Author Topic: RAV4: Toyota’s little sport-ute grows up  (Read 20661 times)

s60

RAV4: Toyota’s little sport-ute grows up
« on: September 21, 2005, 07:57:53 pm »
The new model has a 2.2-litre unit as the base engine in most markets, in which form it has a gross weight of 2,190kg, making it more of a middleweight than a lightweight. It is nearly five metres long (4,935mm), 1,815mm wide and had a 2,560mm wheelbase. There is not much difference in height, however, and the car looks relatively sleek, with a drag coefficient of 3.1.
The package is bigger inside as well as out (107mm longer and nearly 80mm wider), with ample room now for five. The rear seats offer 168mm of travel and fold flat for cargo without the need to remove headrests or seat cushions. A single level near the tailgate actuates this EasyFlat seating system.

New to RAV4 are optitron gauges, cruise control with lever-operated brake deceleration and dual-zone automatic air conditioning.

A new rear suspension and bigger rear overhang increase cargo space by an impressive 25 percent.

Toyota will offer two diesel engines for the RAV4 in Europe. North America gets an uprated 2.4-cylinder Camry engine generating 165ps and a newly developed 3.5-litre V6 that will make the car even heavier but also offer 268 horsepower and enough grunt to haul a 1,590kg trailer. The current limit if 680kg.

A key feature of the new package is an ‘Integrated Active Drive’ in which electronic stability control works with power steering to add steering assistance, continuously monitoring and controlling understeer or oversteer to help the driver. IAD works in conjunction the four-wheel-drive mechanism to manage torque distribution.

Two diesels and one gasoline engine are available. The latter is a 2.0L VVT-i four-cylinder that produces 150ps and enables RAV4 to complete 0-100km/h (0-62mph) in a creditable 10.6 seconds.

The oil-burners are new 2.2L D4-D units putting out 135ps and 175ps, both mated to a six-speed manual. The more powerful of the two delivers 400Nm of torque.

http://www.auto-asia.com/viewcontent.asp?pk=10264

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: RAV4: Toyota’s little sport-ute grows up
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:32:35 pm »
There has been much chit-chat on Toyota forums on Edmunds.com and other site about the new RAV4 with the V6 option. Some posters like the idea of a bigger RAV and more power; others do not. One thing that is confusing all posters, and me included, is why Toyota is upping the RAV size to almost the same as today's Highlander and giving it an engine option stronger than today's V6 HL. 'Course the HL is due for new in 2007 so maybe it will grow also. I like the size of my '05 HL and I have all the power I need in the V6.

Guess time will tell on this one.  ??? ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline sparky

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 09:12:50 am »
I think the current RAV filled a nice niche, being a bit smaller and more agile than its competitors. It was big enough for the millions who bought it. Was anyone really asking for a bigger one? And does this mean the new Highlander will have to reach Expedition-like proportions to differentiate it from the RAV? If Toyota could have foreseen the rapid spike in gas prices, their strategy might have been different.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 11:40:56 am »
I think the current RAV filled a nice niche, being a bit smaller and more agile than its competitors. It was big enough for the millions who bought it. Was anyone really asking for a bigger one? And does this mean the new Highlander will have to reach Expedition-like proportions to differentiate it from the RAV? If Toyota could have foreseen the rapid spike in gas prices, their strategy might have been different.

Agreed. I liked the RAV for what it was. The new one isn't a RAV in spirit at all to me.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

avtoller

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 11:48:59 am »
How long is it going to take Toyota to re-enter the cute-ute market? I thought that they had almost gotten it right the last time, and now they have abandoned the segment.  :( I haven't heard any rumors about a true RAV4 replacement. Has anyone else?  ???

smainville

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 11:52:14 am »
Too bad they opted to leave the spare on the door.

avtoller

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 11:57:14 am »
Too bad they opted to leave the spare on the door.

:iagree: I find that a terrible feature. Poor for visibility and expensive in an accident - but it makes it look like a REAL SUV.  :think: :thumbdown: :P

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 12:02:31 pm »
As to the spare tire on the rear door, having driven a '04 RAV for 15 months, I can say that the spare mounted there does NOT hinder visibility in any way IMO. As to creating additional cost in an accident, maybe so and maybe not. Some say that the tire there tends to diminish the damage to the rear part of the vehicle. Don't know who's correct. One thing I did not like about it there was that the rear door is heavier than it need be (although it swung sideways for ease of opening).

