Author Topic: MazdaSpeed6 en route...  (Read 11463 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
MazdaSpeed6 en route...
« on: September 12, 2005, 10:58:50 am »
I heard it was because Mazda engineers and product planners were already stretched with MX-5 Miata and Mazda5, but whatever. I would have prefered lower highway revving (Mazdas tend to rev high anyhow), but I'm sure a guy like Snowy would appreciate this. Interesting that overseas will now have the US setup.

Mazda exec: It's my fault
Product developer delays MazdaSpeed6 for different gear ratio

By Mark Rechtin
Automotive News / September 12, 2005

The MazdaSpeed6, which was to arrive in dealerships in June, will now hit showrooms this month.

MONTEREY, Calif. - It's my fault.

How often do you hear those words in the auto industry?

But at Mazda North American Operations, Robert Davis is falling on his sword.

Davis, Mazda's senior vice president of product development and quality, is taking the blame for delaying the U.S. launch of the MazdaSpeed6.

The high-performance sedan was to have arrived at car dealerships in June with a base sticker of $28,555, including destination. But 30 days before Job 1, Davis wouldn't sign off on the North American edition of the car. As a result, the MazdaSpeed6 will not arrive until late September.

Davis' problem: He felt the transmission's final drive was not right for the U.S. market. The final drive is the last set of gears before power is delivered to the wheels. The drive determines the speed ratio between the drive shafts and wheels.

Initially, the U.S. versions had a lower final-drive ratio for lower engine revs while freeway cruising. The ratio brings slower acceleration but slightly better gasoline mileage. The Japanese and European editions had a higher final-drive ratio for quicker bursts of speed.

After evaluating both versions, the Japanese and European engineers decided to go with the U.S. edition's gearing as well. Suppliers were contacted, production dates were set.

But Davis then saw the original Japanese-market prototype and was smitten. He felt that the original, higher Japanese final-drive ratio, when mated to the 2.3-liter turbocharged engine's 274 hp and 280 pounds-feet of torque, was better suited for MazdaSpeed6 customers.

"The way the torque comes on, it's actually better with a higher final-drive ratio," he said.

Davis took his case to Jim O'Sullivan, CEO of Mazda North American Operations, who gave Davis his vote of confidence.

The main cause for the 90-day delay was the EPA's recertification process.

Mazda expects U.S. sales of about 6,000 units a year, the most of any market.

As a result of the delay, Japan and Europe will get the initial U.S. production allocation. The United States will get a larger chunk of production down the line.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: MazdaSpeed6 en route...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 11:53:37 am »
*THUD*….snowman falls off chair.
Finally, let engineering dictate what the driver wants….not marketing and the accountants.
People who want to buy a car like the Mazdaspeed6 do not have fuel consumption as a top priority…..there is hope.

mark

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 12:32:44 pm »
Please remind the uninformed (me) what type of AWD system this car will have?
Thanks!

widefire

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 01:41:08 pm »
The only problem I see with the MazdaSpeed6 is that I won't have enough money to deal it by the time they will be all sold out...  ::) :'(

a4_tom

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 04:08:01 pm »
Its already sold out in all GVRD Mazda dealers.

s60

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 06:46:56 pm »
Please remind the uninformed (me) what type of AWD system this car will have?
Thanks!

Mazda's new Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive system makes its debut in the Mazda6 MPS, and is based on the AWD system fitted to some Mazda6 models in some international markets.

The revised AWD system can adjust the front:rear wheel torque distribution between 100:0 and 50:50 and a new rear differential with LSD is employed by the system to deliver a high level of reliability for those driver who will want to thrash the engine to its limits.

The engineers have programmed the AWD system to respond to steering, speed and lateral forces to trigger drive to the rear when it's beneficial.

Mazda's head of research and development Joseph Bakaj says the decision not to develop a fixed, full-time AWD system, like Subaru's, was due to the fuel-consumption penalty from friction in a constant AWD system.

