Author Topic: 2006 Acura EL introduction until November?  (Read 29822 times)

OWG

Re: 2006 Acura EL introduction until November?
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2005, 11:58:09 pm »
my 2 cents about release date.

if the euro civic is the CSX, I am sure marketing guys won't stupid enough to put it in this year.

it will hurt civic's sale badly.

so maybe next year then.

I'm telling you, I've got a new key machine on order for a NEW "EL", which is the first Acura to use Honda's WAVE keys...  As well as 2006 tire sizes, which indudes a size for a new "EL" (205/55R16)...  Something new is on the way, when, I'm not sure...

The CSX is vastly different than a N.A. Civic, so I'm sure it won't hurt sales...  It's costs more as well...

What happened to "I work for Acura...". You were posting that the next EL was going to be the CSX and that it would be the euro civic. I certainly hope you had better information than a key machine and tire sizes to go on. This is why I hate rumours. If you do work for Acura, why don't you do us all a favour and find out when the "official" press release is supposed to take place.

I'm just going off what I've been told and read...  I'm not forcing you to put your life on hold and wait to find out...  This is an automotive forum, and I'm just discussing a topic, not spreading rumours and forcing people to believe me...  I'm just sharing what I know, and what proof I have.  I'm not saying others are wrong, and I could be wrong, but then again, I could be right...  Don't get your panties in a knot... We're talking about a car...

OK, so enough about your embarassment. As an "Agent of Acura" are you going to find out the official information release date or not??

avtoller

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2005, 01:04:27 am »

OK, so enough about your embarassment. As an "Agent of Acura" are you going to find out the official information release date or not??

We try to be civil on these boards. If you wish to receive cooperation, I would suggest that you leave the "attitude" at the door.  :( :( :(

canadacraig

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2005, 05:49:45 am »
Hi Everyone!! :)

footlong58 is absolutely right. This is about a CAR. IF someone believes that something might be true [for whatever reason] and shares that belief with us - AND it all turns out to be NOT so true - SO WHAT? I've been wrong so many times that I gave up counting. Of course - it's always best to share an opinion [no matter how confident we may be OF that opinion] with humility - just in case - but I see no harm in sharing anything and everything. It's all those little pieces of info that help me to form my opinions.

That said... what ENGINE will the EL/CSX have?!

Craig!! :)

JD

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2005, 01:28:31 pm »
I am confused with all the rumours going around, even after watching the video!  :-\

From what I understand from the latest info gathered (aka the video and the incoherent posts on that site...), the new EL is based on the new Canadian/US market Civic, but has pretty much the same tail lights as the JDM civic?

As for the engine, it's got to be like the EL has always been - Top line Civic.  However, with no auto for the 2.0L 197HP engine, plus the fact that a 200HP engine would encroach on the TSX, it's a common guess that it will have the rumored 155-160HP engine, possibly a de-tuned version of the 2.0L.

OWG

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2005, 01:45:58 pm »
I am confused with all the rumours going around, even after watching the video!  :-\

From what I understand from the latest info gathered (aka the video and the incoherent posts on that site...), the new EL is based on the new Canadian/US market Civic, but has pretty much the same tail lights as the JDM civic?

As for the engine, it's got to be like the EL has always been - Top line Civic.  However, with no auto for the 2.0L 197HP engine, plus the fact that a 200HP engine would encroach on the TSX, it's a common guess that it will have the rumored 155-160HP engine, possibly a de-tuned version of the 2.0L.

EL has not been based on the top line civic, only the Si. In this case the Si (or EX in the US) is a standard SOHC 1.8l 140hp engine. The SiR is the DOHC 200 (197 SAE). Previously the Si was 127hp, El was the same and SiR was 160hp.

Sorry for the earlier comments. I will stick with www.vtec.net to get my facts.

JD

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2005, 02:47:59 pm »
Acutally, it was based on the top of the line Civic.. Sedan!

So whatever they sell as the top civic SEDAN here in CANADA, they add the acura goodies and call it an EL

I doubt they will deviate much from that path... Looks like a USDM Civic with JDM tail lights and probably the 1.8L massaged to 155-160 hp

OWG

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2005, 04:35:10 pm »
Acutally, it was based on the top of the line Civic.. Sedan!

So whatever they sell as the top civic SEDAN here in CANADA, they add the acura goodies and call it an EL

I doubt they will deviate much from that path... Looks like a USDM Civic with JDM tail lights and probably the 1.8L massaged to 155-160 hp

To be really correct, it would be Civic sedan body, Civic Si engine  ;)

a4_tom

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2005, 06:49:56 pm »
Both generations of ELs are basically Civic EX with different tailights, headlights, interior trim and materials. The 97-02 EL was called Civic Domani in JDM market.

JD

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2005, 12:11:10 pm »

Actually, they aren't using the Civic Si engine... They're using a 155-160HP version of the 1.8L civic motor, not the 2.0L Civic Si motor.

OWG

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2005, 02:49:59 pm »

Actually, they aren't using the Civic Si engine... They're using a 155-160HP version of the 1.8L civic motor, not the 2.0L Civic Si motor.

In Canada it is the SiR. The Si here is the EX Coupe in the US.

There were early (March05) posts at vtec in the EL forums from a guy named chris_5758. He claimed to be an employee of Honda Canada and had a lot of detailed information about the Civic that turned out to be true. At the time he also said that the EL/CSX would have two choices of engine.