The spare tire mounted undernearth the vehicle is no fun either, if you have to use it... ;)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 12:15:43 pm »
I like the spare on the door myself.

I think the real issue is the previous RAVs had not real rear bumper.

avtoller

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 12:19:58 pm »
A comparison was done between repair cost of the Forester, CR-V, RAV4, and a couple others in terms of repair costs in accidents. Backing up into a pole cost vastly more for those vehicles with the spare on the door.

SAM's point is a good one though, The RAV4 had no bumper other than the tire. As I said, they had ALMOST gotten it right IMO.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 12:24:13 pm »
One thing that is confusing all posters, and me included, is why Toyota is upping the RAV size to almost the same as today's Highlander and giving it an engine option stronger than today's V6 HL.

I have the same question regarding the Mitsu Outlander and how the Endeavor fits into the picture.  See the thread in this very board.

It seems like the "supersizing" of products is not limited to food, nor is the trend showing any signs of slowing in the face of higher gas prices.   ???
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 12:25:26 pm »
10 months with a 2000 RAV4 here. The rear spare is mounted low enough so that there isn't really a visibility issue with it so much as a looks issue (subjective, I don't like it as much as some do) and a practicality issue (the big heavy rear door can be awkward and inconvenient). At least in Europe there's a version of the 2006 model without the rear spare.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 12:32:01 pm »
There has been much chit-chat on Toyota forums on Edmunds.com and other site about the new RAV4 with the V6 option. Some posters like the idea of a bigger RAV and more power; others do not. One thing that is confusing all posters, and me included, is why Toyota is upping the RAV size to almost the same as today's Highlander and giving it an engine option stronger than today's V6 HL. 'Course the HL is due for new in 2007 so maybe it will grow also. I like the size of my '05 HL and I have all the power I need in the V6.

Guess time will tell on this one. ??? ???

I think the main difference and what will make the HL continue to sell is its refinement. A friend of mine used to own an HL and I was very impressed by the ride. Felt luxury car. While I'm not saying the RAV is a cheap with no refinement, the HL definately has a bit of a justification in the price in my opinion. It's like the old tiresome debate that some had a couple years ago when the mazda3 came out and the new Volvo S40 came out. Some didn't understand why someone would pay the extra cash for the base S40. The difference is in the ride, quality and refinement.

avtoller

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 12:35:39 pm »
I will cede the visibility issue. I have not driven the RAV4, my comment was based upon two other vehicles I drove with spares on the rear door.  :P ;D

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 01:08:04 pm »
Having had both the RAV and the HL, I certainly concur with Bullet's comments below. Not wishing to dis the RAV and I know there are RAV owners on here; but the ride, noise level and comfort in the HL are miles above the that of the RAV. The RAV is more nimble around town and obviously cheaper to operate. Particularily the noise level of the HL is very low - this thing feels like a Lexus.

It's hard to know what the new, larger RAV will ride like, or what the NVH quotient will be til it's here. HL sales may, in fact, stay strong if the RAV continues to be the little brother in terms of refinement.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 02:20:38 pm »
I hope it does stay less refined than the Highlander. The driving characteristics and size of the current RAV4 make it far more appealing to me than the big, cushy, automatic-only Highlander. Perhaps the new RAV4 will be positioned as the sporty alternative to the similarly-sized but more family-oriented Highlander. The 3.5 V6 is a very strong performer in the Avalon so the RAV4 V6 will certainly have that going for it.

atm

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 10:15:51 pm »
Does anybody know where the RAV 4 2006 is manufactured?  Is it still in Japan?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 10:17:32 pm »
Yes, far as I know it's still Japan.

avtoller

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 10:22:03 pm »
For those who have not seen these, some more new RAV4 pix:

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos.cfm/photoid/3050913.004/toyota/1.html

CR-V/Tucson/Rav4

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 08:03:57 pm »
I'm looking forward to trying the new Rav. The wife and I are trying to decide on a new vehicle as my name shows (currently have an 87 Civic).

The CR-V is a little more than we want to spend, the Rav is a touch smaller than we want, the Tucson has the V6, when we want the better fuel economy of the 4. I love how the back seats fold down in the Tucson, much better than in the CR-V, makes a huge difference.

I'm hoping the new Rav manages to put all these features together in one car.