some fairly tall stuff we haul for camping, and like to keep it stacked below the window lines so it's not affecting visibility at all. Of course it can be tough to judge without hauling everything down to the dealer, we talk about doing a "bin test" as we get closer to buying. And the lack of any coverage by Consumer Reports hurts as well.

The Forester seemed much the same, very low clearance from floor to windows in the back, with the tire in the trunk. The whole vehicle seemed more wagon than SUV to us, and frankly, I want to be a little higher when driving, after having the Civic for so long.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2005, 11:00:52 am »
Hey, they're all good choices.  Rav4/Tucson/CR-V/Forester and X-Trail are the best solutions in the category, though they all differ slightly in execution.  We narrowed it down to X-Trail and Forester before deciding, though I probably gave the CR-V the cold shoulder too soon because of the quirky interior.

To get history on the X-Trail, you have to listen to Aussies - they've had them for a few years.  The only notable problem with them was with the diesel originally offered, since corrected, but not even offered here so it doesn't really matter.  See www.nissanforums.com

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2005, 12:01:49 pm »
maybe you should look at a diesel option??

have u already tried the Jeep Lib diesel? the MSRP for the Sport model starts at $ 33845.00 and already includes a 5 speed automatic transmission. I think its worth a look or at least a test drive. :P

JD

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005, 03:08:43 pm »
Liberty Diesel Is a bad idea... The engine is an ancient 2.8L hunk of iron... It's loud, noisy and smelly... A very, crude and crappy diesel...  IMO, buy a Japanese/Koren SUV and wait a few years for Honda/Toyota to bring over their quiet and powerful diesel engines, once the new low-sulphur content diesel becomes available in North America...   By that time Diamler-Chrysler might have also brought over some of their good diesels!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2005, 05:24:13 pm »
JD could you please provide the link where you found this information?

I have some information you should read:

Auburn Hills, MI - The 2.8-liter CRD is among today's advanced diesel engines that emit 60 percent less emissions than diesel engines of 20 years ago," said Craig Love, Vice President - Rear Wheel Drive Product Team and Core Team Leader. "Additionally, the noise, vibration and harshness issues that plagued older diesel-powered vehicles have been dramatically reduced in the Liberty diesel. The result is that the legendary capability of the Jeep Liberty reaches a new level of performance with the 2.8-liter diesel engine."

The Jeep Liberty is the first mid-size sport-utility vehicle available with a diesel engine in the U.S. The 2.8-liter CRD boasts three best-in-class stats: 295 lb-ft of torque (400 Nom) @ 1,800 rpm; driving range of approximately 500 miles; and towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. The engine produces 160 horsepower and gets an estimated fuel economy of 22 miles city and 27 miles highway.

The 2.8-liter CRD is an enhanced version of the four-cylinder diesel engine currently offered on this vehicle in Europe. VM Motori, which is owned in part by Detroit Diesel, a DaimlerChrysler company, is the manufacturer of the engine. VM Motori has been supplying the Chrysler Group diesel engines since 1992 for minivans and Jeep products sold in Europe.

The 2.8-liter diesel uses an advanced common rail direct injection fuel system. Direct injection of fuel into an open combustion chamber is more efficient than a pre-chamber indirect injection configuration. The system in the 2.8-liter CRD operates at fuel pressures nearly 70 percent above the older distributor pump systems, producing finer atomization, leaner combustion and higher power. At the same time, direct injection provides inherently lower engine-out hydrocarbon exhaust emissions and lower NOx emissions. A high pressure pump driven by the cog belt from the camshaft supplies fuel at up to nearly 24,000 psi. The pump's electronic control system responds to fuel demand and delivers the optimal fuel pressure, injection timing and injection duration.

Injectors on the 2.8-liter diesel have been improved so that fuel burns more thoroughly, producing fewer particulates and lower emissions than previous generation diesel engines.

An electronically controlled variable geometry turbocharger improves control of boost pressure, reducing emissions and improving full load engine power and torque. The turbocharger features moveable vanes that allow it to act like a small turbocharger under launch conditions. At higher engine speeds it acts like a larger turbocharger. The benefit to customers is enhanced low-end and high-end torque. Meanwhile, a vacuum reservoir improves cold launch performance by allowing the turbo to spool up faster from idle, which minimizes turbo lag.

The Liberty diesel engine uses two pilot injections prior to the main injection. This system prepares the cylinders for the main injection of fuel, which helps to smooth out the main combustion and quiet the engine, especially at idle.