All I can say about the EL is that it will be 200 HP. A person working directly on the new model El / Civic told me 180 and 200. So it looks like the El might be getting two motor options.

More info that is exact with what we've seen already from the Civic:

From what I saw of the EL, it's moving upscale. Nice entertainment system in it! It had AM FM CD DVD 5.1 (WITH SUB) NAVI, XM SAt ready and the sceen folds down to reveil a MP3 player and drives for the DVD and CD players! Not sure if it will play movie DVD's or if it's just the drive for the NAVI mapping software.

From this info/rumour, it looks like it may only get the 2.0. One detuned to 180, the other left at 200.

He also mentioned that there would be paddle shifters.

Now, I tend to put stock into what he posted and here is my reasoning:

1. According to this quote from Jeff (senior official at VTec), Honda was going nuts about the posts. Why would they care if it wasn't true?
Anyhow, apparently the people at Honda saw it even before I did and there was quite an internal disturbance - I was not aware of this until after I reached Florida (and again, it was too late).

2. He gave a lot of detailed information. Engine part numbers, interior info, etc. Things that no one would know unless they were actually there and saw it.

3. He disappeared from the groups immediately after this series of posts and has never been seen since.

4. This is a bit weaker, but he mentioned XM ready on the EL/CSX's entertainment system. At first I thought, "yeah right this guy is full of crap, there is no XM service in Canada" until I noticed a posting at Bestbuy.ca talking about XM coming to Canada this fall. Would be perfect timing wouldn't it?

5. My Acura dealerships sales manager continues to tell me that he was told that the new EL/CSX would be considerably different from the Civic Sedan (the first time he mentioned that to me was well over a year ago). If the spy photo is the EL/CSX(which I believe it is), then it is obvious that it looks very similar to the 2006 civic. That leaves only one area to be significantly different, and that is the engine.

Anyways, my thoughts. No facts here, just speculation based upon various things I've read.

Any opinions? Anyone see a hole in this at all?

Offline lee_8

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2005, 03:03:09 pm »
This person claims to work for HCM.  I believe this supports the 200 hp claim but didn't Chris claim that the engine was to be an R-Series engine?

Nosh
 F.Y.I [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal)  09-08-2005 22:28

The CSX specs are still under construction so to speak.

It will however be given the Si engine

(K20z)

There is talk of an awd option among other things. 

Offline lee_8

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2005, 03:10:45 pm »
Sorry I think I misunderstood his posts im just so used to seeing EX from vtec.net instead of Si.  I believe he was mentioning the R-series engines in the non SiR civics.  I do agree with OWG on the accuracy of his posts he also mentioned the double dash and the electric power steering on the SiR before anyone else did.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2005, 04:42:16 pm »
The double dash, LED tail lamps, etc have been visible in spy photos for months now tho, and the engine hp figures rumoured for more than a few months. Clearly people close to the project know more about it, but that much was fairly certain.

In any case, it would make sense that the EL get the larger engine as the coupes and Si's will now be built in Alliston, so the engine would be right there. However, perhaps de-tuning it would also make some sense as the TSX and RSX are barely above 200hp themselves and command more money. The rumoured 160hp or 180 would be a great fitment. 200hp even better, but they may save it for the Si only. Who knows? We shall soon find out.

You can have an XM-provisioned or 'ready' audio unit in anticipation of the service becoming available as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 04:44:57 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline lee_8

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2005, 05:02:37 pm »
He posted the info about the double dash in march well before the spy shots that we have seen on the internet.  All I was trying to say was maybe there is some truth to his claims of paddle shifters and a 200 hp engine.  In any event lets all keep our fingers crossed for something other than a civic wrapped in leather.

Offline lee_8

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2005, 05:16:29 pm »
I agree with you about detuning the engines though.  Having a 200 hp EL doesnt make sence when the rsx and tsx are so close in power and cost around mid 30s.  If the rumors are true I wonder what the new price will be for this car.

a4_tom

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2005, 05:54:12 pm »
Even if the new engine does have 200hp, Honda Canada should be smart enough to "detuned" the numbers in brochure just to make room for TSX/RSX's survival.

OWG

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2005, 07:15:50 pm »
Even if the new engine does have 200hp, Honda Canada should be smart enough to "detuned" the numbers in brochure just to make room for TSX/RSX's survival.

I understand what you're saying, but the TSX is truly a different car. Whether they had the same horsepower or not isn't going to change the mind of someone intereseted in the TSX IMO.  You can't forget the fact that the CSX is still based upon the civic and its platform. The TSX has a lot of refinement that the CSX just won't have. If anything, I can see how an upmarket CSX could steer people to the TSX. If it comes in around 28-30, you're really not that far from the TSX. the RSX is on the way out, not sure how much they really care about it's sales at this point...

hndaadct

2006 Acura EL hybrid
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2005, 07:20:16 pm »
Just a thought. Wouldn't it be great if the second engine in the EL were a hydrid. Not the same as in the civic hybrid, but something more performance oriented a la accord hybrid. A base EL with 160hp and a reasonable price and a loaded EL with a 200hp hybrid engine encroching on the rsx-s/tsx price.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 08:47:45 pm by hndaadct »

robarakira

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2005, 05:43:02 pm »

JD

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2005, 08:13:46 pm »
... Is there something new at that lnik that's already been posted?  ???