Author Topic: Mercedes B-Class  (Read 20597 times)

a4_tom

Re: Mercedes B-Class
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2005, 11:32:15 am »
Xenon is for low-beam only, bi-Xenon is for both high and low beams.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2005, 12:25:13 pm »
Xenon is for low-beam only, bi-Xenon is for both high and low beams.

Ahhh that makes sense. Thanks!

a4_tom

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2005, 02:40:25 pm »
Didn't test drive it this morning. My friend is as busy as usual in one of Westcoast's largest Mercedes Canada dealers. :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2005, 05:26:26 pm »
Bi-Xenon lights took some time to come along, because they use one bulb, like "normal" Xenon lights, but use a shutter system to redirect the light to the high beam lense.  It's a little tricky, as is the "following" feature.

I've had a chnace to drive behind them (not with the following feature) and love them, but given MB's reliability record concerning gadgets and gizmos, I would be a little hesitant.  Many early W210 owners with early Xenon lights got hit with $1800 repair bills for their lighting systems.

66coronet

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2005, 11:52:57 am »
Posted By http://www.eMercedesBenz.com/Oct05/04BClas...dInAmerica.html
on October 04, 2005 at 10:27 AM CST

Yesterday, we received an email from one of our readers saying he had
spotted both the B-Class and A-Class models in America. The cars
were being unloaded from a Martinair cargo plane into an enclosed car
carrier at the Denver International Airport, along with several other
Mercedes models, including an ML-Class, a CLS, and a 2007 S-Class.

Does this mean Mercedes if finally bringing the mini-Mercedes to
America? Unfortunately, I doubt it, at least not yet. Judging from
the fact there were so many different Mercedes models in addition to
the B-Class and A-Class, I would have to guess the cars might have
been taken to a photo shoot or some type of promotional event. My
other guess is the vehicles may be used for either road or crash
testing, but it's difficult to say.

Either way, it's still one step closer for anyone dreaming about
Mercedes bringing the B-Class to America.

Offline GTI-Gabe

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Golf GTI; 2006 Jetta 2.5L; Mazda 3; BMW 323i; BMW X1 (all standard cars except X1)
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2005, 05:52:35 pm »
Posted By http://www.eMercedesBenz.com/Oct05/04BClas...dInAmerica.html
on October 04, 2005 at 10:27 AM CST

Either way, it's still one step closer for anyone dreaming about
Mercedes bringing the B-Class to America.

America = USA

B-Class already in Canada and I don't expect the A-Class in North America since it would eat
some of the SMART sales.
Viva el coche!

joie_de_vivre

« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2005, 02:38:47 pm »
The latest German magazine AutoBild, the largest automotive paper in Europe, made a comparison between 5 popular subcompact minivans: MB B-Class, Mazda5, Toyota Corolla Verso, Opel Zafira and Ford Focus C-Max.

AutoBild makes good comparisons, because they offer two different test results, first is without price and resale value, and the second one with these two criteria included.
The Mazda5 won the test part, but due to higher costs became 2nd after the Opel. Ford came to 3dr place, Toyota to 4th and, beleive it or not, B-class was the last. About the 5 they say: large amount of space, very variable interior, comfortable und well equipped. A great compact van for all needs, but the price isn't really attractive and its resale value probably not good (German journalists complain about resale value on every non-German car).
The B-Class won the last place because of the high price (B200), poor equipment and lack of space.

What they say about the rest, not available to Canadian drivers:

Opel Zafira: its test characteristics are just a point worse than those of the Mazda, but it has a better resale value (which should be true, the Zafira is the most wanted used minivan).
Ford Focus C-Max: a true sportsvan, made for daddies. But families need space and the C-Max  doesn't offer a lot of it.
Toyota Corolla Verso: well priced, but less exhilarating. Has practical qualities.

I scanned the pages, they're of course in German, but you can take a look at the pics despite that:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 02:41:13 pm by joie_de_vivre »

davidm

« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2005, 04:19:10 pm »
Saw one in the flesh yesterday.  Looks VERY European, more so than many of our other vehicles.  Looks a little goofy - very high and it doesn't pull it off the way others (Echo/Yaris) do.  Overall, I would give it a thums down for looks.  Also, the base wheels are very unattractive.  Didn't get inside - just a first impression from 30 seconds next to one.

a4_tom

« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2005, 04:30:54 pm »
After driven B-class and Mazda5, I agree latter's dyanmics are much superior to former which is lacking dynamically.