In another improvement, the 2.8-liter diesel uses electronically controlled ceramic "smart" glow plugs with a warm-up time of only two seconds. They assist with low ambient temperature start conditions and only glow when needed. This is an advance over older, timer-operated glow plugs that require up to 10 seconds of warm-up prior to engine start.

and here is the link:
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/04august/jeep_kj_diesel_tranny.asp

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 10:56:48 pm »
Given all those choices I'd go with the Subaru Impreza wagon.
2.5 Sport Wagon starts at $23,495 and includes side air bags.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

vt

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2005, 10:45:32 pm »
RAV will still be built in Japan.  It will be available with 4 cyl by end of this year and 6 cyl in early 2006.  It will be a liitle larger than the current but still not nearly as big as the Highlander.  Despite the outrageous gas prices, our SUV sales are actually up this year????  A lot of customer complaints about no V6 on previous models and that there hasn't been enough space in the rear, so I guess Toyota wanted to address that.  There's been a lot of interest in the showroom about it and people seem to be waiting for pricing on the 06.  It's still a great vehicle for the money!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2005, 01:53:44 am »
So, vt, you're saying that the increase in size of the RAV plus the availability of a 268 hp V6 (right?) engine will not put the RAV into competition with the Highlander?

It seems to me it will compete with the HL and I wonder what Toyota's corporate thinking is on that?

What's your take on this as a Toyota Sales Mgrr??
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

mdxtasy

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2005, 02:04:23 am »
"The package is bigger inside as well as out (107mm longer and nearly 80mm wider), with ample room now for five."

Not sure that's PLENTY of room for 5 but the extra girth and length will help as this new RAV has grown quite a bit. 

"The rear seats offer 168mm of travel and fold flat for cargo without the need to remove headrests or seat cushions. A single level near the tailgate actuates this EasyFlat seating system."

They finally addressed the issues I had with the RAV (a very poorly designed cargo area/folding seat system)...that and how the cargo cover hits the C pillars when you try to fold it up...but I assume the extra length in the cargo area will resolve that issue as well. 

My view is that the new RAV is going to target more than a few Highlander buyers.  It's extra oomph in V6 and the increase in size make it a very similar package.  Given that, the HL is due for a re-design is it not?  With the 4Runner occupying the true offroad SUV and the RAV stepping into the midsize arena, the HL seems to have no real place to go.  Perhaps the HL will take the route of a Prius and offer only alternative fuel as a drivetrain.  Toyota has the entire truck/SUV s"pectrum covered....

boytoys

Re: RAV4: Toyota�s little sport-ute grows up
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2005, 04:37:54 am »
Did you guys notice this version of the RAV 4 has another row of seats. i see seat belts at the back. This is overlapping the Highlander market for sure..

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos.cfm/photoid/3050913.004/pageview/photo/photo/1019/page/1/size/regular/toyota/1.html

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2005, 06:40:33 pm »
The 3rd row in the Toyota Highlander is useless ... except if your a 8 y/o kid.  I almost died back there when I tried it  ;D.  I don't see how a "smaller" vehicule could make this 3rd row practical.  Maybe if you own a circus and you have midgets!
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2005, 06:45:36 pm »
Therefore the 3rd row in the new RAV will be even more useless. In fact, I have seen few 3rd rows seats an adult would want to spend more than a few minutes in. Useless is right.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2005, 09:29:23 am »
Ovr do YOU own a Circus!!!?......or does yer "tent" just go up by itself......!!! :P......I suppose the 3rd row seating is the "new,bragging rights symbol" about whose is BIGGER.......in reality Soccer Moms or other "chauffeurs" of lil dahlins will use them occassionally THEN FOLD THEM DOWN fer luggage and "crapolla"......tryin' to persuade the MiniVan set to drop by and TRY a 3 row SUV...good marketing eh ! Jeffy.......where has the Jeffster been lately....is he tryin ta reproduce his BEST WORK in the BOARDS ROOM......yawn..it must be a 3 hour commute frum Kettle Creek, Cattle Croak,BS Ranch or whatever OUTPOST he now lives in...bet he misses YokelVille wif all the HOT babes & CARS...!!!!! :P.........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

swishguy

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2005, 09:59:35 am »
Gonna take a hard look at this one. I love the drive train(honda 250 hp V-6) in my Saturn Vue but the rest of the vehicle is kinda behind in technology & fit & finish. I love the 30 mpg hi-way & 250 hp but wish the rest of the vehicle was made better. I have owned most of the sport utes out there & I am spoiled by the price; mpg. & hp of the Vue.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2005, 10:02:03 am »
That blonde chick in the Vue is HOTTT!!!!!! :P :love: :stick:

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2005, 10:10:09 am »
Therefore the 3rd row in the new RAV will be even more useless. In fact, I have seen few 3rd rows seats an adult would want to spend more than a few minutes in. Useless is right.

The Freestyle is the smallest vehicle in which I was reasonably comfortable in its 3rd row seats. For some reason, it was much more comfortable than the 3rd row seats found in the Highlander, Pilot/MDX and even the non-XL Yukon.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2005, 10:14:07 am »
Saf - you run the only Circus that I go to on a regular basis..... ::) ;D

Third row or three ring - doesn't matter to me.. 8)

mdxtasy

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2005, 04:29:42 pm »
Saf - you run the only Circus that I go to on a regular basis..... ::) ;D

Third row or three ring - doesn't matter to me.. 8)

Saf's a one man show.