Author Topic: 2004-2005 Acura RSX  (Read 10762 times)

Zoidberg

2004-2005 Acura RSX
« on: September 07, 2005, 08:01:27 pm »
Hello, first things first I have been looking for a new or fairly new car for sometime now, and the Acura RSX (and other cars too) have really intrested me recently. I just have a few questions/concerns and if anyone could answer them it would be great.

-I live in an area where there's snow on the ground 6 months of the year or more, how will the RSX handle in the snow? I obviously don't expect it to go through 2 feet of snow, but my main concern is stopping, then going again. I really don't want too much of a hastle of digging it out all the time.

-Also, would it be too much of a risk taking this thing on the highway in the winter in BC?

-Gas milage, what is it exactly? I don't see gas prices going down at all, and this is one of the reasons I am considering switching from my big v8 truck to a more fuel efficient vehicle.

-Paint: One thing that really irks me on cars (especially nice ones) are little dings and scratches, I know you can't control them most of the time, but how does the paint hold up with regards to chipping or peeling?

Thanks for any responses. I'm sure I'll have more questions too!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: 2004-2005 Acura RSX
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 09:29:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Zoid! 

Others will likely be along shortly to convince you to buy something completely different (trust me on this one ;D).  My own two cents, and if I were in your shoes:

1.  Great car.
2.  Nothing beats snow tires in your climate.  Except maybe for AWD + snows.
3.  It will get better gas mileage than your V8.  I'm pretty sure about that.  :)  Exact, real-world numbers can be found here:  http://www.consumerreports.org/main/content/display_report.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=772763&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=389451&bmUID=1126142725413
4.  Where in BC do you live?  We have quite a few regulars on here from your province..

Have fun.  You will get many responses to your question. 

Brigitte

Zoidberg

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 09:47:10 pm »
I live in Revelstoke.

my main concern with this car was how it would respond to the snow we get each year here. I'm not  into "ricing" this thing out, so suggestions towards that will be ignored. Previously (and to a point still am) I was looking at Audi's, Subarus WRX's, but I pretty much know what I want to get.

Thanks for your response!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:51:45 pm »
Welcome Zoidberg.  The RSX is a great machine.  If you search the forum, you'll find plenty of other kudos I've heaped on the car in the past.  The stock Michelins have a reputation for being less than ideal, so snow tires would be a must if you've got "6 months of snow".  With snows, it'll perform just fine in the snow -- as any low-torque FWD vehicle would.

Fuel economy for the Type S model is quite good for a 'sports car' at 10.4 L/ 100km city and 7 L / 100km hwy -- the lower models actually get slightly better fuel economy I believe.

I've heard a number of complaints about the RSX's paint not being as durable as, say that of a Euro car -- but the same can be said for any Honda product I know of, and certainly is true by what I've seen on Imprezas too.  Find one that's nearly-new in condition and have some 3M tape put across the nose and mirrors right away -- this stuff works wonders at keeping the stone chips minimal.

Good luck and keep us posted!
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 11:04:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum zoidberg, I can't see an issue driving the rsx in the winter, I see tons of them around here.  I would get winters tires though, I drove my tiburon in Ottawa with all-seasons on bad snow days it wasn't fun.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 11:13:38 pm »
OK, Zoid, living in Revelstoke you will ABSOLUTELY NEED snow tires on all 4 wheels.

Other than that, the RSX should do just fine. It's a good car.

Where will you be buying, as there is no Acura dealer in Revelstoke, not even a Honda dealer (is there?).

I like Revelstoke but don't think I'd want to deal with all that snow you do get every winter tho. I'm in Kelowna.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

robarakira

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 11:29:53 pm »
Welcome.  I am quite familiar with the RSX and I have spend a lot of time behind the wheel of them. 

regarding paint, I have only noticed problems on the older non-metallic red ones.  Black paint (as all) will show more marks, and living in the interior I would definitly suggest silver or white if you fancy those.  Apparently you enjoy keeping your car in good condition so I would recommend rust proofing as well as waxing in the summer!

The car is great fun.  It will handle our BC mountain corners exceptionally.  It is a well put together car, and although you would be safer hitting a moose in an Excursion, the risks don't outweigh the fun.

In winter, I would 100% recommend winter tires  (not so much around here in Victoria, but anyway).   but this car has a bad fault in not having a LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL which would help greatly in ensuring power is delivered in slippery conditions.  Being a FWD car with no LSD, you will have troubles only really starting (from a stop) to go forward on an upward slope.  Comparitivly a WRX even with stock tires would have no prob.  It also has no traction control so you must take winter seriously.

I once thought to myself when driving through Nelson that although an RSX would be 'funner' in the sun, I would go for the WRX if I lived there.  But I'm happy with FWD in Victoria as we don't know the meaning of winter.