Lots of info here http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1240&press_subsection_id=421&make_id=227

« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 06:53:22 pm by s60 »

davidm

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 11:14:47 pm »
I would have never believed it possible, but someone actually decided in favour of sport over "quiet cruising"  :o  There is a dog ...

gibsonguy

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 09:46:39 pm »
Now will the U.S. be smitten by the higher final drive or will it crash and burn without fuel economy and quiet cruising being the deciding factors ???

perfecto

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 02:45:42 pm »
Now will the U.S. be smitten by the higher final drive or will it crash and burn without fuel economy and quiet cruising being the deciding factors ???

If it does crash and burn, I can safely wager who is going to lose their job over it!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 02:49:09 pm »
Natural Resources Canada tests the things as such low speed I doubt it matters much.

Real world might really take a beating tho.

And right you are, Perfecto  ;)

von_khan

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 08:44:08 pm »
Crash and burn.. hmm... I dunno.. the Speed6 is not marketed as a car that's been designed to deliver fuel economy. I can think of several derogatory things to call someone who goes out to buy one with gas mileage being a primary deciding factor. Unless of course, the actual econ turns out to be absolutely bloody horrible.

Besides, with limited production numbers, there are plenty of happy Mazda owners who would love to move up to a Speed6. There are enough 6 and 3 owners that would make the jump I think. I would if I had the cash.  ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 09:00:49 am »
Never mind the 3 and regular 6 drivers…..the Subaru drivers are keeping an eye on the MPS6. For the price of a base LGT (which will not have an MT5 next year) you get more claimed power (+/-25 hp), MT6, Xenon headlights (low-beam only), and 18” wheels.

I see the 18’s as a negative due to our poor road conditions and the fact a new owner will need to spend $2500 on winter wheels and tires.

The verdict is still not out on the handling abilities of the Mazda awd system. Early tests indicate the is not up to par with Subaru’s, but 90% of the drivers would not notice this.

mark

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 12:56:38 pm »
The verdict is still not out on the handling abilities of the Mazda awd system. Early tests indicate the is not up to par with Subaru’s, but 90% of the drivers would not notice this.

90% of other drivers, or 90% of drivers considering this car vs. a LGT?
I gotta go drive one of these.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 04:22:38 pm »
Was at the local dealer trying to see if I fit in the new Miata…..Yes, very easily with the top up. The Speed has landed in Vancouver and will be in dealerships in one week.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 04:26:11 pm »
...AND........?....!!!!!! ::)........are ya selling Inco ta BUY ONE....Or does Wifey PULL the Ridge Line over yer eyes....!!!?  :D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 04:30:17 pm »
For some silly reason Wiffy wants to save $200 a month on her lease payment. Her options are: Mazda 3, Matrix, or Impreza Wagon….the Ridgeline dream is fading.

widefire

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 04:37:32 pm »
Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, Mazda is bringing like 1000 of them to Canada. So that's not a lot per dealer. Subaru don't have to fear the MS6. Also, I have read lots of review about it and the handling isn't on par with let's say a WRX, STI or even and Evo. The car is great but it's not a racing machine. Also, it weights a lot more than a Mazda6 V6. So the "fun" to drive car is less fun than what people are expecting.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 04:40:53 pm »
...well tell her the MATRIX was a terrible moofie...that leaves the Infiniti M35 with ALL the TOYS..NOW...OR  a down payment on the 2007 BMW M3....when "sex in the City of Subury" is OVER....!!!!!! :-[

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 04:44:40 pm »
Laurence Yapped about the MPS6 in the Star today. It was a mediocre review from the handling prospective but it has all the aesthetic attributes which will bring in most of the sales. The LGT is still king from an enthusiast point of view…..unfortunately with no MT for the base $40k is high for the price of admission.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 05:02:25 pm »
..Snowy...are you ON RITALIN.?.....cheer UP Man......Inco is Gonna make ya STINKO RICH..........Your CAR is at Yer DEMAND.........c'mon back to.MUFFA  EARTH........ :-*