Author Topic: Bugatti Veyron rolls off the line!  (Read 5501 times)

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
Re: Bugatti Veyron rolls off the line!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 03:01:01 pm »
Honda bought BAR's shares like a week ago ... after over a 100 races with the team!  They bought Button's contract ... Honda has money, no suprise there.  They're after Barrichello (a.k.a. Shumi's :censor:) to come drive for them now that Sato is gone to the new mysterious Honda team for 2006 (and it's not Minardi ... now called Toro Rosso by Red Bull).  Sato can thank Honda and their Asian driver policy for that one.

Looks like one of the "big boys" couldn't cut it ... Williams drops BMW engines.  Any takers?

Williams didn't drop BMW at all... Other way around...  The engines were taken from Williams...  BMW bought Sauber and now has a works team...  BMW was fed up with Williams lack of results...

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 06:20:26 pm »
IMHO BMW has to take a part of the blame ... the cars weren't that great this year.  Anyway, I was asking what will William use next year ... ?  Don't tell me they're gonna go with a Ford Cosworth.
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 06:38:02 pm »
I was going to order a couple 'o those new Bugs, but I bet the insurance would be high... ;)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 11:15:03 pm »
The deposit on one was about $300K or some such number. I'm a tad short right now so guess I can't have one.... ;D ;D
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

mdxtasy

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 11:22:10 pm »
What would I buy with $1.2 million.  One of these?  Or 3 Carrera GT's?  Or 1 Carrera GT, 1 SLR, and 1 Enzo. 

This thing is amazing and the performance numbers prove it.  It's a ballistic missle to tell you the truth.  It doesn't look very nice....and at 4300lb...probably can't corner too well either.  I always like to see the entire picture and examine all the factors of the car, acceleration, grip, braking.....this thing sure can go, but there is no mention on how well it does when it comes to stopping or turning.  But at 250mph, it wouldn't matter....you're :censor: anyway.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 01:42:08 am by mdxtasy »

chris

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 10:45:28 am »
Wow, amazing car.  Could this be the "halo" car of "halo" cars???
Also, years ago, didn't callaway (the guy who tuned Vettes) throw a couple turbos on a vette and end up with ~1,000 hp? 

Amazing stuff... although, while this car certainly is crazy fast, I do giggle when I hear auto testers describe the performance of a machine that is not much quicker than your garden variety big bore sport bike.

"It’s just too powerful, too extreme, too darn fast. Nothing, and we mean nothing, can prepare you for the feeling you experience deep within the pit of your stomach the first time you drive it with real purpose. Comparisons with other road cars do not apply, for there simply is no parallel. Not a fair one at least."

"When you’re engaging in such action, the air is literally forced from your lungs as the forces build… and build… and build"

Veyron
0-62 2.5sec
0-125 7.3sec (silly testers... 0-125??? Who compares to 125?)
top speed 250mph
Cost 1.2million USD

Suzuki GSX1300R (source Performance Bikes UK)
0-60 2.8sec
0-100 5.3sec
top speed 200mph (without speed limiter)
Cost roughly $12,000 USD

Suzuki GSXR1000 (source motorcyclyst)
0-60 2.5sec
0-125 5.6sec
top speed 180mph?
Cost roughly $10,000 USD

...although, the next time I see a Veyron on the street, I'll humbly bow out of any races... cuz it IS DEFINITELY dang quick

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 10:49:08 am »
..BUG-ATTI are they a 'division" of VW...?...?....Does the CEO and BOARD ..KNOW about this...or are they the only one's gettin' a FREEBIE...?...... 8)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 11:16:37 am »
Like the Phaeton, it's another one of Piech's baby's.

He wanted it... wanted it to look that way... wanted the 1,001hp (or 987 or whatever different sources claim - at least they found a place for the Passat W8's!)... and wanted it to be the true ultimate grand touring machine. Engineers sweated all the details (along with the threat of losing their jobs I'm sure), and it has been delayed years (along with mass embarrassment), but his baby has been built pretty much as desired. 

CAR has it on their front cover this month and says there's nothing like it. Worth a read if you're in Chapter's or come across the article. The European mags are written so well and have such different analysis.

With all the critism laided against Piech, I'll miss him when he's gone. He's made the companies what they are ruling with his iron fist. Maybe there should have been some compromise to keep costs and weight down on the cars, but his creations really are standouts in their own ways and that's what makes them so special and worth the cost. Very little compromise.

CAR mentions over 30 have been sold so far... first one to be delivered to an American customer. Who's betting on P-Ditty or some such entertainer?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2005, 12:28:14 pm »
..Piech _OFF.....!!!!! he's hurtin' the Co Baybee...some BS decisions were made under his watch..the DAY OF THE TITAN has passed..no one person should "RUN" a car Co (into the Ground in some cases ) AND be outrageously compensated (for his BIG EGO....ME EXCEPTED...!!!!!) :P