Zoidberg

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 11:51:35 pm »
OK, Zoid, living in Revelstoke you will ABSOLUTELY NEED snow tires on all 4 wheels.

Other than that, the RSX should do just fine. It's a good car.

Where will you be buying, as there is no Acura dealer in Revelstoke, not even a Honda dealer (is there?).

I like Revelstoke but don't think I'd want to deal with all that snow you do get every winter tho. I'm in Kelowna.

Haha, no... there's no Acura dealer here, just a crappy Form dealership. I will definatly not buy into town and will instead rely on AutoTrader to find what I want.

Thanks for all your input everyone, it's greatly appreciated!

avtoller

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 01:10:07 am »
By the way, are you related to this guy?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 01:43:38 am »
"...just a crappy Form dealership"

MMmmm, would that be Foam or Ford???

No GM, no others at all??

Where do Revelstokers buy their cars? Kamloops, Kelowna, and Calgary I'll bet.  ???

Zoidberg

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 02:26:45 am »
Yeah, Kelowna, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Vernon.. I don't know of anyone who buys in town, and I doubt anyone would since you're treated better an you get a better deal out of town.

robarakira

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 02:49:13 am »
Yeah, Kelowna, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Vernon.. I don't know of anyone who buys in town, and I doubt anyone would since you're treated better an you get a better deal out of town.

It's tough.. My friends in Nelson bought an '03 CL Type S in Kelowna.  A pain in the neck on one hand, a reason for a fun drive on the other.  But I've heard you CAN get it serviced at a honda dealership.

Too bad that from my impressions, the domestic dealers do well in the Interior as people buy cheap cars and heavy duty trucks.  The imports seemed to have a bit more trouble from what I recall.

woohoo

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 11:11:18 am »
Remember you won't save quite as much on gas as you think since the RSX takes premium and your V8 truck most likely takes regular.  I've been thinking about getting rid of my V8 truck (99 dakota) for something a bit better on gas too, but you know what?  I can buy a lot of gas for the cost of getting a new vehicle.

Zoidberg

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »
It takes Premium, oh, I didn't know that.. Thanks

JD

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 12:07:35 pm »
There is a *reason* no one around you buys imports... Where are you going to get it serviced if the nearest delaer is over 200k away?

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 04:00:06 pm »
The Type S takes premium...the base and premium models take regular.

I bought an '04 RSX Premium last year (in nighthawk black).  I had no problems driving on the all-seasons last winter (Southern Ontario) on highways and stop and go...although...once they are worn down I'm going to put some winters on the stock 16"s and get some 17"s for the summer.

Re: paint chips...I've had my fair share.  I drive North often so it's unavoidable.  They do show on my hood (esspecially since it's black) but you won't notice them on your bumpers because they're plastic.

All around great car.  Really fun to drive and great materials/quality.

Let me know if you have anymore questions...I'd be happy to give you an unbiased opinion  :)

citydude

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 10:24:21 am »
Hi Zoidberg,

Welcome!  I have a 02 RSX and it takes regular unleaded, my average milage has been 8.2L/100KM.  For comparison, my prevous car was 1.7 EL and my average was 7.4L/100KM.  If you're looking for a Type S, then you'll be spending more since that requires premium.  I would be investing in a set of snow tires on this car for sure, like I did with any other car that I have owned.  My car has 75K, and the only sign of wear is the 'leather' on the seats have become loose, prevous owner must have been a heavier person, or must be a guy that keeps his wallet is his rear pocket.  I don't notice anything wrong with the paint, I am in love with this colour. :)  The stock tires are overpriced, I will be switching to a set of summer rubber next year.  I have driven this car in complete stock form on the track, and I can say it handles well around the corner, however being a heavier car it takes more brake effort to slow it down, and like I said, the stock tires are not that good.

Citydude

jam

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 09:09:36 am »
Hi,

I have a 2004 RSX premium. The car is amazing. The stock tires are crap if you like to drive agressively. The best thing I did was replace them. I have Toyo T1-R summers and Nokian WR winters. This transformed the car's abilities. Now it handles amazing winter and summer.

The car feels like a lot more exepensive car than it is. The hatchback is amazing. Other small performance cars tend to NOT have a rear folding seat, which I don't like.

I had the car a year before paying a dime in maintenance. (first two are FREE)

Stone chips are bad - some are showing rust (after one year)

I have some issues with fuel economy. I will post the question seperately, but I can get more than 50 litres in the tank ????, and my mileage varies from 7.7 - 12.5 l/100km. My driving conditions vary a lot, but...

Get it.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 11:22:27 am »
Jam - if you use touch-up paint and fix those stone chips when they happen, it shouldn't show rust in that spot. Just a thought.  :)

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 04:04:02 pm »
Ovr's right...I bought a little thing of touch-up paint from my Acura dealer that I use to fill the chips...esspecially the deep ones.  No rust.